Cheap "on board air" - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Cheap "on board air"

Hey guys i posted my welcome post and im always modding my jeep so i figured id share my last mod.

I did a on the cheap on board air to fill my tires up after a day of wheeling or incase i forget to air up, or find a damsel in distress

so i went to my local canadian tire and picked this up
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...l#.VOihRi5OVqE

this was the only thing my store had in stock. i specifically was looking for something that you can set the air pressure and walk away. i didnt read any reviews before i purchased so here goes nothing.

first thing i did was tear apart the compressor to see what was all in it.

looked fairly simple to be honest so i tore apart the jeep

i mounted the compressor into the tailgate of the jeep

and mounted the screen in the back panel

this is what i assume to be the pressure sensor, i had to extend these wires to the controller, also had to extend the power wire to the compressor

put a bulkhead brass fitting through the gate and put the plastic cover back on.

i purchased the daystar lower dash panel for inside the cab and ordered some switches (not here yet so not connected) to power this compressor

Heres the final setup being used for the first time to do some time trails and make sure it works. im using a 20 foot coil hose

so if anyones curious on how it works. my current tire set up is 305/70/16 nitto mud grapplers. i aired the tire down to 15 psi. (which the digital screen agreed with after i plugged it it) set the module to 30 psi and hit start. 7 minutes later the compressor turned off and tire was full!!

as far as i can tell this system is completely upgradable, so i plan on installing either a second compressor or a larger on in place of this one.

feel free to share thoughts or ask questions. ill answer best i can

Last edited by Colonel6632; 02-21-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2015, 08:44 AM
Granite Guru

Good job! How hot does the compressor get in the tailgate?
post #3 of 9 Old 02-21-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

well its mounted right in front of the plastic vent so it gets lots of ventilation. but during my tests, i couldnt feel any heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Rock God

Garage

Each tire took 7 mins?? Damn, a half hour. Super trick setup though! Very clean.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #5 of 9 Old 02-21-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

ya sadly it takes a while. but its nice that you can walk away and leave it. and its expandable for a bigger compressor later on
post #6 of 9 Old 02-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Nice. I like the location.

USMC
post #7 of 9 Old 02-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

Makes me wonder if I can ram my Extremeaire compressor in that space. Great idea.

I also wonder if a small compressor in this space, combined with one behind each taillight and plumbed and wired together would make enough combined air to be useful. Three small compressors would still be pretty cheap, plus you'd gain some redundancy, if one or two compressors bit the dust, you could still air up, albeit slower, with the remaining unit(s).

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #8 of 9 Old 02-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Granite Guru

It takes a while to air up with a small compressor.

I am usually too lazy and either drive home or to the nearest gas station with 12lbs of air in my tires.

Probably increases tire wear but I won't spend half an hour waiting for the tires to fill up.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-22-2015, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

well the plan is to later get a vair onboard air compressor, a pneumatic solenoid, and an air tank. the compressor will build the tank up to 130psi with a quick coupler for air tools, then have this tailgate coupler still for airing up tires with the digital controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode