Help with sub+amp install on '11 JKU w/ Infinity - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-12-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Help with sub+amp install on '11 JKU w/ Infinity

This is for a 2011 JKU with the Infinity System. It's still stock, but I'd like to install a sub and an amp.

Currently debating this package.

Or if I should go with a shallower enclosure like this one. This would be paired with a pioneer 10" shallow sub that's around $140.

Regardless... I don't know jack squat about car audio, but I'm willing to learn. Is this something that I can teach myself, or is something that I should take to a shop and have it professionally done?

I've received a quote for an amp, sub w/ enclosure, wires, and labor for $668.

I consider myself fairly intuitive and a DIYer, but I haven't touched electronics before.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-12-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsl8va View Post
This is for a 2011 JKU with the Infinity System. It's still stock, but I'd like to install a sub and an amp.

Currently debating this package.

Or if I should go with a shallower enclosure like this one. This would be paired with a pioneer 10" shallow sub that's around $140.

Regardless... I don't know jack squat about car audio, but I'm willing to learn. Is this something that I can teach myself, or is something that I should take to a shop and have it professionally done?

I've received a quote for an amp, sub w/ enclosure, wires, and labor for $668.

I consider myself fairly intuitive and a DIYer, but I haven't touched electronics before.

Thoughts?
Installing amps/ subs are pretty simple. The amp is just 3 wires (Power, Ground and Remote) to turn it on. As far as sound or signal you have a signal coming in (RCA Jacks) and the amplified signal going to the sub. Are you planning on getting rid of the factory subwoofer?
post #3 of 5 Old 02-13-2015, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Yes I plan to take the factory sub out. I want to take that whole panel off too and install one from a jeep w/ no sub to make it look cleaner.

I guess I just don't know what resources I could use to install the sub and amp. I'm pretty clueless right now about it and I can't seem to find a step by step of someone doing it with a JKU with an Infinity stock system.

Would a Haynes manual have something like this in there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-16-2015, 09:33 AM
Wheeler

I found more useful information on various forums than in repair manuals. As for the box it's really up to where you want to use the space. Again the forums have a lot of great ideas. For your amp you will need power from the battery, ground to the body, and a switched power source for the remote turn on on your amp.for the signal to your amp you have a few options. The easy / cheap way is to use a line out converter. You wire it up to your existing speakers then it provides RCA outputs to run to your amp. I did this in my 2011 JKU with Infinity system.the factory system uses a low pass filter for the factory subwoofer. you could tap into those wires,they run along the passenger floor and are grey with a black stripe, green with a black stripe for one channel, and grey with a white stripe, and green with a white stripe for the second channel.its a dual voice coil sub. or if you want to use your own low pass filter which is often found on your amp you could tap into the front speakers. Do not tap into the soundbar speakers because they are high pass filtered and have no bass.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-16-2015, 09:42 AM
Wheeler

Also if your amp has high level inputs, you could splice into your existing speaker wire then the wire that directly to your amp without a line out converter. I first bought the PAC SOEM-T line out converter because it has a remote out. It turns out it will not work for the signal on a JK. I then got the PAC SNI-50A and it worked like a charm. I kept the first one because the remote out function still works on it.

Last edited by dkehler; 07-11-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode