Speedo not reading computer/CANBUS accuratley - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-29-2015, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Speedo not reading computer/CANBUS accuratley

I did some searching on this and came up with nothing relevant so I though I would throw it out to you all.

Since I bought this 07 Jeep from auciton it has had super hyper ABS in right turns. Almost locks up the right rear. Have changed out the Clockspring 3 times and never changed anything. All of the wheel sensors have been changed as well and read correctly.

The speedo was way off, I was modifiying it anyway so it didnt matter to me.

Now mods are done and trying to correct the issues. I bought a AEV Procal and did all the right steps. GPS and Computer speed match when checking with OBDII connector while driving. The speedo is showing 10MPH off but that varies thru out the speed.

Can it be that is just a bad Spedo guage?

Is it more likey that the CANBUS is not sending it the right signal?

Or is the Computer/CANBUS feeding the correct informaiton that i am seeing with the OBDII scanner?

I talked with Robbie out at MOTECH and he had seen it before and thought it was more of a CANBUS problem.

I know if i buy another cluster the mileage will be off.

What do you think?

Thanks Tony

Last edited by 68w30; 04-29-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: forgot facts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-29-2015, 03:38 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68w30 View Post
I did some searching on this and came up with nothing relevant so I though I would throw it out to you all.

Since I bought this 07 Jeep from auciton it has had super hyper ABS in right turns. Almost locks up the right rear. Have changed out the Clockspring 3 times and never changed anything. All of the wheel sensors have been changed as well and read correctly.

The speedo was way off, I was modifiying it anyway so it didnt matter to me.

Now mods are done and trying to correct the issues. I bought a AEV Procal and did all the right steps. GPS and Computer speed match when checking with OBDII connector while driving. The speedo is showing 10MPH off but that varies thru out the speed.

Can it be that is just a bad Spedo guage?

Is it more likey that the CANBUS is not sending it the right signal?

Or is the Computer/CANBUS feeding the correct informaiton that i am seeing with the OBDII scanner?

I talked with Robbie out at MOTECH and he had seen it before and thought it was more of a CANBUS problem.

I know if i buy another cluster the mileage will be off.

What do you think?

Thanks Tony
Is it possible your JK was export from Canada or Mexico?

MoTech
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-29-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yeppers, Canada. I called Chrysler and asked them like we had talked about but got nowhere with them. The dealer here want me to authorize a shit ton of money to just take a look at it and is disregarding most of what I told him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-29-2015, 06:16 PM
JKowners Vendor

I'm not sure if a network configuration will work even you replaced the cluster. VSS is sensed by the ABS module and transmitted on the bus for other module's to use. These other modules are configured for kph by your vehicles engineering files.

There is a process to bring a vehicle into the states, but it entails a special process that requires a new configuration and hardware. I just had a Cadillac here that was built in the US, sold in Canada then brought back to the US. Several monitors were set to NA and the lab wouldn't pass it. I contacted GM who supplied us with a US to Canada to US configuration, they charged us $300 for this calibration then we had to go to the State and prove it was a valid USEPA cal even though it was not a US or Canadian cal, it was a Canada to US cal that was all on it's own.

I assume Chrysler will have a similar process and want to change out several components.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #5 of 8 Old 04-30-2015, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Maybe checking with a dealer closer to the border may be the route to go. I will try that and see what they say.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-30-2015, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Lol, I just spent an hour on the phone with Chrysler customer support. They transferred me back and forth from Canada to the US. They contacted the dealer and said they understand my frustration but cannot do any thing because it is the MOTECH conversion not being compatible. I keep telling them that there are 1000s of these driving around the country and I'm the only one with the problem. AND IT WAS A PROBLEM BEFORE THE CONVERSION!!! But they won't listen and say there is no programming and nothing they can do.

A little frustrated with
chrysler at this point. Is there any one near the border that knowledge of converting chryslers that are imported?
post #7 of 8 Old 04-30-2015, 11:26 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68w30 View Post
Lol, I just spent an hour on the phone with Chrysler customer support. They transferred me back and forth from Canada to the US. They contacted the dealer and said they understand my frustration but cannot do any thing because it is the MOTECH conversion not being compatible. I keep telling them that there are 1000s of these driving around the country and I'm the only one with the problem. AND IT WAS A PROBLEM BEFORE THE CONVERSION!!! But they won't listen and say there is no programming and nothing they can do.

A little frustrated with
chrysler at this point. Is there any one near the border that knowledge of converting chryslers that are imported?
In a perfect world they expect the export vehicle will be taken to a conversion facility where they will bring the vehicle into compliance. In the old days lights, bumpers, emissions, glass, etc were all different and had to be brought up to DOT standards. Today emissions, and some safety items are still different but getting more similar in Canadian JK's. DRL and other embedded software(like DRL) is different in the Canadian Jk's. You can't even use Canadian Sirius service in a US JK unless you switch serial numbers and accounts over. Vehicles from some countries cannot be brought here because the differences are too great and the manufacturer will not support it, like diesels and RHD vehicles with vastly different emissions.

Once the JK got into your hands and registered it makes it more difficult to get the process done, and not many shops can do it, I don't think most dealers can even do it. Dealers can request vehicle configuration changes like if you added a hardtop but I believe importing a export vehicle requires a level of software above and beyond the average dealers capability.

As far as Chrysler goes you have a modded vehicle so that is an out regardless of the facts. I just had a guy denied a TIPM claim in a Pentstar JK because he had a lift and bumpers, no engine mods. The reasoning was the lights may have been changed affecting the TIPM; however, it was the power door locks that quit, a very common problem.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #8 of 8 Old 04-30-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I just stumbled across safety recall F50 for rear brakes locking up. I've also read that it could effect the speedo. I checked the dates for the recall build dates and mine was made 4 days after the recall specific build dates. I'm thinking because my jeep isn't flagged for it in chrysler's system that no one has checked it. Now i just have to get a dealer to try it. But the Canada hurdle is throwing a wrench into it. I may just have to buy a new abs module with the corrected programming in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode