JKOwners Forum banner

Door locks doing their own thing

53K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  snout 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has a solution for an issue like this...

I lock my 2008 Wrangler with my remote key lock by pushing the lock button as I walk away. Then it automatically unlocks itself and puts the headlights on. Then a few minutes later it locks again and the headlights go off. I'm not touching the remote key either. As a result, overnight, I'll wake up and the battery is completely dead. Assuming the Jeep is doing this all night long.

Help!

#3 ·
Hi all,
Was wondering if anyone has a solution for an issue as this...
I lock my 2008 Wrangler with my remote key lock by pushing the lock button as I walk away. Then it automatically unlocks itself and puts the head lights on. Then a few minutes later it locks again and head lights go off. I'm not touching the remote key either. As a result, over night, I'll wake up and the battery is completely dead. Assuming the Jeep is doing this all night long. Help!
Charge your battery and after it's charged, disconnect your battery leads and touch them together. You may or may not get a spark but it's OK. Reconnect them. Try the remote locks and wait around to see if it the locks stay locked and your headlights turn off. Sounds like your pewter needs to get slapped around a little. Post up the results.

#6 ·
Hi all,
Was wondering if anyone has a solution for an issue as this...
I lock my 2008 Wrangler with my remote key lock by pushing the lock button as I walk away. Then it automatically unlocks itself and puts the head lights on. Then a few minutes later it locks again and head lights go off. I'm not touching the remote key either. As a result, over night, I'll wake up and the battery is completely dead. Assuming the Jeep is doing this all night long. Help!
Any other issues, like intermittent horn, wiper, or window activity along with this?

#12 ·
I'm having this problem as well! I also have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. It just started acting up last night: unlocking the doors/interior lights and headlights stay on for 30 seconds.

Did anyone ever get this problem resolved?

Should I just replace my battery or is it a more serious issue like the TIPM?

#14 ·
2010 JKU here and was recently having similar problems with the locks randomly engaging. Had the TIPM replaced for a hefty price at the dealership. Once I got it back home, the symptoms manifest themselves. Broke down, finally bought an OBD reader and noted that the transponder from the key was continually pinging the vehicle. Took the battery out, gremlins are now gone.

#21 ·
No, it's not a reprimand, it is pointing out your (and several before you) behavior of dredging up ancient threads, which specifically say right above the reply box:
"This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread."

If you actually read the thread you might have noticed that it went nowhere.

You are crapping up old threads that do not get a reply. You are crapping up old threads with no useful info other than "you have a 2008 4dr Rubicon" and the always popular "any luck". You are crapping up threads before you read about how this forum works.

Try meeting us halfway and provide some useful info. Put in some effort. We aren't here to spoon feed you with every little thing.
Introduce yourself to the forum, say hello, post in the welcome area. Instead you're here for free troubleshooting with no effort. Try being a human being before you just demand answers.

I'm sorry we didn't drop everything and fix your problem, your majesty. I'm sorry we didn't take your door count and model year as a robust list of diagnostic info to zero in and solve your problems at 7am. I'm sorry you're butt hurt because I asked you to open a new thread.

Welcome to JKO.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
I did read the thread, and every single post, and you're right, went nowhere, like most. I've read quite a few of the posts over the years and didn't need any help at the time. But you saying I'm butt hurt, Calling me your majesty, ???, sounds like you are pretty much butt hurt, no biggie on my end, I'll figure it out, don't need or asked anyone to go outta their way.

For example, I've made many posts on YouTube inquiring about a song., a movie, on a post that's old, get a response most of the time without someone being an ass, you might want to try to live by your own words, TRY BEING A HUMAN BEING, hope you have a wonderful day, God bless 🙌

#23 ·
Glad we have that settled, now, on to your problem, your most exhalted royal highness ( lol ):

Can you tell us about your JK:
  • Do you have any type of aftermarket alarm / stereo / autostart / anything where you (or someone) may have cut / spliced into wiring
  • Have you verified the issue with more than one fob + replaced batteries
  • Have you verified your battery is OK -- a dying battery does mysterious things on JK's
  • Does your Jeep exhibit any other behaviors that may be indicative that your TIPM is possessed by a 16th century witch or a dead tribal chief, such has random headlight activity or honking?
  • Finally, is your Jeep throwing any codes?

Let us know 🍺

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Aftermarket sound system, the head unit was basically plug-and-play. Kenwood, the wiring harness from the deck plugged into the existing factory connection, replaced all the factory speakers, and installed 2 amps, 4 channel alpine, mono punch.

4.5" bds suspension lift. RCV front axles, terra flex big brake kit, KC light bar., KC flex bumper lights, fog lights. Oracle halo headlights. 37x17 Cooper discovery set pro tires. Moto Metal rims.

Skid plates, not installed yet,

Checked all the fuses to make sure they were good/seated. I have disconnected everything that I installed except the radio, and it still did it, unlock/lock the doors, and headlights come on and off.

Tried to see if I could get some codes and the reader died, could have been on its last leg or the jeep killed it, bought a battery disconnect and going to install it, at least it will stay locked.

#26 ·
Since you have some aftermarket wiring, Can you double-check to see if anything is hooked up to the bolt that tightens down the battery post clamps. I know that sounds ridiculous but I've seen that so many times. Also, I would get your code reader swapped out and see if you can pull codes. When you disconnect the battery, you will clear codes, so that doesn't help.

Finally. to isolate the issue, I would work in this order:
  • Connect battery + re-create issue + attempt to pull codes
  • Determine if one or all locks are affected. That will move troubleshooting downstream
  • Check grounds. There are several in the engine compartment. Work back to the door(s) that have issues. I'm not sure where the door harness ultimately grounds, but we can figure that out.
  • Check door straps for chafing / bare wires if issue persists at specific doors.
  • TIPM. Check connections / re-seat.

Side note, I know the WCM was an issue in older JK's, I'm just not sure if your symptoms ( need more info as to what's happening) are WCM related.

#27 ·
This may be a long shot. Double check where you have everything hooked to your battery.
When I wired in my aftermarket lights I attached them to the battery. My Jeep started going crazy with dings and flashing lights on the dash. I took it to the dealership and they said they see this all the time. In correct wiring messes with the Jeeps computer. I know very little about electrical stuff and I could be way off here but thought I would share what I was told.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Hood

My Story cut and pasted from my blog post instead of a link since I get called out for sharing my personal social media stuff. :rolleyes::p😀:thefinger:

It looks like I still have a lot to learn about the electrical wiring of the aftermarket lights on my Jeep.
Last week my Jeep Wrangler's dash was lighting up and dinging. This happened several times followed by the ESC malfunction indicator light illuminating.
Checking out my newly acquired manual, it stated a malfunction in my ESC system had been detected. The ESC is the Electronic Stability Control - which senses when you begin to over- or under-steer and applies individual brakes and controls your throttle as needed to help put you back on track.
I began calling Jeep dealers in my area, but the soonest any of them could see me was August 6. This was simply unacceptable, so I called up to my friends a Adams Jeep in Aberdeen.
Those folks sure know how to treat their customers! They fit me right in, and I headed up there this morning.

Well --- the problem turns out to be my fault. I attached my LED light wires to the wrong spot on the battery when I hooked up my lights back in March.

The location where I attached the wires to eventually loosened the battery cables. As well as the hexed nut coned washer was not meant for this extra wiring. Thus creating high voltage which affected the ABS system thus the malfunction.
The folks at Adams Jeep have seen this before, and know where to put the wires so they will not come loose.
They re-attached my wires to the proper location on the battery. My LED lights are good to go, and the Rubicon is happy once again.

#28 ·
Yep, read all the comments. Yep, same model. Yep, same issue, no mods. Yep, my first post too.

In most forums, repeating same comments, issues, questions asked multiple times is frowned upon….not the case here apparently. Hmm. Seems logical to me to ask if issue was resolved regardless how long ago, no since reinventing the wheel.

However, with the new information and suggestions for troubleshooting have revived the thread sufficiently that I now know TPM may not be the issue. Try to avoid clearing codes. And finally, see about fixing my ground that is loose and dangling below the undercarriage.

I hope to resolve this issue soon and gladly report back to THIS post so that answers can be shared and hopefully assist the next desperate owner with their problem instead sending them elsewhere.

Otherwise, if you’re butt hurt by keeping the thread going, delete the f* post and move on.

#29 ·
Yep, read all the comments. Yep, same model. Yep, same issue, no mods. Yep, my first post too.

In most forums, repeating same comments, issues, questions asked multiple times is frowned upon….not the case here apparently. Hmm. Seems logical to me to ask if issue was resolved regardless how long ago, no since reinventing the wheel.

However, with the new information and suggestions for troubleshooting have revived the thread sufficiently that I now know TPM may not be the issue. Try to avoid clearing codes. And finally, see about fixing my ground that is loose and dangling below the undercarriage.

I hope to resolve this issue soon and gladly report back to THIS post so that answers can be shared and hopefully assist the next desperate owner with their problem instead sending them elsewhere.

Otherwise, if you’re butt hurt by keeping the thread going, delete the f* post and move on.
Welcome to JKO. Feel better?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.