Door lock actuator in tuffy center console - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-18-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Door lock actuator in tuffy center console

Hello all,

I'm now on my 3rd wrangler, and my 1st Jk. On every wrangler I own, I've always installed a tuffy center console lockbox. Love the tuffy, it's always kept my valuable secure, but as someone with severe ADD, I always remember to unlock it after I've begun driving down the road, and my key is in the ignition. (Either that or I forget to lock it when I leave the vehicle.)

Last weekend I got tired of this. I found a new door lock actuator on Amazon for $5. Bought it and mounted it under the lid of my lockbox. Drilled a hole in the locking arm, and had the actuator installed in literally 4 minutes.

I then wired it to a momentary switch on my dash. Voila, problem solved. Now I just leave the box locked all the time. When I need access, I press the switch and it pops open like a trunk release. The dash switch BTW, is wired into the ignition circuit so it won't actuate when the key isn't on.

My original plan was to use a DPDT switch, so I could lock and unlock the lid by reversing polarity on the actuator. While the unlock works flawlessly, as long as the return spring is installed in the tuffy lock mechanism, there isn't any practical purpose to using the lock side. I tried removing the spring, and played around with it, but I found that it just worked better to leave it in. For those who wish to do this, a SPST momentary switch is just fine.

So far I've been using this for a month with no issues. Ironically I emailed Tuffy asking if they made something like this. I would have paid $80 for a Tuffy solenoid lock. They responded they didn't want to do this, as they were concerned about quality control and cost.

Total cost was $28. Switch and cover from OTRATTW, actuator from Amazon, wire from my garage.

Anyway just thought I'd share for those who want to try this out.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-18-2015, 04:02 PM
Random Dude

That's new to me, and I really like this!

One question (well, kinda' two): The push button still functions normally?
1)Can still swivel in to "unlocked" position to open the lid manually?
and
2)Doesn't push on the actuator and open the lid when "locked"?
Thanks for sharing! I might just have to do this to my Jeep and my wife's FJ.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 6 Old 03-18-2015, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Yes the stock lock still works fine. If you have it rotated to unlock, and press the button, it simply moves the actuator. It's for a standard door lock, so it's made to be moved.

I actually find that when I need to get in the locked box and the vehicle is off, I just use the ignition key, hit the switch and release the top. I have a manual trans, so the parking brake is always on when parked. When the parking brake is up, the lever blocks the key slot for the tuffy.

The only reason I still even have the key on the keychain is because I have other tuffy products on the jeep that are keyed the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-18-2015, 04:52 PM
Random Dude

Nice! Thanks for bringing a hot-rodding trick into Tuffyland.

I'm with you on the same-key bus: glove box, center console, and 2 gun drawers all on the same key.

-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-18-2015, 10:52 PM
Rock God

cool idea.

I have the same issue, needing to unlock the Tuffy after I started driving. But I went with a low-tech solution, and just got one of these, ignition key on one side, other keys on the other. Easy to remove/reattach when driving.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #6 of 6 Old 12-09-2019, 07:53 PM
Random Dude

Bump for awareness of custom tech tip that kicks ass

. . . from a little over 2.5 million minutes ago

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode