CB Antenna Ground - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

CB Antenna Ground

First off I have a uinden 520x and a 4 foot firestik. I used a bare aluminim bracket that I made and I just had the CB tuned but all I hear is static, I can hear voices but I can't make out words. I wasnt sure if this was because I dont have my mount grounded or because perhaps Im not near any truckers that are talking. When I had the guy tune it he just tuned and didnt say anything so I assumed it was fine. He runs a good sized shop and seems to have a lot of business so I guess he knows what hes doing. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jhoover View Post
First off I have a uinden 520x and a 4 foot firestik. I used a bare aluminim bracket that I made and I just had the CB tuned but all I hear is static, I can hear voices but I can't make out words. I wasnt sure if this was because I dont have my mount grounded or because perhaps Im not near any truckers that are talking. When I had the guy tune it he just tuned and didnt say anything so I assumed it was fine. He runs a good sized shop and seems to have a lot of business so I guess he knows what hes doing. What do you guys think?
Radios work better when the antenna end of the coax braid has a good RF ground. An RF ground is not the same as a DC ground. When I installed my CB, I noticed that the tailgate was not grounded to DC. I have no idea the quality of the RF ground, if any. I have no way to measure that.

Whereas DC current will travel through the entire cross section of a conductor, RF energy travels on the surface of the conductor. The larger the surface, the better the conductor. Because of that, braided ground straps are better RF grounds than solid or stranded wire.

So, I went down to the local auto parts store and got a ground strap. One end is screwed to the body tub and the other end has two terminations. The first connection is screwed to the tailgate inner. This is the main RF ground. The braid goes on from there to a butt splice connector and to a piece of 10 gauge stranded wire. It is nowhere near as good as a braid but is better than nothing and I used it because it was available. That wire (red in the picture) goes through the door to the bolt that mounts the aluminum channel to the spare tire carrier.

Notice the big loop of coax in the picture below. This is to prolong the life of the coax. The loop minimizes the flexing that the coax has to repeatedly endure with the opening and closing of the tailgate.

The antenna mount is made from 1/8x2x2 aluminum angle. The shorter pieces of aluminum are there to make the main angle less flexible.The CB antenna on the left is a Wilson Flex 3. The 2 meter/70cm dual bander on the right is a Diamond SG7500A.

I don't know if a lack of a ground is hurting your reception or not. Have you tried getting a buddy to go a block down the road with his CB and try to talk to you? That's really the best test. Just talk to your friend on the radio while you or he are driving away from each other and see what kind of usable range you have.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #3 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 09:05 AM
JKO Addict!

tailgate mounts work just fine for the antenna.... I would check your CB ground.

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Rock God

Garage

here is what i used. i believe its 1 1/2 inch grounding strap.i used the teraflex cb antenna mount and then i added a standard mirror mount to that to make ground easier and i didn't have to grind any paint off my mount or anything like that.

Name:  ground3.JPG
Views: 5738
Size:  71.6 KB
here is what the grounding strap looks like
Name:  ground2.JPG
Views: 3883
Size:  87.8 KB
i ran it to the inside of the tailgate scratched some paint off and then used 3 screws to attach it to the tailgate
Name:  ground1.JPG
Views: 5571
Size:  85.2 KB
here it is on my mount. nice a clean looking tucked behind the mount so its not flapping in the wind.

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
post #5 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Granite Guru

dtcc687, I like the way you did that. Where did you get the braid?

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #6 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

put up a pic of how its grounded both to the jeep and the mount. you may have it to where its messing with the continuity of the antenna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #7 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

i got it from a local cb shop. the guy there told me it was great for grounding antennas and has worked great so far. adding the second mount to the one i already had worked out perfect because i just put the ground strap in between the two and tightened it pretty good. so far it worked out nice but i was thinking about doing what you did and running it all the way inside the jeep not just to the tailgate.

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
Crew
post #8 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 08:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

yea it works nicely. idk if grounding has anything to do with swr but i have a 1.2 with my system

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode