first skip talk. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 03-10-2010, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
first skip talk.

was listening to my CB on my way to class this morning. couple of fellas on there chattin. called in and talked for a bit and got their 20s one guy was from outside of san Francisco, another was from new mexico, and another from north carolina. they were coming in loud and clear but said they were getting some noise from my end. this is with a cobra 19 and 4ft firestick. thought it was pretty cool

tin foil hat from FCC

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Granite Guru

CB long distance communication a.k.a. dxing, skip, seems to peak every few years depending on sunspot cycles.

FCC rules say 155 miles max for CB transmissions but its never been enforced that I know of. I use CB (a.k.a. the 11 meter band) short range when I am Jeepin in groups. It is nice to have around for emergencies - but amateur radio is much better - or a satellite phone (very expensive).

For those interesting in long distance while driving - get a DC power line filter for the CB supply line and you'll hear more (cuts/eliminates the whine from the engine and other electronics). Radio Shack and auto stores use to sell them - but probably the CB market isn't big enough anymore - would expect audio enthusiasts still use them, such as the PAC CSS-5 (5 Amp) and CSS-40 (12A) are inexpensive. Just make sure they are connected to a good frame ground or might not work.

"Back in the day" (1970s) - many people got CBs with SSB since it will transmit further (sounds like Donald Duck talking and difficult to tune in when driving is a downside).

Today - it is difficult to justify using CB when amateur radio licenses are much more accessible.

Technician class amateur radio license is not difficult to get - just a 35 question multiple choice test. There are a lot of websites for learning and taking practice tests - you can even download all the versions of the actual test.

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode