JKOwners Forum banner

Door Chime with Key OUT of the Ignition

74K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  myrdstr 
#1 ·
I've searched around and can't find any help to my little problem. I've started getting a door chime every time the driver door is open and the key out of the ignition. I've got power windows and locks and the lock won't work but windows are good. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Can't help. I've been having the same exact problem for months. It's like the Jeep thinks the key is still in the ignition. Sometimes it will revert back to normal for a few days, then back to acting retarded. When I pull up somewhere, I have to stop, turn the key off, open the door so all the locks unlock, shut the door, hit the door lock button on the door(relocking all the doors), then when I reopen the door all the other door locks stay locked. At that point I can manually lock the drivers door and get out. When I return, sometimes the key fob works to unlock the doors and sometimes not. There's no rhyme or reason to it.
I'm just lucky I live where I rarely have to bother with locking my Jeep. I'm just waiting for it to start deciding on it's own when it wants to start.

Hope you get an answer. Your not alone though.

Kevin

#3 ·
These issues have been reported in the past , in respect to those that have experienced it , I have not personally had this issue .
That said from what I understand the key has a sensitivity to static electrical charges due to low humidity in cold weather conditions .
Try your other key and see if the problem persists , But report back to this thread with your experience . Maybe someone with real world experience will chime in. good luck.

#30 ·
These issues have been reported in the past , in respect to those that have experienced it , I have not personally had this issue .
That said from what I understand the key has a sensitivity to static electrical charges due to low humidity in cold weather conditions .
Try your other key and see if the problem persists , But report back to this thread with your experience . Maybe someone with real world experience will chime in. good luck.
Do you have a remote start if so disconnect it then try
Do you have a remote start if so disconnect it then try

#12 · (Edited)
The switch inside the key cylinder may be gummed up and not moving freely. A friend had an older Grand and the cylinder was tough to move, and it kept dinging like your stating. I removed the cylinder and soaked it in WD 40, then kept working it till gunk came out. Mildly re greased some of the moving pieces and re installed. Fixed both of the issues..

Not sure if the cylinder comes out, but worth a quick look. His had a release tab under it, had to remove the bottom plastic around the column to view said release. Turn the key slightly on, push the release(you'll feel it move as you turn), then pull out.. The key will bring the cylinder out with it.

Side note, the switch itself is not in the cylinder, just the push pin which hits the micro switch inside the electrical portion. This will help free that if it's indeed the case, but it may be worth shooting a small squirt into the hole where you see the cylinder attachment point. It will all makes sense once you get it apart.

Good luck and let us know if it works...:suicide:

#33 ·
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You !!! After battling with an intermittent start problem I replaced my ignition switch. The beeping started. I had noticed my radio light up but no sound. My aftermarket remote start wouldn't work and after driving it in the snow to work and letting it idle The coolant got hot. Realizing the fans weren't running I immediately shut it off to cool. It was showing 3/4 on the gauge but the warning beeped thankfully. It drove home in 10 degree F weather just fine. After trying to get the switches off the steering column to no avail and getting aggravated I decided to do it me way... NOT recommended for a correct fix as you guys will cringe but I sprayed WD-40 in it and worked the key in and out and off and on and kept spraying and cleaning off the key until it quit coming out nasty with gunk. The grooves of the key were filling up almost every cycle. I made sure to press the key in completely each time to clean it all out. after a while it started becoming cleaner and I tried all of the functions. To my amazement everything works as it should !! Thank You as I was about to undertake removing an alarm I thought was faulty. Now I can get into a warm, functional jeep on those cold mornings again !!!

#17 ·
Any updates anyone? Solutions? I'm sure you guys are going to be hanging your doors again soon! Just picked up an 07 Sahara yesterday and I'm experiencing the same "door chime with driver door open without the key in or lights on and the keyless entry won't lock/unlock" symptoms...

#18 ·
Door chime with key out of ignition

I've been spinning my wheels trying to figure this out, I think it's the WCM (wireless control module). Which is the security antitheft device for the JK, which is match to the keys for your vehicle . There's been several issues with the older JK's having no start issues because of it having a static discharge. I wonder if there was a type of discharge that tricks the sensor into thinking that the key was still in the ignition.
I have taken the entire assembly apart. Looking for a ground wire like you would see in the older ignition cylinder, but now it dawned on me that the wireless control module acts as the ground for the key in ignition chime.
Like the start issues with the other JK's mine occurred on a cold dry day, perfect for static charge

#19 ·
I've been spinning my wheels trying to figure this out, I think it's the WCM (wireless control module). Which is the security antitheft device for the JK, which is match to the keys for your vehicle . There's been several issues with the older JK's having no start issues because of it having a static discharge. I wonder if there was a type of discharge that tricks the sensor into thinking that the key was still in the ignition.
I have taken the entire assembly apart. Looking for a ground wire like you would see in the older ignition cylinder, but now it dawned on me that the wireless control module acts as the ground for the key in ignition chime.
Like the start issues with the other JK's mine occurred on a cold dry day, perfect for static charge
I don't get too many dry days here, but I'll say that it only does it about half the time now. I call that a win.

Welcom to JKO

#28 ·
we believe you! Our stereo was acting up along with this key problem. Just took the stereo out and are going to drive a few times today to make sure the problem seems fixed before replacing the stereo! We’ve tried twice so far and no key problem, but could be just random chance. Thank you!

#21 ·
Haven't experienced this yet on my JK, but my 2006 Dodge Diesel does it quite frequently. Try this little test to determine if it is "sunspots" or a switch malfunction. When you take the key out and the door chime sounds, put the key back in the ignition and lightly bump it a but further in a couple of times. As was noted above there is a little switch deep in the cylinder that gets gunked up and does not always release when the key is removed. Sometimes it takes several "adjustment taps" before the chime will silence. I found a lock cylinder lubricant with a very slender tube (Like WD-40 only smaller) that I can work the lube deep into the switch. You can feel, and depress the switch, when you insert the slender lube tube. For me it lasts for a few months tat then I have to repeat.

#22 ·
Jeep Driver's Open Door Chime Fix.

I just replaced a broken ignition switch in my Jeep Liberty. After getting it back together the driver’s door chime would come on whenever the door was opened even without the key in the ignition. I did not replace the outer key tumbler but just the inner pin section along with the electrical switch connected to it.

I didn’t have the door chime problem before so didn’t think the key tumbler was a problem. After taking the tumbler out again I checked the end pin on the new part and it was working freely.

I took the tumbler and sprayed electoral cleaner through the key slot and other end then blowing it out with the air hose. I did this twice until it was clean. My hand was black with the crud that came out of it. When I slid the key back into it I could even feel more friction on the key. I slid the tumbler back together and the problem was gone. With door open it only chimed when I put the key back in the ignition.
I would say don’t spray WD40 or oil in the tumbler but use a dry cleaner that won’t gum up

#23 ·
I'm having the same issue. 2013 sport with manual windows and manual locks. I disconnected all the ground wires on the kick panels and tranny tunnel to paint my tub with bedliner. Put everything back and the door chime goes off with the door open and no key in the ignition. The security light was flashing all the time too, even when running
I disconnected the battery and cleaned all the grounds again. Now security light is off but the door still chimes like the keys are in the ignition. Only the driver's door. If I disconnected the door plug it stops...

#24 ·
I had this after the stealer did some warranty/recall work on the clockspring.

Turned out their hamfisted gorilla ****** up the steering column shroud & it was touching the key surround. This stopped it from popping back out when the key was removed. I just removed the plastic & drove without it until they got the replacements in. Then fitted them properly, myself.

Basically the silver disc with the slot is a press switch. When it is pressed in by the key, the chime will sound if the door is open with the engine off. If it is stuck in, the chime will sound. Key in or out.

#25 ·
there are two resistors inside the ignition switch.
R(key-out) >> R(key-in)
but, will try to fix nonetheless )

below the txt from FSM for JK 2007>

KEY-IN IGNITION SWITCH
DESCRIPTION
The key-in ignition switch is integral to the ignition switch, which is mounted on the left side of
the steering column, opposite the ignition cylinder. It closes a path to ground for the instrument
cluster chime warning circuitry when the ignition key is inserted in the ignition cylinder and the
driver door jamb switch is closed (driver door is open). The key-in ignition switch opens the
ground path when the key is removed from the ignition cylinder.

The key-in ignition switch cannot be repaired and, if faulty or damaged, the entire ignition switch
must be replaced. (Refer to 19 - STEERING/COLUMN/IGNITION SWITCH - REMOVAL).

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - KEY-IN IGNITION SWITCH
19 - STEERING

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the steering column shrouds. Unplug
the key-in ignition switch wire harness connector from the ignition switch.
2. Check for continuity between the key-in switch sense circuit and the left front door jamb switch
sense circuit terminals of the key-in ignition switch. There should be continuity with the key in
the ignition cylinder, and no continuity with the key removed from the ignition cylinder. If OK, go
to STEP 3. If not OK, replace the faulty ignition switch assembly.
3. Check for continuity between the left front door jamb switch sense circuit cavity of the key-in
ignition switch wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be continuity with the
driver door open, and no continuity with the driver door closed. If OK, see the diagnosis for
Instrument Cluster in this group. If not OK,
repair the circuit to the driver door jamb switch as required.

#26 ·
Hi I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler. Had the beeping problem with door open. After I replaced the Ignition Switch, Ignition Switch Actuator Pin and key Ignition Starter Switch.
It’s a mechanical problem not electrical. It has to do with the alinement of the Ignition Switch to Ignition Switch Actuator Pin. If it is not set in the correct place it will beep with door open key out. It’s such a small amount it’s crazy. First try this to see if it will stop. Take the covers off the steering wheel. Use your fingers and get in behind the Ignition Switch. Pull it just a small amount not to hard see if the beeping stops. Still holding it in place put in the Key. The beeping should start up. Pull the key out it should stop. If you release it you my get the beeping back door open no key or if you push it a bit. This is just a check. I had to mess around with this for about an hour to set it in the correct place. I had some rubber grommets thick enough to go behind the Ignition switch and steering column to put just enough outward pressure on the switch to hold it out the right amount for the beeping to stop. I placed one at the front part of the switch to hold it down. There is enough pressure on the rubber to hold it on place. Hence the messing around it’s a very small amount that it’s out. Try this see if it works for you I have had no problems since everything work now. Hope this will fix your problem.

#27 ·
Hi I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler. Had the beeping problem with door open. After I replaced the Ignition Switch, Ignition Switch Actuator Pin and key Ignition Starter Switch.
It’s a mechanical problem not electrical. It has to do with the alinement of the Ignition Switch to Ignition Switch Actuator Pin. If it is not set in the correct place it will beep with door open key out. It’s such a small amount it’s crazy. First try this to see if it will stop. Take the covers off the steering wheel. Use your fingers and get in behind the Ignition Switch. Pull it just a small amount not to hard see if the beeping stops. Still holding it in place put in the Key. The beeping should start up. Pull the key out it should stop. If you release it you my get the beeping back door open no key or if you push it a bit. This is just a check. I had to mess around with this for about an hour to set it in the correct place. I had some rubber grommets thick enough to go behind the Ignition switch and steering column to put just enough outward pressure on the switch to hold it out the right amount for the beeping to stop. I placed one at the front part of the switch to hold it down. There is enough pressure on the rubber to hold it on place. Hence the messing around it’s a very small amount that it’s out. Try this see if it works for you I have had no problems since everything work now. Hope this will fix your problem.

#29 ·
Just started this week, with key out the door chime goes off and the key in ignition light comes on when the door is open. Remote doesn't work for locking or unlocking vehicle.
Mine is doing this. It started with the key chiming with the door open and no key in. Now my key won’t lock/unlock doors. Did you find anything that fixed this problem?

#32 ·
2007 Wrangler Sierra Unlimited. I’ve got the same dreaded door chime going on but only when using the parking brake. No lights on and key out of the ignition. I’ve replaced the ignition switch and still have the chime. When the parking brake is set I can’t use the key fob for locks. When the parking brake is off the key fobs work. I’ve tried both sets of keys and unhooked the battery over night and it still chimes. It’s a standard transmission and has remote start so I have to be able to use the parking brake. I live in Upper Michigan so remote start is wonderful in the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.