Jeep started drive jeep jeep stalls jeep won't restart help! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-17-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Jeep started drive jeep jeep stalls jeep won't restart help!

Ok so I am going to an appointment. It starts and drives. I get a block down the road and it stalls. Starter turns motor and no fire. The a couple of times it seemed to catch and run but for only one cylinder.

Ok that is what happened. Now for a bit more info.

I installed a york OBA system. I just finished the wiring today. It ran obviously when doing this and buttoning everything up thinking I am done. When doing the wiring I wanted a power source under the dash. Looked on line and can't remember where but there was of mention of just find a power ignition source from steering column.

Well I don't know if your thinking what I am thinking but I feel I disturbed the imobilizer some how.

Right now I disconnected the battery while I research this. I have tried two keys and took off the wire I tapped into the ignition with. That wire is intact. I can get pics up if that helps. Immobilizer light is not flashing. No engine codes.

What to do?

I am going out right now to see if there is fuel pressure at all. I think that is what the immobilizer does is just cuts fuel.

Thanks.

What can you do?
Tell me about immobilizer.
Tell me at else could it be even though I think this is likely the issue.
Tell me where a safe place is for getting a ignition power source besides radio and cigarette lighter power ports. LOL

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-17-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Module in steering column that I tapped into for ignition power. What is this?

There are four wires plugged into it on the right side. I tapped the pink one.
Honestly I wonder if I did nothing and there is another explanation for this that is just a coincidence.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JeepUpKeep37s; 02-17-2015 at 04:58 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-17-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Ok I put gas down the intake and the motor ran right away.

So fuel delivery is the issue!

Now is that immobilizer or just coincidence that it is caused by a fault with fuel pump etc? I doubt it is the fuel pump. More to do to my wire tap. Boy am I amd at myself now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-17-2015, 06:09 PM
Granite Guru

I think the immobilizer does kill the fuel pump. As for getting ignition power, you should tap into the fuse box and there are some threads on here showing you where to do that. Or you can just use a test light and find a fuse location that is hot when the ignition is on.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-17-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

How can I test the fuel pump pressure?

post #6 of 14 Old 02-17-2015, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well I searched and searched.

Could be TIPM, or could be PCM and fuel pump, could be just fuel pump.

I need a service manual. I have had years of TIPM issues from cooling fan staying on or not coming on, or the side siezure activity (horn honking, wipers going, washer fluid spraying, door locks locking and unlocking all together very erratic, whether it is running, driving or turned off). Give the TIPM a fonzereli jukebox hammering and it would stop.

Anyone know where there is a manual?

post #7 of 14 Old 02-17-2015, 11:16 PM
Granite Guru

Go with the easy stuff first...what were you doing? Dicking around with the wiring - so check what could have gone wrong there. Did you check your fuses? Maybe you shorted one out? Might check the one for the fuel pump to start with?

I'm not sure why you want to check the fuel pressure because it sounds like you've already identified the fact the that the engine is not getting fuel by dumping gas in the intake.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-18-2015, 12:49 AM
Rock God

I don't know how the OBA setup kit comes, but did you tie the ignition wire to a relay or did it go direct to the compressor?

I'd check to make sure battery terminals were tight (assuming you ran something to these) and definitely would check for a blown fuse.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-18-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
I don't know how the OBA setup kit comes, but did you tie the ignition wire to a relay or did it go direct to the compressor?

I'd check to make sure battery terminals were tight (assuming you ran something to these) and definitely would check for a blown fuse.
Compressor clutch draws less than 4amps. The fuse box covers any of that. You make a good point though. I didn't know what I plugged into and it could have blown what ever fuse is in there. Hindsight is 20 20. This was not a wise move and laziness played apart, that is if even caused a problem. Adequate switch and wire was used for clutch. No 30 amp relay is needed for this due to low draw of clutch.

I will check all fuses to ensure everything is intact.

Battery terminals are fine, only positive post was taken off when installing.
Will be going to fuse box for a source or just to the 12 volt accessory plug ins on Center console

Edit: I can check to see if there is power at the wire I tapped into pretty easy as well. That will tell me if there is a possible fuse blown right away.

Last edited by JeepUpKeep37s; 02-18-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: To add info
post #10 of 14 Old 02-18-2015, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Ok did some testing basic stuff that I can do without a FSM. If anyone has a link for FSM download let know. I have tried a few and it has led me to duds to open. I have one that is in ISO format and I can open it but it's a single blank page.

First their is still power to the wire I tapped into.
2nd - all fuses are in good condition.
3rd - I checked for power to all fuses and there is specific fuses that don't have power. This could be normal. The fuses with no power even with ignition on are m19, m21, m22, m23, m24, m25.

M19 - ASD *1 and *2
M21 - ASD *3
M22 - right horn
M23 - left horn
M24 - rear wiper
M25 - fuel pump

I would expect that to be normal. Just to see I will test rear wiper and horn to see if these work. I know of that thread that goes through the TIPM in detail. I am going to review that as well. I don't expect TIPM to be an issue really.

If someone would like to contribute could you check your fuses that I listed to see if there is power to them. It's simple to do with a test light. Connect to negative battery terminal and then touch each fuse on top with the probe of the tester. You won't wreck any thing just looking for power this way. Thanks in advance. It just will confirm that my lack of power at those fuses are normal.

Edit- horn works and rear wiper works. Makes me confident that no power found at the other fuses could be normal.
Need to read up on what I may see if immobilizer is operating to stop the car from running. I would have thought the red LED light in the upper right of the cluster would be flashing or on.

Last edited by JeepUpKeep37s; 02-18-2015 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Add more info.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-18-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Ok review the sentry key immobilizer system as to how it works. I had a good idea but wasn't sure. From the user manual of the jeep it states that with ignition on the indicator light will do a 3 second bulb check and will stay on if there is a problem with the electronics or flash if the vehicle was attempted to be started with a unprogrammed key. If the light is off everything is fine. For my key everything was fine.

I have determined my problem is not caused by what I did and it is a fuel delivery issue.
I need to determine if it is the fuel pump, PCM, or TIPM or combination of.
Now how do you do that?

Starting a new thread and researching also. I think a new thread is worthy as the subject has changed. I will put in links. This info maybe useful for someone else.

New thread: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247690

Last edited by JeepUpKeep37s; 02-18-2015 at 01:49 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
How can I test the fuel pump pressure?
Typically just attach a fuel pressure gauge at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. I think our Jeeps need around 50 PSI. of pump pressure.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-18-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatech View Post
Typically just attach a fuel pressure gauge at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. I think our Jeeps need around 50 PSI. of pump pressure.
There is no Schroeder valve on the jeep 3.8l.
Apparently there is a manufacture specific attachment that goes on the end of the fuel rail. I am not totally clear of the details.

I was even looking for the Schroeder valve just to release pressure and see if the pump was pumping any thing with key on. No dice.

post #14 of 14 Old 02-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Rock God

I'll pop in at your new thread....but. Could simply be the keyfob gone bad and shutting off the fuel as a security measure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode