Brake lights gone erratic... help!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-08-2015, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Brake lights gone erratic... help!!

As of the last week my jeeps wiring has gone erratic. I pulled the power terminal off of the battery last week and I thought it fixed it but I was wrong.

When I apply my brakes my front orange signal/marker lights light up. All my wiring is stock. It does it only when my headlamps are in the off position. Oh and my drivers side rear brake light is stuck in the bright position. I changed the bulb, no fix.

Any thing like this happen to anyone yet? Probable cause? Fix?

-GlennH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-10-2015, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

bump anyone?
post #3 of 4 Old 03-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Rock God

Electrical problems suck, for sure. Have you installed anything that has tapped into any factory wiring?

Just for fun, I'd probably check that my battery was putting out 12V and isn't going out. Assuming that''s not the problem, it could be the TIPM going out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Rock God

I've seen really weird issues with lights like that when a ground is bad somewhere. I had a car that had a similar type of issue and the root cause was a corroded ground in one of the bulb sockets. When you get a bad ground power will often find it's way to a ground through other bulbs, through switches when they are in certain positions, etc.

I know that doesn't help much.

Good luck.

Edit: I would pay special attention to the ground of the light that stays in the bright position. It could be that if the ground is missing, instead of power going across the "dim" filament and to ground, it goes across both filaments, and grounds through a switch somewhere. Just a thought. That is basically what was happening on the car I worked on.

Also, when you apply the brakes, does the "stuck bright" light go off completely? That would support the bad ground theory.

Last edited by BigTB; 03-10-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode