need advice on fog light replacement - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

need advice on fog light replacement

I'm changing my 2014 jk's bumper to the src stinger, since it does not have space for the fog lights i was hoping to replace them with some 4" leds, however instead of wiring a new switch, is it possible to just use the fog light function on the factory lights switch? if so are there any precautions i need to make, like wire replacements and changing the fuse amp tolerance.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Granite Guru

Since there LED I don't see any reason why fuse amp tolerance would be a worry. I use LED cubes for fog lights and love them! They connected right into the stock wiring.
The downside to that is that every time I use the fogs and have the radio on its all static. I know some lights come with interference prevention. (horrible way to describe it)

Just shop around and you should be able to find exactly what your looking for without any problems. Good luck.

Nick, I use the word AWESOME a lot.
2007 'Rescue Green' JKU
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-24-2015, 10:50 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

O.P - J.W Speaker came out with plug and play fog lights, VisionX makes plug and play fog lights. There's always installing K.C lights, Rigid, of Baja Designs with a little wire splicing. Do a little research and pick what you think is best for you.

LOD Rock Sliders, PSC rear bumper w/tire carrier and Brawler lite front bumper w/stinger, GenRight Alum Fenders, XRC 10 winch w/Viking Synthetic Line, RI 10" E-Series light, 4 D2 lights, 2 SR-M series, ARB front/rear air lockers, ARB compressor, Rock Krawler 3.5" MTS w/Blistein 5100 shocks 35" BFG KM2's on M/T Side Bitter Rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-25-2015, 04:06 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

i just tapped into the fog light wires behind the stock plug and then wrapped it all up. mine are cheep LEDs. easiest thing to do it look at the specs of the lights you are interested in. they should list an expected amperage draw. so long as it is comfortably under the stock fog light circuit rating, you should be fine whatever light you choose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #5 of 5 Old 02-25-2015, 06:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Wire any lights you choose to a relay, and splice into the stock fog light wire to trigger the relay. Doesn't matter what the draw of the lights is that way.

I replaced my stock fog lights with some cheap ones from the local auto parts store. I used one of my old fog light bulbs to make a connector, that way I didn't cut any wires (personal preference, no real pro or con either way IMO). Broke the glass of the bulb, and soldered wires to the connector inside the "bulb". Filled the connector with epoxy, and it has been working for a couple of years now.

Or buy one of the kits that are plug-n-play, as mentioned, if you would rather go that route instead of the DIY.

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode