ESP Kill Switch - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-04-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

ESP Kill Switch

Ok, so I'm still doing some planning on how I'm going to wire everything up. One of the unknowns is how I'm going to wire this.

I plan on doing an ESP kill switch. I know where the wire is, but I'm unsure how to wire it to a 3 position switch (accessory,ground,power). I'll have the two wires from the ESP wire that I'm cutting into which will go to the switch.

Can I make it so the LED lights up (not a major issue as the dash lights will come on like a Christmas tree when on)?

Someone told me just to use a push button/momentary switch. If at all possible, I'd rather keep the same style toggle switches.

Idea's?

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm looking at a relay setup using a "normally closed" relay. This way, when the switch is not activated, current flows through the circuit much like the stock arrangement. When the switch is activated, the relay opens, breaking the circuit, and disabling the ESP. And it lets me use whatever switch I want.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #3 of 13 Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Granite Guru

got a letter today from my Jeep dealer stating that the ESP can be turned off at the dealership. Did anyone else get one of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Rock God

You might try putting a relay in the system and wire it to activate when turned off (forgot the sequence) and use the main power from the relay to light the LED. Then you'd only use a two way switch on the ESP wire.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #5 of 13 Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 AM
dsy
Granite Guru

I did it by using a relay with the 87 and 87A terminals on it. The 87A is the normally closed contact, so I cut the wire for the esp disable and connected one side to the #30 terminal on the relay and the other to the 87A terminal. That way when you send 12v to the #85 terminal with #86 grounded 87A opens cutting off your esp control.

I hope this makes sense

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
post #6 of 13 Old 03-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Wheeler

i got the letter also the letter states that you can turn it off by doing a stering wheel and key on/off while pushing the button for it . it also states the this will completely shut off esp if i read it right.

08 4 door
Poison spyder body armor Woods muffler/evap relocation kit
Benchmark dual battery tray Superchips tuner
95 yj 4 in lift 33's
post #7 of 13 Old 03-05-2010, 08:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08BLACKJK View Post
i got the letter also the letter states that you can turn it off by doing a stering wheel and key on/off while pushing the button for it . it also states the this will completely shut off esp if i read it right.
Yep. My ESP has been off for 2+ years now.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08BLACKJK View Post
That's correct. But I don't want it off all the time. I'd like the option of turning it off when offroad, while leaving it on to DD.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #9 of 13 Old 03-05-2010, 11:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I wish you can turn off and on esp all the way in 2wd!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #10 of 13 Old 03-06-2010, 12:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

too bad the steering wheel hokey pokey doesnt work on 07s

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-06-2010, 06:29 AM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODICON View Post
You can with the bypass switch.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
post #12 of 13 Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODICON View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
You can with the bypass switch.
Or do the Nintendo code if you have an '08. I like it better than cutting wires.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-06-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverzendz View Post
Or do the Nintendo code if you have an '08. I like it better than cutting wires.
Yeah but who wants to do the Nintendo code every time they want it off? What a major pain in the ass.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode