Nighttime illum tie-in point and other wiring questions. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-03-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Nighttime illum tie-in point and other wiring questions.

I picked up an A-pillar 4 switch doodad. The switches I'm getting (currently from otrattw) have a backlit function as well as illumination when activated.

Where's a good point to tie into the existing electrical system so that when my dash/etc lights are on (as in DRL/headlights on) the switches are backlit as well?

Next:

I'm planning on a common hot for power, common vehicle switched (Dash lights) hot for backlighting, common ground for backlight + activated lighting, and individual outputs to relays for associated accessories.

Going off amperage numbers, I should be fine with all 18g to the switch pod and 10g going to accessories off the relay panel I'll be running that will be colocated with a 6 position fuse block.

Anything anyone see wrong with doing things that way?

Last edited by RSOV Mk2; 05-04-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-04-2015, 10:39 PM
Wheeler

I pulled my switch backlight wire off of the running light circuit. It's in the small harness running along the drivers door jamb. The only downside to this is it does not dim, but it really isn't an issue for me, and was easier to access and tap than a circuit that did dim.

I pulled the switched power to activate the relays from a circuit in the steering column. I had found a wiring diagram on some forum or another. You can also get switched power from the cigarette lighter, but on the '13s like mine it was a pain to get to.

small gauge is fine for the relay activation circuits and switch lighting, I don't remember what I used, maybe 16ga. 10ga on the toys hooked to the relays is beef, perfect for lights, maybe overkill for an electric compressor, but hey, bigger is better.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-05-2015, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah, I figured I would just pick up a spool of 10g marine duplex (dual lead with sleeving) and be golden for running basically anything I wanted to, within reason. It'd also make it simpler for wiring, especially in concert with a label maker for remembering whos what and where the hell does this go, etc.

Dimming isn't an issue since they're LED and LED's don't really do dimming too hot. Since it's just text being illuminated with red light, I'm not overly concerned... the brightness actually looks to be just right, but I'll test by powering everything up ad-hoc prior to install to make sure it's not going to drive me nuts.

Not *AS* concerned about switched power, since everything I will have switch activated, I want to be able to turn off/on regardless of the rig being running or not. All aux lighting I'm putting on this rig is LED and I'm shooting for a max draw by the lighting of 50 amps... but that's rear + sides + front-FLeft-FRight all being on at once, which wouldn't be something that I would usually end up having to do... I want 360 light if I need it, but more than anything it'd end up being "scene lighting" to whatever side is necessary, for on-trail assistance or simply seeing what's what.

I'm still tempted to get a sPOD, but I think I'll hold off since I can do this relatively cheaply, where an sPOD is on the order of a solid chunk of an underbody skid package, lift kit, or anything else. Figure I can just do left/right/all for floods and get a 3 position switch for a locker override (off, rear, both) then anything extra I decide that needs to be switched, I can sPOD it up if it comes to that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode