Advice On Air Options - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-12-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Advice On Air Options

It looks like this is the year I finally add air of some sort. The thing is I'm not sure if I should do co2 or onboard air. I'm thinking of the co2 from InstantAirSupply, but I'm concerned about the space it will take up and finding someone to fill it.

As far as onboard air options go, I just don't know much about the different setups and most importantly I don't have a clue how much I will have to spend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-12-2015, 07:49 PM
Granite Guru

I built my own using twin Viar 440C compressors and a 5gal tank. Mine is removable and I put it in the back when I go wheeling. Overall, I spent about $500 building it. If you go with a compressor, I would suggest you get one that has a 100% duty cycle. Good luck with your search.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Both have pro's and con's.

One is a finite solution, the other is infinite? Depending on how you do it, end cost might be about the same.

With CO2 the big difference is in the regulator provided with the kit. A bonus is crank up the pressure and you can run an air tool. Probably the most common size is 10lbs which takes up some space, but not a ton. As for filling up, any welding supply shop or shop that services fire extinguishers can fill it. Depending on the market, expect it to cost about $20 or so to fill.

With OBA the biggest cost will be the compressor and the cost there are all over the board depending on brand or performance level. I don't know anything about Viair as I have an ARB CKMA12. It does fine but I've run into occasional issues with it going into thermal protection mode after 8 or 9 hours on the trail. I can't say it's a flaw so much in the compressor as being mounted next to the engine over the exhaust manifold soaking up all that heat. That's part of the reason I'm considering an upgrade to the CKMTA12 that will mount under the seat in the passenger compartment.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-14-2015, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks guys I ordered my CO2 last night...here's a weird question - any issues with the legality of having co2 onboard?
post #5 of 23 Old 04-14-2015, 07:12 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

There is always the concern that on a full charge in the summer sun that you could have the safety relief let go which would dump the contents into the passenger compartment. The other is a small leak slowing displacing your air until you pass out.

It's another item to maintain, leak check it often (dish soap/water in a spray bottle), get the bottle checked periodically where you get it filled, and don't leave it in the Jeep when you don't plan on wheeling would be my recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-14-2015, 05:24 PM
Rock God

I run a nitrogen bottle and have had no problems with it , yes you have to refill it but nobody can beat Me in air up time . :-)

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #7 of 23 Old 04-14-2015, 06:10 PM
Rock God

Really like the CO2.

Reduced my fill up times by almost 30 min per run.

The only downside would be finding the right location that works for you to fill the tank.

Went with a 2nd back up tank so that I can drop off and pick up and never be pinched by their fill up schedules.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-16-2015, 04:57 PM

co2 you can get a tank filled at so many places I use a beer tap supply place about 14 bucks takes 10 minutes. you can use a static 200 psi regulator. or go to a liquor store that rents tanks use it bring it back empty get another one all you'd have to purchase is the regulator and something to carry it with.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-06-2015, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

wound up with a co2 tank from nate at instantairsupply.com and it's awesome. Should've done this years ago. only issue I'm having is finding someplace to mount it
post #10 of 23 Old 05-06-2015, 09:16 AM
Granite Guru

I had to change from CO2, which I loved, back to a compressor since I have no more space for the CO2 with the third row. I just bought 2 of the twin ARB compressors yesterday. I have one single already in the jeep for my arb's, so this should provide decent air, but still slower than CO2.

07 JKU, 14 bolt rear/ Teraflex 60 front, Tera Long Arm, King Coilovers, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock etc. 430HP LS3 engine swap. Cage and 14 bolt swap thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 23 Old 05-06-2015, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith B. View Post
I had to change from CO2, which I loved, back to a compressor since I have no more space for the CO2 with the third row. I just bought 2 of the twin ARB compressors yesterday. I have one single already in the jeep for my arb's, so this should provide decent air, but still slower than CO2.
where/how did you have your tank mounted when you had it?
post #12 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 05:46 AM
DaK
Rock God

Too late as the op already bought a system but, one thing I didn't like about the air bottle is, one more thing to check, think about, take care of before a trail trip. With on board air, it is always there! On one trip had a guy with a bottle come up to me and go, "I'm out, can I use your air?" I'd always have a back up unit, even a little 440p. Take awhile to fill up those 35's but, you will get 'em at least up to a level to be safe on the road and to a gas station.

Have an ARB twin in a case. It will soon be mounted under the hood as I am tired of it taking up space and lugging it in and out of the jeep. Yep, lazy.
post #13 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by etl330 View Post
where/how did you have your tank mounted when you had it?
Like this

07 JKU, 14 bolt rear/ Teraflex 60 front, Tera Long Arm, King Coilovers, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock etc. 430HP LS3 engine swap. Cage and 14 bolt swap thread-

post #14 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 04:16 PM
JKO Addict!

15lb tank. Now to find a spot to mount it.

One place near me will fill it for $22.
Another place wont but will rent a 15/20 lb tank for less.

Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1431036984.820860.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  70.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1431036994.451508.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  54.6 KB

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #15 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Granite Guru

The CO2 is FAST!! I have one 10 lb setup on my right roll bar and I love it. It fills tires fast and when close to empty, only takes about $15 to fill it up again. I like it so much I wanted to get a second one for my other roll bar. Kinda dumb I guess so I talked myself out of that.

2014 JKUR White+white+white
post #16 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 10:36 PM
Granite Guru

Love my 15# set up from Nathan at IAS here on the forum. GREAT customer service! Wish he sold other stuff too so I could buy more stuff from him.
Here is a pic from Moab EJS this year, fresh into town.

Mounted behind 2nd row of my 2dr. Used the mount in the kit and got some spacers and screws so it mounted even from the side.

I love how fast I can air up. I prefer the speed and mobility of the tank over a compressor even with the need for refills.

Last edited by Stangbuster; 05-07-2015 at 10:43 PM.
post #17 of 23 Old 05-07-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Awesome thanks for the ideas guys...and yes, Nate at instant air supply was awesome
post #18 of 23 Old 05-08-2015, 03:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Advice On Air Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangbuster View Post
Love my 15# set up from Nathan at IAS here on the forum. GREAT customer service! Wish he sold other stuff too so I could buy more stuff from him.
Here is a pic from Moab EJS this year, fresh into town.

Mounted behind 2nd row of my 2dr. Used the mount in the kit and got some spacers and screws so it mounted even from the side.

I love how fast I can air up. I prefer the speed and mobility of the tank over a compressor even with the need for refills.

Can you take some pics of the mounts ?
Thats where i set mine but havnt looked into mounting yet.

Edit: i see what you did never mind.
Great idea.. Simple.

Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1431078868.563683.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  50.5 KB

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers

Last edited by kjeeper10; 05-08-2015 at 03:57 AM.
post #19 of 23 Old 05-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Granite Guru

Interest as well

How many fill ups are you guys with tanks (both 10 and 15lb) getting; and what size tires are you guys filling up?
post #20 of 23 Old 05-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Granite Guru

I get quite a few with my 10 lb tank. I use 35s and air up from 10-12 psi back to maybe 22-24 during trips and I do this 3-4 times per trip. I get around 25-30 tires this way so it is quite a bit. Sometime I air down to 18-20 or long dirt roads. With a cost of $15 per fill-up and only 30 seconds or so to fill a tire, I have no need to use slower onboard air. I like the idea of a compact air setup as a backup though and may install one at some point. It just takes a lot longer to air up....a lot.

2014 JKUR White+white+white
post #21 of 23 Old 05-08-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

This chart from powertank is pretty useful. Not sure if it's the same for my instant air supply tank. But for a couple hundred dollars savings I'm ok with the uncertainty lol - I'll figure it out on my own.

https://powertank.com/charts.specs
Attached Images

post #22 of 23 Old 05-08-2015, 02:39 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
This chart from powertank is pretty useful. Not sure if it's the same for my instant air supply tank. But for a couple hundred dollars savings I'm ok with the uncertainty lol - I'll figure it out on my own.

This looks pretty helpful.

Thanks
post #23 of 23 Old 05-08-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LepreCon View Post
Quote:

This looks pretty helpful.

Thanks
No problem. Looks better on their site that the weird saved version I posted lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode