Sirius Sound Quality - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sirius Sound Quality

Does anyone else notice a difference in the sound quality of the sirius radio(2010 mygig rer) as compared to the FM radio? FM seems to have better sound in my vehicle. The difference is subtle, but definitely noticeable. Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Now that's an answer! Thanks, Rednroll. I really appreciate the info, and your explanation makes complete sense. This is my first experience with satellite radio, and I noticed the difference the first day I picked up the new Jeep. That's some very interesting research you've done. It's people like you that keep these forums so informative and helpul. You da man! Thanks again!

Cheers!
post #3 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 09:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

where is the cross eyed and dizzy smiley?

incredible answer red...

personally, i think my Sirius, played thru my plug and play external reciever sounds pretty damn good... but i mostly listen to Howard 100

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Wheeler

I have had XM since 03 and at one time was paying for 8 radios. When Sirius took over and killed XM, Fired most all the program directors, killed most of the great channels or combined them into the Sirius "FM" style of repetitive shallow playlists, I canceled 5 subs.

I have always had an XM aftermarket radio in my rides and still have factory OEM in my GMC Acadia. My wife had a P/T with factory Sirius but I never drove it much to know the difference, until we traded for the jeep.

The first thing I noticed with listening to my same favorite channel in the jeep is it sounds like shit, like coming out of a tin can. Much worse than the same channel on my XM radios.

I have spent years on the XM forums so I know the XM vs Sirius war, coke vs Pepsi, Jeep vs -------.

Bottom line is XM was way ahead with better codec, tech, radios, Sat's etc etc. But the battle of programing and trying to outdo each other with more channels took more and more bandwidth, causing more loss of bit rate per channel and sound quality. Just listen to a talk channel, talk about a tin can.
Back in the "Day", they were near CD quality.

Now that they are merged as one company, the fact remains that they are still 2 different systems. XM radios will not receive and decode the signals from a Sirius Sat's and vice versa.

There are some channels that still sound great like Deep Tracks (XM side) and a few others running higher bit rate. But i am disappointed at the sound quality of Sirius in the jeep and thinking of installing my XM Pioneer Inno even though its nicer to have sat radio integrated in the factory head unit.

Nov 12th 2008, the day XM was murdered by Sirius.

Last edited by Racefla; 03-23-2010 at 09:22 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Rock God

Mine sounds good

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Wheeler

Frequency response and stereo vs. mono is only a small part of the overall perceived quality, I think.

I think the difference between stereo and mono can make a difference in imaging, and the extra few KHz on the high end might be perceptible, but I think the JK factory sound system and speaker placement will probably mask any differences here.

The main reason satellite sounds worse than FM, and you touched on this, is the digital compression that they apply in order to fit close to 200 channels in a downlink stream of only a few Mbps.

Try compressing a (stereo) MP3 down even more than 64kbps. To my ear, the digital compression artifacts, especially in the highs (like cymbal crashes) become the main detractor to overall quality. This should sound similar to the lesser quality Sirius audio stream compared to FM, which is analog, and digital artifact free by its nature.

So even though it may be stereo, and it may technically generate frequencies in the 13KHz+ range, the compression artifacts are the most audible flaws in the reproduction.

Also, as pointed out, FM will be subject to mechanical and atmospheric analog noise, but I'm assuming a full quieting signal in both cases here.

Sorry.... maybe a small point, and generally I actually love my Sirius since with my soft top at freeway speed I'm not exactly looking for an audiophile quality experience out of the thing.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Rock God

IM happy w mine.

JKOutcast Member
post #8 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Wheeler

Sound quality aside, Sat radio still has way better selection and has nation wide coverage.

FM mostly sucks music wise anymore imho. I found a fantastic (we play what we want, not whats on the play list) independent FM channel in my area that fills the void of my lost XM channel. Problem is I'm on the fringe of recpetion. I can pick it up in the cars, at work most of the time, but not at home. If they go HD it will not reach at all.

XM12 X-Country RIP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode