Post up your experience with handheld CBs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-17-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Post up your experience with handheld CBs

I will probably only get out wheeling once a month and need a CB to ride with a club. I'd like to just use a handheld instead of installing a CB.

Tell me if a good handheld will work good enough. Any brand that is better than another?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-17-2010, 04:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

We used a uniden, model unknown, like 99 bucks, for a while before getting a cb. It worked pretty good, we could hear everyone fine but sometimes we weren't heard as well but it got the job done until the cb!

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #3 of 7 Old 03-17-2010, 04:12 PM
JKO Addict!

the midland one i have is pretty weak. i hook it up to a small magnetic antenna and it helps. But is still weak. Works for very close quarters, but not much for distance at all. I have it for anyone that doesn't have a radio, i feel its better than nothing. At least you can hear others. I have a 'real' CB setup in my rig.

If you plan on 'using it', i found my time even with a low-end cb (cobra 19) and cheap antenna to be not enough

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-17-2010, 04:48 PM
JKO Addict!

I have a Midland handheld in my jeep as more of a backup or to give to others who don't have one. However, I wouldn't trade my real CB for one. I'm running a Cobra 75 which doesn't take up much room at all and gives me much great range, more options, and I have an external speaker hooked up that allows me to hear the thing even while going down the road with the top down.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #5 of 7 Old 03-17-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks like I found out what I needed to know. I'll be ordering up a Cobra 75 and a Firestik 3'. Thanks guys.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #6 of 7 Old 03-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Wheeler

HANDHELD CB WOES

I borrowed one from a friend (can't remember the model); as i was thinking to go portable; but every time I keyed it in the cab the dash lights would go crazy. The RF it put out definitely effected the electronic system in the Jeep! I decided on the Cobra 75 and a 4' Firestik mounted to my rear bumper. The antenna barely rose above the hardtop and worked good; except it was highly directional for distance reception. I got a spring and quick disconnect; and now the tip is a good 10" above the top and more omnidirectional. Very happy with the reception and xmit; and... not having to mount the CB somewhere in the cab. Don't forget to get the "stud mount" and the "coax antenna cable" (properly paired for your app). The spring helps protect the antenna from overhead obstacles; and the quick disconnect protects against theft. If I'm going to spend 1 minute to hook up the Cobra 75; i can spend 2 seconds to connect the antenna. Long term vibration may effect the quick-conn. I'll post up if it causes any intermittent xmit/recv issues down the line.

6" FTLA w/HD TB & SS,
JKS spg rets., rr spg mnts.
37" BFG KM2, 17x9 MT clssc II, Blstn 5100,
Finishline West RB, LoD FB, SB XRC10
PP mod'fd boat sldrs, ARB rr DC's, TERA 44 frt xl hsg,
Sup'r CrMo xls, 5.13 R&P, Reel 1310 DS,
Kilby Evap, Bnchmrk KISS, B&M Trans culr,
sPOD; Aeroforce, FlashPac, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow relo,
Cobra 75, 4' Firestik, Woods Hood & TG holds
post #7 of 7 Old 03-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Wheeler

check out the Midland 75-822. it's the best of both worlds. i picked it up so i would have something until i'm able to hook up a real antenna. works pretty good

2017 4 Door Rubicon
Midland 75-822 with 3' Firestik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode