LED bulb in Hallogen KC - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-03-2015, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to jlagross
LED bulb in Hallogen KC

Hello everyone,

Question if this will work or not,

I currently have KC slimlites , a pillar are long range 150W , bumper mounted are 100W driving, using halogen bulbs.

My question is can i replace the bulbs with h3 LED's ? will the pattern be the same?

The bulb swap is simple but i cant find any reference of anyone doing this swap.

Thank you!
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-03-2015, 10:11 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlagross View Post
Hello everyone,

Question if this will work or not,

I currently have KC slimlites , a pillar are long range 150W , bumper mounted are 100W driving, using halogen bulbs.

My question is can i replace the bulbs with h3 LED's ? will the pattern be the same?

The bulb swap is simple but i cant find any reference of anyone doing this swap.

Thank you!
Jason
In short, no. I state that based on an assumption that the bulb you're looking at has either a lexan collector (clear plastic cover that resembles a prism) or side mounted COB LED's. The halogen bulb sits at a specific point in the reflector and shines light almost 360 degrees. (Minus the bulb base.) The prism style collector still focuses light in a limited pattern and the bulb will sit lower in the reflector changing the overall pattern. The back to back COB pattern will be closer, but you'll have weird artifacts and two places where you'll have dark spots since the COB LED's are mounted on a Heat Sink and have some distance between them. If I was going to choose one, i'd look for a H3 that uses the side mounted COB style LED.

You'd still be better off replacing those lights with something like KC's new Gravity LED lights where they designed the optics to work with LED technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-04-2015, 06:49 AM
Granite Guru

I know KC is selling LED replacements for the Daylighters I have on my Jeep (the NY salt is corroding the reflector!).
Check to see if they have anything for the Slimlights. That would be the best route to ensure the light is utilizing the reflector properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimscale View Post
I know KC is selling LED replacements for the Daylighters I have on my Jeep (the NY salt is corroding the reflector!).
Check to see if they have anything for the Slimlights. That would be the best route to ensure the light is utilizing the reflector properly.
When I looked into that, they only had LED retrofit kits for the Daylighters and Gravity lights .
If you find out they now make 'em for the Slimlites, some of my budget is getting re-prioritized.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #5 of 6 Old 03-04-2015, 08:42 PM

I think you are probably going to be short on money going for LEDs to replace 100+ watt halogen incans. Incans are dirt cheap to make while LEDs would require multiple emitters special reflectors/optics and probably some sort of electronic circuitry.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie_bhant View Post
I think you are probably going to be short on money going for LEDs to replace 100+ watt halogen incans.
If you're referring to my budget comment, I said re-prioritized, not wrecked.
Good lighting is like good shoes and good tools - totally fawkin' worth it!

No argument that high-power LED lights with good optics are not cheap, but the power is there these days, and well-placed.
I have a single Baja Designs XL Pro waiting to go on the center of my front bumper, and it's as bright as a 130W Daylighter.

Quote:
Incans are dirt cheap to make while LEDs would require multiple emitters special reflectors/optics and probably some sort of electronic circuitry.
Correct. The XL Pro makes 4300 lumens using multiple (4) emitters, special reflectors and some sort of electronic circuitry.

WAIT . . . [TINFOIL] ^^^ I SMELL A SPAMMER ESTABLISHING A PRESENCE

7:12 PM
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm Steph from Santa Monica LA. Thanks for accepting me here. Hope to learn so many things here in the future.
7:23 PM
Quote:
this is cool hahahaha... i wonder what will my mom say and reaction if she founds out our car have this kind of knob haha
7:25 PM
Quote:
is that applicable to everybody or maybe just the long time members here?
7:31 PM
Quote:
that's so wonderful.... very masculine in nature....

I wonder where can someone purchase it? hehe
7:42 PM
Quote:
I think you are probably going to be short on money going for LEDs to replace 100+ watt halogen incans. Incans are dirt cheap to make while LEDs would require multiple emitters special reflectors/optics and probably some sort of electronic circuitry.
7:46 PM
Quote:
It is not difficult to diagnose cruise control problems. A car's cruise system is composed of four separate parts, involving both mechanical and electrical systems. Should your cruise control fail, you should do some troubleshooting before you take the car into an auto repair shop. Most problems with the cruise control can be fixed very simply.

The vacuum system is the most common component to fail. To diagnose problems with the vacuum system, you will need a vacuum pump. Use the pump to apply vacuum pressure. It should release when you press the brake pedal.

Wiring - To test the wiring, you will need to be able to access the cruise control connector. This is located behind the dash, and will require that you remove a trim panel to access it. You want to use a multimeter and test each of the eight connections in the connector.

The steering column switch is another component that rarely fails. If everything else is correct, you will want to check this switch. Hook up your multimeter and ensure that you get a reading when the switch is depressed. If you do not, then you likely have an issue with this switch.

Hope this helps
BEEN PRETTY DAMNED SOCIAL IN THE FIRST 3 HOURS HERE, BUT NOTHING ABOUT JEEPS? [/TINFOIL]

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode