Moving the winch solenoid top under the hood - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-01-2010, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Moving the winch solenoid top under the hood

Ok..thanks to the NY winter, the wiring for my winch solenoid corroded out. I'm going to mount it on the firewall behind the battery.
I'm running into a problem finding the wire to go from the solenoid to the winch. no one seems to have anything that seems rated for a winch.

1) does anyone know what amperage i have to be rated for to keep from melting wires?

2) will something like this work?
http://www.amazon.com/BullDog-Winch-...0129751&sr=8-5

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimscale View Post
Ok..thanks to the NY winter, the wiring for my winch solenoid corroded out. I'm going to mount it on the firewall behind the battery.
I'm running into a problem finding the wire to go from the solenoid to the winch. no one seems to have anything that seems rated for a winch.

1) does anyone know what amperage i have to be rated for to keep from melting wires?

2) will something like this work?
http://www.amazon.com/BullDog-Winch-...0129751&sr=8-5
Thanks
Can you strip down the old wires to where it's not corroded and get a fix on what gauge it was? You should be able to get something a a Lowes or a Home depot and wire it up yourself.

post #3 of 13 Old 04-01-2010, 09:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Google "Winch Wiring Gauge"

6 gauge and you can try either a welding supply shop or a higher end auto shop that can order extra long cables for you. Or again Google that phrase and click on "shopping results" for more ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-02-2010, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My local Lowes has 2gauge....but it says it's only rated for 200amps.
I thought I read in here somewhere that a Smittybilt XRC8 ran 400 amps?
post #5 of 13 Old 04-02-2010, 06:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

You can have wire that is 2gauge and be crap (low amps). In the simplest terms, the more little thin wires inside, the better. On the cheap wire, if you look inside, you'll notice that there are few thicker wire strands, to make up the gauge diameter.

Like Loki said, try a welding supply shop. But I would also suggest you try a marine supply shop. Unlike welding cable or SAE wire, marine grade battery cable features tinned copper strand. Although more expensive, it will last longer as it's less prone to corrosion.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99˘ a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.

Last edited by idrivejeep; 04-02-2010 at 06:31 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Granite Guru

I would like to put mine under the hood but havnt gotten around to it. So i put some electrical grease on the connections. Has anyone done that? If so will it help the corosion?
post #7 of 13 Old 04-02-2010, 03:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Like the others. Try a welding supply or farm supply store and ask for Arc welder ground cable. It's some of the highest current rated cable you can buy on the cheap and it's very flexable. Marine grade works great too, but it's a bit higher.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Granite Guru

I used 2 gauge welding cable. My solenoid pack was relocated to behind the passenger seat. The cable consist of many fine copper wires.

2009 JK Rubicon:
post #9 of 13 Old 04-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Granite Guru

I did it just before winter for my LP8500. It looks slick but my pay in solenoid still shit the bed this winter. On my new build I am ditching it.

FWIW I used welding cable bought at the Canadian verion of Harbour Freight
4ga if I remember correctly.

"And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
post #10 of 13 Old 04-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Granite Guru

The best place I have found online for heavy duty cables seems to be http://www.genuinedealz.com

They usually seem to have good prices for very high quality wire and cable and the shipping is fast and has always been Priority Mail so only a couple days.

They also sell their stuff on eBay and sometimes it's a little cheaper.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #11 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 07:12 AM
JKO Addict!

looks like that company offers a 2 AWG at 600V...anyone can equate that to Amps?

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #12 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
looks like that company offers a 2 AWG at 600V...anyone can equate that to Amps?
You can't just equate something to amps like that. The 600 volts is the insulation rating. Since we are talking about 12 volts DC any of the wire they sell would be fine. The cables they sell are made up of many small strands which is the best for use on a vehicle.

Go to their technical section and they have some tables and a voltage drop calculator. You can use it to get an idea of the interaction between cable size, circuit length, and amperage. The higher the voltage drop, the more heat generated within the cable and the less power available to the winch motor.

Keep in mind their recommendation of limiting a curcuit to 3% voltage drop is for a continuous type of circuit where the current will flowing for hours. With typical winch usage, the actual running time will be very short and heat build up doesn't really matter.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #13 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Wheeler

I had the same issue and went through the same search and didnt come up with much from electrical stores etc. then it dawned on me.
This is on a warn winch. Out of the box, it came with two 6 foot cables to run from the battery to the solenoid box. Then it had 3 short cables to run from the solenoid box to the winch.

i ended up ordering two replacement warn 6ft black battery cables (2ga. fine wire) from 4wheel parts (warn part number 15901). i think they were around $20 each.

http://www.warn.com/truck/Replacemen...srrpl9.5xp.pdf

i mounted the solenoid box near the battery. Used two of the short cables to connect the battery to the solenoid. Then i used the 4 long cables to route from the winch to the solenoid box/battery. Its basically just switching wires around.

none of the 2 gauge wire i could find in electical houses was fine strand. the warn wires were fine strand so its more flexible for routing + it also had lugs on the end.

hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode