Jeep wont start. Here's the "KEY" - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-10-2015, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Jeep wont start. Here's the "KEY"

My 2013 Jeep Wrangler with 14,000 miles failed to start yesterday. This is an interesting problem that I've never encountered before. Here's what happened:

I turned the key and there seemed to be a slight hesitation, but the car started and ran for about 4 seconds and then shut off. I did this three more times with the same results. On the fourth try, the engine wouldn't turn over at all. The one light that was on the dash required a look-up in my manual. This turned out to be the "Security" light. It also reminded me of a few years ago when another car I had did the exact same thing, but for a legitimate reason: I had the wrong key in the ignition. It had no electronic chip, and so the car would start, then run a few seconds and die. When I got the correct key, it started and ran fine. So just for the heck of it, I got my spare Jeep key off the wall and tried it. Same thing. Nothing.

I had my Jeep towed to the dealership and the Tech there said he'd come across this issue recently. He simply removed the "IOD" fuse for 15 seconds and then put it back. That solved
the problem. Two days earlier I was in the deep country in snow with no cell-phone service. Can you imagine what might have happened if this issue had popped-up then? Especially the fact that there was an easy fix that I wasn't aware of.

So my car was gone for 24 hours, the tow and "fix" together probably cost Chrysler three or four hundred dollars, and it should have never happened to start with.

What is the theory on why this happened? The Tech thinks that static electricity (It's winter now) somehow zapped the computer into not being able to read the key code, and so shut down the engine.

To me, this is a really serious issue, as these vehicles were MADE to go out where even cell phones fail. This could get someone killed!

Have any of you experienced this yet?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
re:the car wont start.....

I do not want to be a jerk-wad and make your introduction to JKOwners ( the only forum that matters) a rough one but I cannot get past your fourth sentance which begins,"I turned the key and there seemed to be a slight hesitation, but the car..."

maybe your Jeep is angry that you are calling it a car.
It is a Jeep. Not a car by any stretch of the imagination.

I am betting the mechanic left your negative battery cable disconnected for you and that was it because the Ignition Off Draw fuse pull would be the same as doing that.

The term ignition-off draw identifies a normal condition where power is being drained from the battery with the ignition
switch in the Off position. The IOD fuse feeds the memory and sleep mode functions for some of the electronic
modules in the vehicle as well as various other accessories that require battery current when the ignition switch is
in the Off position, including the clock. The only reason the IOD fuse is disconnected is to reduce the normal IOD
of the vehicle electrical system during new vehicle transportation and pre-delivery storage to reduce battery depletion,
while still allowing vehicle operation so that the vehicle can be loaded, unloaded and moved as needed by both
vehicle transportation company and dealer personnel.
The IOD fuse is disconnected from Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) fuse cavity 18 when the vehicle is
shipped from the assembly plant. Dealer personnel must reconnect the IOD fuse when the vehicle is being prepared
for delivery in order to restore full electrical system operation. Once the vehicle is prepared for delivery, the IOD
function of this fuse becomes transparent and the fuse that has been assigned the IOD designation becomes only
another Fused B(+) circuit fuse. The IOD fuse serves no useful purpose to the dealer technician in the service or
diagnosis of any vehicle system or condition, other than the same purpose as that of any other standard circuit
protection device.
The IOD fuse can be used by the vehicle owner as a convenient means of reducing battery depletion when a vehicle
is to be stored for periods not to exceed about thirty days. However, it must be remembered that disconnecting
the IOD fuse will not eliminate IOD, but only reduce this normal condition. If a vehicle will be stored for more than
about thirty days, the battery negative cable should be disconnected to eliminate normal IOD; and, the battery
should be tested and recharged at regular intervals during the vehicle storage period to prevent the battery from
becoming discharged or damaged.

welcome to computer driven trucks/jeeps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-10-2015, 03:08 PM
Rock God

This is a well known problem with small variation depending on the year. Search WCM, SKREEM, Intermittent no strat/crank, and battery cable ground fault on here. Also PCM-P0513 and WCM-B1A25. Are you throwing any codes?

and although I can imagine it, I don;t have to, having been stuck well out of cell phone reach several times with family aboard, before I switched to a non-FOB key!

It is also a litlle known fact, that the keys will time out if not used for too long.

Last edited by Catfish; 03-10-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Rock God

Never heard of the keys timing out if not used for a long time. It must be for more than a couple months, as I have let mine sit for that amount of time with no problems. My spare key has been sitting for several years, and it worked fine.

The WCM is sensitive to static discharge. A spark when you insert the key can make it so it will not recognize the key's transponder.

Pulling the IOD resets the WCM. Disconnecting the battery negative cable will do the same thing, but pulling the IOD fuse is easier to do.

There was a TSB about this back in 2008. It said to do the IOD fuse disconnect for 10 seconds. If it didn't work, or if it worked and the WCM had an early serial number, the technician was to replace the WCM.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-10-2015 at 03:42 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Rock God

chapman dealer tech in payson told me about the time out thing.....could be BS as I may have looked about to burst a gasket at the time and needed expectation management
post #6 of 9 Old 03-11-2015, 08:27 PM
Granite Guru

I have had the same thing happen with my 09. I had an aftermarket chip key made and was having trouble with it intermittently this winter. I finally figured out that the key was getting too cold. I could switch to the factory key and it would start and then back to the chip key and no start. I can warm the key in my hand for a minute and it'll work fine.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-28-2015, 01:17 AM
Wheeler

I've been having the same issue on my 13' since it was new. We've tried new keys, and I had them replace the WCM module. It still happens intermittently,which leads me to believe that the static theory is true, or there is an issue with the signal being sent from the WCM to the ECM via CanBus. Either way it's annoying and I hope they alleviate this issue in the next iteration of the Wrangler.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-28-2015, 02:01 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to warcop

Warcop

2012 JKU Sport, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex, Smittybilt SRC Side Armor, Mesh Grille MOD, Sony Double DIN AV Receiver, Back up Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, ARB Twin Compressor, Dominion Off Road High Lift Mount, Homemade Paracord Grab Handles, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Paramount Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, KC Hilites Daylighters, under seat lock box, Metal Cloak Front Bumper, BARTACT Seat Covers, BARTACT Sun Shade, x20 Comp Winch, sPOD, ARB Air lockers, 4.10 Gears.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-28-2015, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

haha , Warcop!
I have finally trained my wife and kids to stop calling both of our Jeeps 'cars' and sometimes the battles were not too unlike your meme....
ya got trucks , ya got cars & then there's the Jeeps....
dammit!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode