Trickest Cobra 75 Install? (Pics please!) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Trickest Cobra 75 Install? (Pics please!)

Alright, who has the trickest Cobra 75 install in their JK???

I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel, so I'd love to see pics of clean installs that do NOT have the CB dominating the interior of the Jeep.

I am a wheeler, but I also like my rig to look clean. I just ordered my CB, Firestik, and gear, so let her rip with the pics!!!!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by cruzcode; 03-11-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Granite Guru

Just about everyone (including me) takes the glovebox out and mounts it on the metal bar running across the bottom.

See:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=239789
I wouldn't zip tie like in the one pic - use screws (good ground) See md_rubi post in:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6883

Microphone placements differ - I made a bracket that mounts to a screw holding the MyGIG. I ran to cord directly to the unit - no panel mount connector, I rarely remove the microphone. See:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8747

I didn't like trying to hear that small speaker in the handset so I got the external speaker and placed it under the driver side dash mounted to the metal support bracket by the outside wall. See:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=359225

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!

Last edited by chasinternet; 03-10-2010 at 11:02 PM.
post #3 of 31 Old 03-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Rock God

From reading, it seems like the Cobra 75 is a self-contained unit in the handset, there's no actual CB to mount except for the junction box?

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
2010 Jeep JK Sport 2dr/6spd/3.73's

Go visit
...and tell your friends!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 03-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfJK View Post
From reading, it seems like the Cobra 75 is a self-contained unit in the handset, there's no actual CB to mount except for the junction box?
Right. Well, there is a small unit the size of a deck of cards for all the connections (power, antenna, and CB cable to the hand unit.) I stuck that under my drivers seat, rand the CB cable under my dash, have it coming out and up on the pass side of my center console, and have the CB actually hanging on a bracket that comes out from the side of my radio.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
post #5 of 31 Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Rock God

Mounted my box to cross bar under steering column.
Ran extension from box to Daystar switch panel for the mic.
Not complete yet, I am waiting on ext cord.
This weekend should have it completed and tuned.
Mounted my antenna to license bracket/housing.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #6 of 31 Old 03-11-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinternet View Post
Just about everyone (including me) takes the glovebox out and mounts it on the metal bar running across the bottom.

See:
I wouldn't zip tie like in the one pic - use screws (good ground) See md_rubi post in:

Microphone placements differ - I made a bracket that mounts to a screw holding the MyGIG. I ran to cord directly to the unit - no panel mount connector, I rarely remove the microphone. See:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8747

I didn't like trying to hear that small speaker in the handset so I got the external speaker and placed it under the driver side dash mounted to the metal support bracket by the outside wall. See:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=359225

Thank you. These are good posts, and nice pics to describe the install. I specifically like the speaker mounting in one of your other posts, well done.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #7 of 31 Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUN LS1 View Post
Right. Well, there is a small unit the size of a deck of cards for all the connections (power, antenna, and CB cable to the hand unit.) I stuck that under my drivers seat, rand the CB cable under my dash, have it coming out and up on the pass side of my center console, and have the CB actually hanging on a bracket that comes out from the side of my radio.
Thanks!

How much power does the thing need? Is it hard to wire up?

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
2010 Jeep JK Sport 2dr/6spd/3.73's

Go visit
...and tell your friends!
post #8 of 31 Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks!

I wired it directly to my battery so it'd always work. Very easy to do.

ALL FUN!
post #9 of 31 Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks!

I wired mine to accessory power.
Even when it is turned off and/or mic unplugged it draws power if you wire to constant hot.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #10 of 31 Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
Even when it is turned off and/or mic unplugged it draws power if you wire to constant hot.
Not worried.

ALL FUN!
post #11 of 31 Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
not enough to be concerned with. I like the ability to fire up the CB without having to turn the Jeep on

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #12 of 31 Old 03-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
not enough to be concerned with. I like the ability to fire up the CB without having to turn the Jeep on
I have mine directly wired too - I was wondering about battery run down if I forgot to turn the CB off - with the engine off and CB on mine draws 82ma - so not going to be a problem unless I left the Jeep off for months.

With the unit off I didn't know it draws anything - nothing measured on the meter - so I got curious.

I just rechecked with a better meter and with the CB off it draws about .01 ma - which may be a power supply capacitor and it would eventually go to zero for a period of time.

Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!
post #13 of 31 Old 03-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Rock God

Note: that cast metal under the glove box was unfinished and very sharp on mine. wear gloves.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #14 of 31 Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiZealot View Post
Note: that cast metal under the glove box was unfinished and very sharp on mine. wear gloves.
But the only way I know something is going to work is when there has been a blood sacrifice.

post #15 of 31 Old 03-11-2010, 11:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinternet View Post
But the only way I know something is going to work is when there has been a blood sacrifice.
AMEN to that.. A Blood sacrifice to the Jeep gods.. LOL I think I bleed some on every mod I do..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #16 of 31 Old 03-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Rock God

I've got the Tuffy Storage Bin, it mounts from the sound bar to the top of the windshield. CB fits inside and it locks all the wires run under the plastic and the antennae is mounted on the front right of the windshield. I used a KC light bracket to mount the antennae.

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
post #17 of 31 Old 03-27-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Question

Guys, how have you all run the cable from front to rear, and into and through the tailgate? Did you run your power wires for the junction box through the drivers side grommet hole and across the firewall, or did you do something else???

Thanks -- RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #18 of 31 Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 AM
Wheeler

I too mounted it behind glove box.

Also found a cable at Radio Shack that plugs into ext speaker on cobra, and then I plug it into aux jack on the jeep radio. Used a little 90 degree plug so it lays flat.

True you can't jam to ACDC or ZZTOP wheelin, but you should prob be payin attention to yer driving anyway lol
post #19 of 31 Old 03-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

I hear yea, I am all about clean installs. Mine CB install looks exactly like this. Borrowed this from " Alec W Guest"

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
post #20 of 31 Old 03-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Rock God

has anyone grabbed power/ ground under the dash?

I just got everything run up to the front today, but not sure where to grab the power.

I made a bracket and attached my firestick to that, but have not ground it back there. Do I need to ground it back there? If so, any suggestions?
post #21 of 31 Old 03-31-2010, 07:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Rated View Post
has anyone grabbed power/ ground under the dash?

I just got everything run up to the front today, but not sure where to grab the power.

I made a bracket and attached my firestick to that, but have not ground it back there. Do I need to ground it back there? If so, any suggestions?
Poke a hole in the foam on the passenger side and wire it to the battery. If you want to tap power elsewhere I belive there is something in the console-Check quadratec they sell something-even if you don't want to buy it you can get an idea where to look for the juice!!
post #22 of 31 Old 03-31-2010, 07:10 AM
JKO Addict!

[QUOTE=chasinternet;370522]Just about everyone (including me) takes the glovebox out and mounts it on the metal bar running across the bottom.

See:

Does the unit actually need to be grounded? Just used some industrial strength velcro and stuck it to the back of the lower panel under the glovebox on the passenger side and it works like a charm so far. Will be adding the external speaker shortly!
post #23 of 31 Old 03-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Rock God

Thanks guys!!!! WIll run it later today. One last Q: Do I need to ground the antena also? I am going to run straight to the battery as suggested.
post #24 of 31 Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Rated View Post
Thanks guys!!!! WIll run it later today. One last Q: Do I need to ground the antena also? I am going to run straight to the battery as suggested.
Depends on how you mount it. For best performance you will want the antenna well grounded.

I've got mine mounted on a tab on my tire swing so it is grounded well. Prior to that I had it mounted on the OEM tire carrier (aluminum) so I had to run a ground wire to the body tub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #25 of 31 Old 03-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Wheeler

Just a side note, when I originally installed mine I cut a hole in the plastic kick plate under the glove box to run the handset cord to,but after a while your passenger will get tired of having the wire dangling out into their feet/knee area. To solve this, just leave the control box under the glove box as everyone else, but just tuck the cord to the left of the passengers foot area and tuck it under the first part of the center console and clip your handset onto your radio bracket and volia! I wish I would have realized this before cutting the hole in the plastic but ohwell!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode