ABS light on, no error codes, replaced wheel speed sensors, Light still on - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-31-2015, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ
ABS light on, no error codes, replaced wheel speed sensors, Light still on

Changed out my stock rear axle shafts on my 2012 JKU for chromoly ones. Straight forward install. That is the only thing I did.

Go to start it, I get the ABS and ESP light. Use a diagnostic code reader into the OPD port, and there are no codes. I "clear" the codes even though there aren't any) I also do the "turn ignition key 3 times" to see if the dash board code reader would tell me something different and also get no error codes. Thinking perhaps one of the rear wheel speed sensor's had gone bad just by removing it during the axle install, I replaced both rear wheel speed sensors. Still have the ABS & ESP lights on, and again I check with a diagnostic tool and the dashboard tell me still no error codes.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-31-2015, 11:25 AM
Rock God

Do the tone rings on the new axle shafts line up properly with the sensors?

Most generic OBD II (generic meaning they will read "generic" OBDII standard codes, not referring to the brand) scan tools will not read ABS, SRS or manufacturer specific codes. It's likely that the codes are there, but you can't see or clear them with your tool. A battery disconnect should clear the codes, but if there is still an issue present the code/lights will likely just come right back.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-31-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
Do the tone rings on the new axle shafts line up properly with the sensors?

Most generic OBD II (generic meaning they will read "generic" OBDII standard codes, not referring to the brand) scan tools will not read ABS, SRS or manufacturer specific codes. It's likely that the codes are there, but you can't see or clear them with your tool. A battery disconnect should clear the codes, but if there is still an issue present the code/lights will likely just come right back.
Good to know about the OBD II scanners. Was not aware there were manufacture-specific differences.
Regarding the tone rings - the rings on the Ten Factory shafts are identical to stock and do line up.
I failed to mention I did the battery disconnect prior to replacing the sensors, so it might be worth trying that again. Thanks. I'll post up if that has any affect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-31-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Did the battery disconnect. No change.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-01-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Unless anyone else has any ideas, I'm going to schedule an appt at the stealership (there are a couple recalls that they can take care of while it's there) to have them figure it out.
post #6 of 22 Old 04-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Rock God

Sorry, man, wish I had more for you.

Are the wires going to the sensors good, didn't get damaged or stretched during the axle swap?

Hope you get it worked out. Let us know what the dealer says.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Rock God

I use torque pro and a bluetooth scanner and I can pull up abs codes.

my hypertech programmer does as well.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-06-2015, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Update:
The limo spent the day at the dealership. Two technicians investigated and concluded it was the tone rings causing the issue. They said they have seen this frequently with aftermarket axle shafts. (they didn't say Ten Factory specifically, but claimed if they were to re-install stock shafts, the dashboard warning lights would go out)

I called Northridge4x4 and said they had never heard of this with the the Factory Ten. He thought they used Mopar tone rings, so was surprised to hear there was an issue. He was going to contact Ten Factory.

I'll update again once we get a response from Ten Factory/Northridge4x4
post #9 of 22 Old 06-25-2015, 04:27 PM

I am having the same problem with my passenger side Ten Factory axle shaft. Pulled it out and put the stock one back in ABS works again. Waiting on a response from Ten Factory/Northridge4x4
post #10 of 22 Old 06-25-2015, 05:12 PM
JKO Addict!

It is not likely the axle. The tone ring is part of the hum inside the unit bearing. it is really not clear how the issue attributed to the axle since it passes through the center of the hub.

The most likely cause is the wheel sensor since that needs to be "touched" when installing/removing axles. Maybe it wasn't in there all the way or maybe it was dirty and then got cleaned or repositioned as a result o the swap?

No issues with the ten factory axles, abs or dsc on mine.

On the topic of scanners...
Not all scanners and cars are the same. You will need a scanner that is capable of reading the modules beyond just the engine and trans (which most are limited to). Look for one that specifically claims support for "ABS, DSC and SRS" and even then, make sure that your cars are supported by that scanner.

Here is one on amazon, for example:
http://www.amazon.com/Launch-Tech-30...dp/B00BGH0EAC/

edit: FWIW, if you do have a scanner that DOES read ABS/DSC/SRS codes and you still can't pull a code then it may be the module. The modules go bad with bad solder joints. This happens on several makes of car.
post #11 of 22 Old 06-26-2015, 01:59 PM

My Ten Factory came with bearings and tone rings pressed on. I replaced the sensor and no fix. The only thing that fixed it was putting the stock on back in. I have no issues with the one on the driver's side. So that leaves me with a possible issue with the new tone ring that came on the Ten Factory axle.
post #12 of 22 Old 06-26-2015, 02:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnswhenip View Post
My Ten Factory came with bearings and tone rings pressed on. I replaced the sensor and no fix. The only thing that fixed it was putting the stock on back in. I have no issues with the one on the driver's side. So that leaves me with a possible issue with the new tone ring that came on the Ten Factory axle.
CRAP. I re-read the OP. Oh, rear shafts. Now I see the potential for ABS issues. I have new ten factory shafts sitting on the garage floor right now waiting to go in. I ordered them from Northridge as well, all pressed together. So we'll see what happens over here very shortly. Northridge said that they used all mopar parts on mine.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-26-2015, 02:41 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

probably not it as I assume you drove it to the dealership with the ABS light on?

BUT, if you didn't. Did you happen to start the vehicle while the ABS sensors were unplugged? I did this. Thought I was going to have to have the dealership take a look at it. When I drove the rig for about 10 minutes, the light went out and hasn't been on since.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-06-2015, 07:40 PM
JKO Addict!

just wanted to add my experience from today here...4

my rig has been up on jack stands for a week or so getting rear axles installed among other parts.

while I never ran the jeep while the rear wheel sensors were unplugged, I did turn the key to on to muck with the diablosport software tune while stuff was disconnected.

finally got around to pulling the rig off of jackstands today and went for a drive. The DSC and ABS lights came on immediately (just like in my bimmer) but went away as soon as I drove a mile or so.
post #15 of 22 Old 07-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Rock God

Did you replace the bearing races? If so, did you ensure they were seated properly? If you did not replace the bearing races, I would do so. The races wear.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-06-2015, 08:40 PM
JKO Addict!

The race should be included with a new bearing. In my case, everything is new. I ordered it all,pressed together from north ridge.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-19-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

An update from my original post:

Back in March, I replaced the rear axle shafts with Ten Factory Chromoly shafts after twisting the splines and bending the flange on the stock shafts. However, as soon as I swapped them out, the ABS and ESC lights came on. Puzzled, I picked up a new set of speed sensors from Mopar. No change, ABS and ESC lights still on. Tried using an OBD II diagnostic tool to erase any error codes. No errors, no change. Then took it to the dealership to see if their diagnostic equipment could point to something else. They came back with "it's the aftermarket axles that are causing the problem" (in spite the fact that Ten Factory uses Mopar tone-rings. At a loss, I contact Northridge4x4 (where I bought the axles) and talk to them about the problem. While they had never had an issue with Ten Factory axles - they sent our a replacement set at no cost. I explained to them I was in the process of moving, and it might be a few months before I'd have a place and tools to swap them out. They said "no problem".

Fast forward to "what have you done to your Jeep today" - and I finally got the chance to change them out. I took a close look at the tone rings, they looked fine. Even counted the teeth, and there were 52 on both the ones I pulled out and the replacements. Re-checked the sensors, and they looked to be within about 1/16th of an inch from the teeth. More dielectric grease on the plug ins, checked the condition of the wires leading to the sensors. Nothing seemed to be amiss.

At any rate, I didn't get a block away before the ABS and ESC lights went out. I'm still puzzled as to why, but happy the ABS and ESC are back in operation and the dash idiot lights are out. I can't speak more highly about Northridge4x4 - granted, I've spent bunch with them, but they still didn't have to do what they did. Kudos to Brian at Northridge4x4.
post #18 of 22 Old 08-19-2015, 09:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Did you ever line up the new and old shafts to see if the tone rings were in the same place? I know the rear is sensitive enough that if you don't get those pressed fully on and can be a little off can cause the lights to trigger.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #19 of 22 Old 08-20-2015, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
Did you ever line up the new and old shafts to see if the tone rings were in the same place? I know the rear is sensitive enough that if you don't get those pressed fully on and can be a little off can cause the lights to trigger.
Hadn't thought of that. Hard to determine if they are in the same place relative to the splines/studs, but it is as good of an explanation as any!

post #20 of 22 Old 08-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Granite Guru

There is a tiny little red clip that holds the front brake harness thingy together. It sits behind the inner fender liners. If one of those falls out, your ABS light may come on. They are a pain to put back in too. One of mine is not in now but have not had a problem yet. My Jeep tech buddy says that if the light does come on, we can deal with it then. He tried and tried and just could not get the left one in. We had to take the out to do the big brake kit.

2014 JKUR White+white+white
post #21 of 22 Old 08-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Rock God

Garage

Sounds like you fixed your problem... But... I had a similar situation with my dash lights...

See #2

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281122

Tammy
post #22 of 22 Old 08-20-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Those electrical gremlins can drive you crazy! Good info for future reference!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode