Colder ac mod, anyone done this??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 03-16-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607
Colder ac mod, anyone done this???

Originaly posted by jeeparoo on the other forum,

the thermistor is located right in the evaporator plenum.. if you look up under the dash o nthe driver side.. right behind the center stack in the A/C plenum you will see a circular device sticking out with a wire coming from it and going up into the dash.. the thermstor snaps into the side of the plenum down low.. trouble is they use "use once" clips that are destroyed easily if you just try and pull it out... GENIUS from chrysler.. NOT!

the wire goes up to a connector fairly far up attached to the metal dash frame.. I used a door panel clip separator tool and popped the connector clip loose from the frame.. there was plenty of wire slack to pull it down.. I then backprobed the resistor into the connector.. across its 2 pins.. and electrical taped it so it doesnt short to anything...

you will want to put the resistor in.. make sure it gives good contact and DRIVE the jeep for at least 30 minutes or so.. dont just test it in the driveway.. you need some RPM's and also air across the condenser to make sure you arent getting it too cold... in my case i used a variable resistor until I got it just right then read the value of the pot and put the resistor in permanently and clipped the connector back to the frame and ive got nice cold A/C... in fact almost as cold as my 86 Monte Carlo HotRod.. (it pushes 36-38 degree air and doesnt freeze... I love GM's evaporator design....)

I would like to do this mod and do a better write up on it for our site but wanted to see if anyone has done anything like this yet? Let me know my 3/36 just went out so now it's time to play with some stuff an I'll be the sacrificial lamb, let me know if any of you see any cons. I'm great with electronic stuff bit not ac, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-16-2010, 03:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sounds interesting, get yours squared away and then come do mine!
post #3 of 29 Old 03-16-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I figured I would get a ton of responses lime this but it gets freaking hot and humid as hell here and since I have a 13 month old topless and doorless is not a option for a while longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 03-16-2010, 06:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
dont need a/c if your topless
ya do in summer in Texas!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #5 of 29 Old 03-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Rock God

Problem is in high humidity it WILL freeze up.
Besides mine get extremely cold without any mod and I live in the desert.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #6 of 29 Old 03-16-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yes but if there is a way to get it a few degrees colder would help alot and still should be above freezing.
post #7 of 29 Old 03-16-2010, 10:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Did it to mine shortly after I bought it last year. It does help, it's noticeable. Lets the compressor run a bit longer before kicking off. Only once did I freeze my evaporator up though, it was the "perfect storm" to do it though. 75* or so, driving city streets, low fan speed, recirc on, a/c on max cold, it froze right up. No blower operation, let it warm up for a few mins and never had the issue again.

I will likely see what I can do at some point with my superchips this summer. I REALLY would like to have the electric fan kick on HIGH at low speeds with the a/c running. That can dramatically bring down vent temps as well, especially around town....

We're talkin 110* in the shade, 0% humidity days here...

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 29 Old 03-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

i rhink ive used my air once maybe? stuck in traffic when iot was 100 degrees out.

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
Crew
post #9 of 29 Old 03-19-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Hey just to make sure that I'm looking at the right wires it is the gray wrapped wires going up on the left hand side correct? Also where did you get the correct resistors? The ones that I got from radioshack I will have to chain them together to get the correct values needed, it would be nice if there were correct value ones already made. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Did it to mine shortly after I bought it last year. It does help, it's noticeable. Lets the compressor run a bit longer before kicking off. Only once did I freeze my evaporator up though, it was the "perfect storm" to do it though. 75* or so, driving city streets, low fan speed, recirc on, a/c on max cold, it froze right up. No blower operation, let it warm up for a few mins and never had the issue again.

I will likely see what I can do at some point with my superchips this summer. I REALLY would like to have the electric fan kick on HIGH at low speeds with the a/c running. That can dramatically bring down vent temps as well, especially around town....

We're talkin 110* in the shade, 0% humidity days here...

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #10 of 29 Old 04-12-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Bump it is getting warmer. Anyone? Cuda where you at?

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #11 of 29 Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Granite Guru

I knew there was a thread on this mod. I'm having a hard time understanding what are the steps for this mod, do I just need to splice the grey wire and run this (http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...vIU4HcTQ%3d%3d) in between? Any potential risk in running this mod other than potential freeze up?

Thanks in advance.
post #12 of 29 Old 07-07-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I've run it over a year and it works great! Big difference!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift

post #13 of 29 Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Granite Guru

I can't find a detailed write-up so I guess it's fairly simple. Is that part number correct?
post #14 of 29 Old 07-08-2011, 06:10 AM
dsy
Granite Guru

I just did this yesterday seems to work pretty good. Lowered the temp about 10 degrees at the vent in the center stack. Instead of trying to fight getting access to the sensor wires under the dash, I jumpered across the sensor wire and the sensor return wire where they plug into the back of the instrument cluster. Pop out the instrument cluster and the connectors are right there. Much easier than trying to work under the dash. I went with the 22K ohm 1/4 watt resistor from Rat Shack. I think there were 6 in the pack for about a buck. Going to dbl check the adjustment of the cable that operates the blend door today to make sure the system is putting out the coldest air possible.
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKJK View Post
I knew there was a thread on this mod. I'm having a hard time understanding what are the steps for this mod, do I just need to splice the grey wire and run this (http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...vIU4HcTQ%3d%3d) in between? Any potential risk in running this mod other than potential freeze up?

Thanks in advance.
This is where I found the info: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34997

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build

Last edited by dsy; 07-27-2011 at 08:20 AM.
post #15 of 29 Old 07-08-2011, 06:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I may need to look into this myself. Seems like I get plenty of cool air, but my kiddo in the back seat seems to still be fairly warm. I'm thinking colder air up front would eventually circulate itself to the rear, helping to cool him off a little better. Not that he's really old enough to complain or anything.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #16 of 29 Old 07-08-2011, 07:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
I may need to look into this myself. Seems like I get plenty of cool air, but my kiddo in the back seat seems to still be fairly warm. I'm thinking colder air up front would eventually circulate itself to the rear, helping to cool him off a little better. Not that he's really old enough to complain or anything.
I've had the resistor mod in mine for over a year. No freeze up issues. I can pull mine and see what I ended up with. I tried various resistor values and ended up with whatever is in there. I probably have extras as well. Lmk

Air is absolutely much cooler. Compressor will cycle longer which may hog down a little mpg, but my air gets pretty damn cool.

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #17 of 29 Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I've had the resistor mod in mine for over a year. No freeze up issues. I can pull mine and see what I ended up with. I tried various resistor values and ended up with whatever is in there. I probably have extras as well. Lmk

Air is absolutely much cooler. Compressor will cycle longer which may hog down a little mpg, but my air gets pretty damn cool.

Sent via paper airplane
Would love to see what you did. I will go ahead an order that part.
post #18 of 29 Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Sent via paper airplane
Once I actually get my Jeep back I'll check into it more. First things first......lift and tires! Lift should be here Tuesday afternoon via Mr. Brown.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #19 of 29 Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 PM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Would love to see what you did. I will go ahead an order that part.
You can pay $35. for that pot or you can stop at rat shack and spend $.35 for a 22k ohm resistor both going to do the same thing

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
post #20 of 29 Old 07-08-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yeah the resistor was like 15 cents.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift

post #21 of 29 Old 07-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Yeah the resistor was like 15 cents.
Rat shack it is - http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062348 is this it?
post #22 of 29 Old 07-08-2011, 06:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Rob, hurry up and do the write up on this one

Or goody, get some pics and write it up!

I need to do mine asap too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #23 of 29 Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Pm me your phone number and I'll take some iPhone pics in the am and call and walk you through it before I mow tomorrow. And I forgot I went to a electronic parts nerd type place that has all the crazy electronic stuff you can think of.

I'll try and get some photos but the uploading and posting thing is not in my speed department. I know how it's just sitting in front of the pc to do it.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift

post #24 of 29 Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Pm me your phone number and I'll take some iPhone pics in the am and call and walk you through it before I mow tomorrow. And I forgot I went to a electronic parts nerd type place that has all the crazy electronic stuff you can think of.

I'll try and get some photos but the uploading and posting thing is not in my speed department. I know how it's just sitting in front of the pc to do it.
So venom calls Rob then venom posts a write-up I would love a walk-through but I want to have the part on hand.

Cuda has been an awesome fellow Jeeper and helped me out a bunch, and he won't accept anything as token of appreciation. So I try not ask him
post #25 of 29 Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 AM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
yep

DIY Hemi build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode