Handheld CB for Moab - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-07-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Handheld CB for Moab

Freakin stoked for Moab. I dont own a cb unit, and dont have intentions on using one much. But if time and the wife permit, I would like to start hitting the trails with fellow off-roaders. Moab being the first. And I would like to communicate with those in close proximity. Would a hand-held cb work for my needs.? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Rock God

For close proximity trail use the answer is yes. I have used the Cobra HH 38 WX ST on the trail with great results. It's a great unit that sends and receives quite well when the people you want to communicate with are close in proximity.

I purchased the hand held because I did not want to invest in a permanent mounted unit. I believed the handheld would fit my needs and allow me to communicate with my buddies when four wheeling. The unit worked but I soon realized that I really needed a more powerful unit that would allow me to talk with my friends while driving TO the trail. With the handheld unit I often found myself only being able to listen to the conversation rather then being a part of it.

Regardless, the handheld has been used quite extensively. It has been passed around to various friends that haven't purchased a permanent cb and performed quite well while on the trail. Driving on the highway leaves alot to be desired but for dedicated trail use it will do what you expect.

Good luck.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #3 of 5 Old 03-08-2010, 11:28 AM
JKO Addict!

I have a Cobra HH that I used while out in Moab last Aug and it worked out fine. I've also used it while on local trails as well without any issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Wheeler

I'm real happy with my Midland 75-822. It can be used as a stand alone handheld with AA batteries or change the base and plug into your cigarette lighter for power. This base also has an antenna plug so you can use an externally mounted antenna to maximize your transmission range. I've got my antenna base and wiring permanently installed and when I hit the trail, I plug the radio in and screw on the antenna and away I go.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMoyer View Post
I'm real happy with my Midland 75-822. It can be used as a stand alone handheld with AA batteries or change the base and plug into your cigarette lighter for power. This base also has an antenna plug so you can use an externally mounted antenna to maximize your transmission range. I've got my antenna base and wiring permanently installed and when I hit the trail, I plug the radio in and screw on the antenna and away I go.
x2, great as a handheld and can be upgraded later for use with a full antenna setup.

2017 4 Door Rubicon
Midland 75-822 with 3' Firestik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode