Adjusting Truck-lite Headlights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-30-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Adjusting Truck-lite Headlights

Just installed some Trucklite LEDs and need to adjust them. I have the Rugged Ridge trim rings in the grill and I can't see the adjustment screws fully. Are they Phillip heads, Allen heads, or what? I could pull the grill off again but that would be too easy. Also for adjusting them vertically would I use the inboard or outboard screws? Thanks............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-30-2015, 06:45 PM
Rock God

torx screws. and only the vertical is adjustable on the US models. You can order the torx screws to make the horizontal adjustable. It is a pain but worth the effort. I think they are 15 torx but I can't remember for sure.

Last edited by Jadmt; 04-30-2015 at 06:55 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-01-2015, 06:51 AM
JKowners Vendor

They are the 15 torx, and the horizontal adjustment is worth it. Takes about 15 min per side to install and will allow you to adjust the headlights horizontal while they are on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-01-2015, 08:31 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanche91 View Post
Just installed some Trucklite LEDs and need to adjust them. I have the Rugged Ridge trim rings in the grill and I can't see the adjustment screws fully. Are they Phillip heads, Allen heads, or what? I could pull the grill off again but that would be too easy. Also for adjusting them vertically would I use the inboard or outboard screws? Thanks............
Pop the trim off, and adjust with the aforementioned 15 torx...you'll want a long thin one if you don't plan on taking the grill off. The vertical adjustment can be found near the upper and outside part of the headlight when looking at it head on.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Granite Guru

I also have trim rings and when I go to install my TLs I'm going to drill holes into the trim so I can adjust them with the grill on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2010 JKU Sahara
Teraflex 2.5 Coil Lift w/ 9550 Shocks
Teraflex Quick Disconnects
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17
Superchips Flashpaq
post #6 of 17 Old 05-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Granite Guru

i got one of these so i can adjust without removing the grill

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #7 of 17 Old 05-01-2015, 10:18 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
torx screws. and only the vertical is adjustable on the US models. You can order the torx screws to make the horizontal adjustable. It is a pain but worth the effort. I think they are 15 torx but I can't remember for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm36 View Post
They are the 15 torx, and the horizontal adjustment is worth it. Takes about 15 min per side to install and will allow you to adjust the headlights horizontal while they are on.
For reference, these are the screws (Mopar part# 55078114AA):

Lower item is the factory fixed standoff that the adjuster screw replaces.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #8 of 17 Old 05-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For reference, these are the screws (Mopar part# 55078114AA):

Lower item is the factory fixed standoff that the adjuster screw replaces.
Thanks for this. Just came across it and had my dealer order me a pair of these.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #9 of 17 Old 05-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Thanks for this. Just came across it and had my dealer order me a pair of these.
It does make a big difference getting the horizontal adjustment to get rid of the big X crossing of the beams. It is a bit of a pain and becareful not to break your retaining ring that holds the screws as it is not available as a separate part. I used a heat gun to heat the plastic up a bit so the old dummy screws would pop out and the new adjustable ones would pop in. there is a great write up on wrangler forum.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Granite Guru

Just ordered some off eBay will be here Thursday.

2010 JKU Sahara
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Superchips Flashpaq
post #11 of 17 Old 05-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
It does make a big difference getting the horizontal adjustment to get rid of the big X crossing of the beams. It is a bit of a pain and becareful not to break your retaining ring that holds the screws as it is not available as a separate part. I used a heat gun to heat the plastic up a bit so the old dummy screws would pop out and the new adjustable ones would pop in. there is a great write up on wrangler forum.
Thanks. I haven't been called yet from Dodge, but I assume they'll arrive this week. Will take a look over there to read the write up before tackling this.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #12 of 17 Old 05-06-2015, 01:12 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

If by chance you do snap any of the retainer fingers on the adjustment ring, you can get a new headlight with the ring for about 45-50 bucks on Rock Auto, which beats the 180 the dealer wanted for the same assembly. Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Granite Guru

Got mine today and just finished putting them. Waiting for it to get dark so I can adjust.

2010 JKU Sahara
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Superchips Flashpaq
post #14 of 17 Old 05-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
If by chance you do snap any of the retainer fingers on the adjustment ring, you can get a new headlight with the ring for about 45-50 bucks on Rock Auto, which beats the 180 the dealer wanted for the same assembly. Don't ask.

Hahaha. I had the same "by chance" you did. I used a nut on the outside of the adjustment screw so it didn't get pulled in and a spacer inside to push the headlight in place while my replacement came in. Ordered mine from Morris for about 60 bucks. I kinda want to ask though...how did you do it. I broke mine in a fit of dumbassness.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Wheeler

I replaced mine recently and I ran the plastic ring under hot water before I tried to pop out the original screw. I took a small bladed screwdriver and slipped it into one of the slots in the plastic, twisted a little and the OE screw popped out easily. Good luck!
post #16 of 17 Old 05-06-2015, 10:34 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I work on things with the finesse of an epileptic arm wrestler sometimes. I bought those fucking screws, got them home from the dealer. Pulled the passenger headlight, went to remove the ring from the pivots and adjuster and snapped both sets of pivot fingers rendering the ring nearly worthless. Then I saw the coarse threads on the pivot screws, then looked at the adjusters with the fine thread and I was like, nope! Epoxy'd the ring in place until the new one came and just decided to leave the lights installed sans adjusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-07-2015, 04:30 AM
Granite Guru

Got mine adjusted last night. Instead of the big Y or X in the middle I was able to get 2 little upside down triangles on either side of the road.

Also I removed the screw and studs all together to pull the ring off. Then gently wiggled the stud till it came out. Had no issues, breaks, or cracks.

2010 JKU Sahara
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Superchips Flashpaq

Last edited by HighTower; 05-07-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode