CB install - WTF antenna to pick? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
CB install - WTF antenna to pick?

Getting a Cobra 75

I have no freaking idea what antenna to get. I want to mount it on the stock spare tire carrier.

How do I ground it? How do I tune it? Spring, Stud, Quick Connect, tunable? Sheesh, shouldn't this all be plug-n-play in 2010?

I searched the CB/antenna threads and I'm more confused now than before.

I was looking at the Firestik. Grounding, no grounding antenna???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

definately the 4' firestick... tho personally i have a 6 foot on mine i am big on the cb and i have quite an expensive antennae with crazy good reception... however i have used the firestick alot and it is def one of the best out there... and no you dont need to ground the antennae just, that all comes thru the radio wiring, just make sure you ground the radio correctly

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

post #3 of 25 Old 03-09-2010, 05:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

I have the same cb and this is what I used for a mount and cable:

http://tmrce.stores.yahoo.net/cb-ant...rformance.html FORGET THIS ONE GO TO THE OTHER ONE BELOW

It mounts easily to the stock tire carrier, is already grounded, the cable is also amped and I put a "USA" firestick (tunable) on it and it works great. Haven't used an SWR meeter yet on it but I have no problems trans/recieving. Hope that haelps maybe?
EDIT: damn I should have checked the site, the system I used doesn't show up anymore there? WTF? Sorry, I'll do some more searching and get back to ya!

Ah, here's what I used!!

http://www.thefind.com/buy-5Njcsd1TJ...y=jeep+antenna

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew

Last edited by sniper41; 03-09-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

I like my Wilson, it's bendy so it won't snap when you hit a tree and it doesn't require a spring or anything special on the mount.

I understand the Jeep thing
post #5 of 25 Old 03-09-2010, 05:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hey Mike. Find or make an attachment bracket that uses one or more bolts holding the carrier to the tailgate. Just a simple "L" bracket with a hole for the antenna is all you need. It grounds good like that. You can route the wire inside the tailgate by making a bigger whole in the grommet. Then just follow the rest of the wiring to where you want the CB.

Get everything hooked up and I'll tune if for you and show you how on our next ride.

Oh and you will only need a maximum 4 ft antenna like this. 3 ft might be enough. You really only need about 6" to 1 foot over the roof since these antenna are top loaded. Any more just gets hung up on too much stuff.

You might also shoot a pm to Doug (Slippery). He's running a 4 foot stainless antenna on his swing away carrier. Ask him how he likes that. It's a lot lighter and more flexible than the fire stick. Them things are heavy and stiff.

I've been through about 4 of the flexible k40's. I won't buy another one. They break at the base.

Last edited by RotorHead; 03-09-2010 at 05:17 PM.
post #6 of 25 Old 03-09-2010, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
Hey Mike. Find or make an attachment bracket that uses one or more bolts holding the carrier to the tailgate. Just a simple "L" bracket with a hole for the antenna is all you need. It grounds good like that. You can route the wire inside the tailgate by making a bigger whole in the grommet. Then just follow the rest of the wiring to where you want the CB.

Get everything hooked up and I'll tune if for you and show you how on our next ride.
Sounds great. What antenna are you using on your rig?

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #7 of 25 Old 03-09-2010, 05:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Sounds great. What antenna are you using on your rig?
Funny, you quoted me in the middle of my edit. See above.

And keep in mind that you might be taking advice from the only guy on here with his antenna mounted on the wrong end.

Last edited by RotorHead; 03-09-2010 at 05:30 PM.
post #8 of 25 Old 03-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Funny, you quoted me in the middle of my edit. See above.

And keep in mind that you might be taking advice from the only guy on here with his antenna mounted on the wrong end.

wrong end??? that's where i'm installing the antenna currently in the fedex box on its way to me.

I like front bumper, driver side. easy to see it and keep from taking it out on something on a trail. and typically less overhanging trees/limbs on drivers side. also putting a quick disconnect on it to remove when not on trails as that is the only time I'm going to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
So I guess you're calling him a dick for pointing out something dangerous, which kinda makes you a dick for calling him out and well holy fuck, it makes me a dick for calling you a dick.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuckenmeyer View Post

wrong end??? that's where i'm installing the antenna currently in the fedex box on its way to me.

I like front bumper, driver side. easy to see it and keep from taking it out on something on a trail. and typically less overhanging trees/limbs on drivers side. also putting a quick disconnect on it to remove when not on trails as that is the only time I'm going to use it.
Actually I thought that I would move it back when I got my new bumper, but i never did. The antenna hardly gets hit there and especially not on the base. It also acts like a limb riser at times. I'm prolly still gonna go with a 4 foot stainless though, but it's staying on the front.

Mine's on a disconnect and it comes off at home too. Only way to go. I don't need to listen to Trucker Steve either.

post #10 of 25 Old 03-09-2010, 08:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i made a l bracket that goes on the tail gate using existing holes. i have the 3 ft.

i will be making another one so i can get more above the roof and more spring travel against branches. if you would like to see the write up just click the link in my sig its says tbp's tail gate antenna bracket

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #11 of 25 Old 03-10-2010, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
i made a l bracket that goes on the tail gate using existing holes. i have the 3 ft.

i will be making another one so i can get more above the roof and more spring travel against branches. if you would like to see the write up just click the link in my sig its says tbp's tail gate antenna bracket
That looks like the way I want to do it.

Now, what antenna parts did you buy?

, Granite,
post #12 of 25 Old 03-10-2010, 01:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i bought a spring and a connection mount. its basically a converter thing i guess the coax goes on one end while the spring with antenna goes in the other it screws apart and has washers on it so that the inner part goes thru the hole then the other side goes on it it holds it tight on both sides.

i lloked at the radio shack site but didnt see it.

3ft firestik

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #13 of 25 Old 03-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
No dual front? Co-phased antennas work really well (signal boosted toward front and rear) although with a stubby can't get the optimal 5+ feet apart.

My advice on antennas is get a tunable so SWR can be low - outside of that its all install - good ground, if you don't mind a front install then having it away from objects does give better distances. I have a Radio Shack with a tuning slug top on the license plate with my own custom bracket mount to give a good body ground.

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!
post #14 of 25 Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Granite Guru

I've got the 3' firestik with a spring and the quick disconnect mounted on my spare tire carrier. Went with the firestik Firering coax cable, was pretty simple to wire up. It grounds through the mount.

Definitely recommend the firestik, mine got ran over by a truck and still works great...

NOT A DUDE!

Steel Blue 2008 Sahara 2dr with stuff & things
NONE SHALL PASS!
post #15 of 25 Old 03-11-2010, 01:11 AM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinternet View Post
No dual front? Co-phased antennas work really well (signal boosted toward front and rear) although with a stubby can't get the optimal 5+ feet apart.

My advice on antennas is get a tunable so SWR can be low - outside of that its all install - good ground, if you don't mind a front install then having it away from objects does give better distances. I have a Radio Shack with a tuning slug top on the license plate with my own custom bracket mount to give a good body ground.
I got about 5 feet...

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #16 of 25 Old 03-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjr View Post
I got about 5 feet...
There u go....

and with the 5 foot of lights you can see almost as far as you can talk!

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!
post #17 of 25 Old 03-11-2010, 01:28 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinternet View Post
There u go....

and with the 5 foot of lights you can see almost as far as you can talk!
LOL, that is not all that there will be in the end...

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #18 of 25 Old 03-18-2010, 11:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
i bought a spring and a connection mount. its basically a converter thing i guess the coax goes on one end while the spring with antenna goes in the other it screws apart and has washers on it so that the inner part goes thru the hole then the other side goes on it it holds it tight on both sides.

i lloked at the radio shack site but didnt see it.

3ft firestik
I bought a 4 foot Firestik and the Teraflex rear gate mount. I put the mount on, and forgot to order the mounting stud. When I held up the antenna, it looks like I could pick-up waves from the space station!

In otherwords, I'm thinking of storing the 4ft antenna, and ordering the 3ft model. How is your reception/range?

Thanks -- RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #19 of 25 Old 03-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Rock God

Why not just go witht he complete cool-tech setup?

Cobra 75, 4ft firestik, cable, antenna mount, mount for the 75, for $200.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_C...nOne_kit.shtml

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
2010 Jeep JK Sport 2dr/6spd/3.73's

Go visit
...and tell your friends!

Last edited by SmurfJK; 03-19-2010 at 07:27 AM.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Granite Guru

I used TBP's gate antena bracket, thanks for the idea BTW, and I went with a 4' Firestik FireFly antenna. It is a flexible antenna, so I didn't do a spring. I bought everything at a local CB shop and spent about $50 less than the cool-tech setup, possibly because I didn't spend $40 for a piece of bent metal ;-)

Flick

2013 Gecko Rubi Unlimited
post #21 of 25 Old 03-21-2010, 07:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
oring the 4ft antenna, and ordering the 3ft model. How is your reception/range?

Thanks -- RC
I went with a 3 foot and tera bracket it was perfect. I have since mounted the bracket to my XRC tire carrier

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #22 of 25 Old 03-21-2010, 07:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wilson 4' flexible Good reception bends like crazy without breaking!!

mounted on the tailgate

post #23 of 25 Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 AM
JKO Addict!

that's what I need! I have to take my firestick off anytime I pull in the garage.... I know I am gonna forget one of these days and....sssssssssssnap!

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #24 of 25 Old 03-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Granite Guru

While I'm a big fan of the Firesticks, the one I had was too rigid for the Jeep. I switched to a Wilson Flex 3 with a spring and a quick disconnect. So far it has taken a beating from more branches than I care to count.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #25 of 25 Old 03-24-2010, 09:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
While I'm a big fan of the Firesticks, the one I had was too rigid for the Jeep. I switched to a Wilson Flex 3 with a spring and a quick disconnect. So far it has taken a beating from more branches than I care to count.
THIS! just pulled my FS 3' and have a WilsonFlex4 on the way

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode