Door locks doing their own thing - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dirtygrl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-20-2015, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Door locks doing their own thing

Hi all,
Was wondering if anyone has a solution for an issue as this...
I lock my 2008 Wrangler with my remote key lock by pushing the lock button as I walk away. Then it automatically unlocks itself and puts the head lights on. Then a few minutes later it locks again and head lights go off. I'm not touching the remote key either. As a result, over night, I'll wake up and the battery is completely dead. Assuming the Jeep is doing this all night long. Help!
nola535 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-20-2015, 06:51 PM
JKO Addict!

How old is/was the battery?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #3 of 15 Old 04-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtygrl View Post
Hi all,
I lock my 2008 Wrangler with my remote key lock by pushing the lock button as I walk away. Then it automatically unlocks itself and puts the head lights on. Then a few minutes later it locks again and head lights go off. I'm not touching the remote key either. As a result, over night, I'll wake up and the battery is completely dead. Assuming the Jeep is doing this all night long. Help!
Charge your battery and after it's charged, disconnect your battery leads and touch them together. You may or may not get a spark but it's OK. Reconnect them. Try the remote locks and wait around to see if it the locks stay locked and your headlights turn off. Sounds like your pewter needs to get slapped around a little. Post up the results.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-21-2015, 11:10 PM
Rock God

TIPM.

REPLACE IT.

DONE

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepUpKeep37s View Post
TIPM.

REPLACE IT.

DONE
Golly gee whiz you may be right.

http://www.chryslerproblems.com/prob...ive-tipm.shtml

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #6 of 15 Old 04-27-2015, 09:15 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Hi all,
Any other issues, like intermittent horn, wiper, or window activity along with this?

American, Gun owning, God fear'n, Veteran, and I'm offended that you're offended.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-27-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Charge your battery and after it's charged, disconnect your battery leads and touch them together. You may or may not get a spark but it's OK. Reconnect them. Try the remote locks and wait around to see if it the locks stay locked and your headlights turn off. Sounds like your pewter needs to get slapped around a little. Post up the results.
Yes it does honk intermittently and the battery is 2 years old. But thanks for all the input everyone, going to try this tonight, let you know how it goes!
post #8 of 15 Old 04-28-2015, 08:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
TIPM.

REPLACE IT.

DONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickmarine View Post
Any other issues, like intermittent horn, wiper, or window activity along with this?
Quote:
Yes it does honk intermittently and the battery is 2 years old. But thanks for all the input everyone, going to try this tonight, let you know how it goes!

I speak from personal experience. My jeep was possessed. Check any of the following and you will find TIPM was the cause.

Cooling fan not coming on causing engine to over heat. Turn off ignition and start again, then it works.

Cooling fan stays on when ignition is off and keys are in your hands.

Doorlocks, wipers, washer fluid and horn operate on their like the jeep is having a seizure. This can happen with jeep not running (woke me up at night) or while driving. Open your hood and hit the TIPM (black fuse box) and it stops.

Gratuitous bong from the dash for no reason very common five minutes into your drive. It's the same sound for keys left in the ignition or the sound for when the low fuel light comes on.

Can roll down front windows but can't go up. Rear windows operate fine. Turn the ignition key off and start jeep again and ithe windows are operational again.

Things that have not happened to me but apparently can happen is the airbags go off while driving. Slightly dangerous. It can happen when parked too.

Or even worse, your in accident that the airbags should go off and they don't.

The final straw for me was the fuel pump relay in he TIPM failed completely one day. It was like I ran out of gas while driving it. I used a wire to jump power from another ignition source fuse to the fuel pump fuse and it ran this way until I purchased another TIPM.

Yeah crazy EH. And no recall. Thanks CHRYSLER.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-29-2015, 03:49 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I speak from personal experience. My jeep was possessed. Check any of the following and you will find TIPM was the cause.

Cooling fan not coming on causing engine to over heat. Turn off ignition and start again, then it works.

Cooling fan stays on when ignition is off and keys are in your hands.

Doorlocks, wipers, washer fluid and horn operate on their like the jeep is having a seizure. This can happen with jeep not running (woke me up at night) or while driving. Open your hood and hit the TIPM (black fuse box) and it stops.

Gratuitous bong from the dash for no reason very common five minutes into your drive. It's the same sound for keys left in the ignition or the sound for when the low fuel light comes on.

Can roll down front windows but can't go up. Rear windows operate fine. Turn the ignition key off and start jeep again and ithe windows are operational again.

Things that have not happened to me but apparently can happen is the airbags go off while driving. Slightly dangerous. It can happen when parked too.

Or even worse, your in accident that the airbags should go off and they don't.

The final straw for me was the fuel pump relay in he TIPM failed completely one day. It was like I ran out of gas while driving it. I used a wire to jump power from another ignition source fuse to the fuel pump fuse and it ran this way until I purchased another TIPM.

Yeah crazy EH. And no recall. Thanks CHRYSLER.
AIRBAGS! Wow... I looked for the recall too. Nothing. I did the battery cable reset. Seemed to fix the problem for the night, but the next day, same crap.

American, Gun owning, God fear'n, Veteran, and I'm offended that you're offended.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-28-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickmarine View Post
AIRBAGS! Wow... I looked for the recall too. Nothing. I did the battery cable reset. Seemed to fix the problem for the night, but the next day, same crap.
Hello,

I know its been 2 years but I was wondering if you ever got the issue fixed if so... how??? The same issue just started happening to me. 2008 as well. Also about the airbags they did end up having a recall. I just got mine fixed.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-30-2017, 06:10 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan_c4jeep View Post
Hello,

I know its been 2 years but I was wondering if you ever got the issue fixed if so... how??? The same issue just started happening to me. 2008 as well. Also about the airbags they did end up having a recall. I just got mine fixed.
More than likely it was her battery. But I would look at the TIPM. That thing can cause all types of issues.

You got your airbags replaced? I have been on the waiting list forever for that.

2008 JKU, ProComps, 35 Kevlar MT/R's, Dana 44s, locked, 5.13, Artic Trusses, RCVs, all types of OR-Fab stuff, PIAA's, 2.5in Suspension lift, Adams driveshaft, Teraflex SpeedBumps, Warn Winch and some other goodies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
Old shit needs fixed. Facts.
Shit run off-road needs fixed. Fact.
Old shit run off-road needs fixed more often yet. Fact.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-18-2018, 06:51 AM

I'm having this problem as well! I also have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. It just started acting up last night: unlocking the doors/interior lights and headlights stay on for 30 seconds.

Did anyone ever get this problem resolved?

Should I just replace my battery or is it a more serious issue like the TIPM?
post #13 of 15 Old 10-20-2018, 01:13 PM

2007 Sahara jku. Windshield pump donít work and control key unlock but donít lock. Yesterday my front windows not down, but today the windows work perfect
post #14 of 15 Old 10-14-2019, 08:02 AM

2010 JKU here and was recently having similar problems with the locks randomly engaging. Had the TIPM replaced for a hefty price at the dealership. Once I got it back home, the symptoms manifest themselves. Broke down, finally bought an OBD reader and noted that the transponder from the key was continually pinging the vehicle. Took the battery out, gremlins are now gone.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-30-2019, 02:45 PM

Same issue another fix

It appears that having both key fobs near my jeep cause this. put a scrap of paper in the "spare" key fob between the battery and terminal. no more blinking, flashing, unlocking, beeping, alarms going off etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode