Connections and Protections - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Connections and Protections

Yeah, I'm still doing research. Trying to make damn sure I don't screw this up when I finally pull the trigger. Prolly overthing this, but I'd always rather OVERthink than UNDERthink when it comes to the electrical systems on my $30K vehicle.

So when you connect wires to relays and switches, do you solder them, or are use some other type of connection like a crimp or quick connect and shrink wrap it?

And how does everyone protect their relays from getting wet/shorted out? Waterproof marine-grade type boxes?

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Granite Guru

Well atleast you started a new thread , I just use a 40 amp bosch relay, crimped female spade connectors, and maybe a little heatshrink to make it pretty. Keep the relay upright (connections on the bottom) and you shouldn't have a probelm

Now install the damn things and post some pics!!
post #3 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Rock God

What's the issue with keeping the relay upright?

For nice connections, solder & heat shrink all covered with wire wrap (for exposed wires outside the cab).

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I think someone was gonna show up at my front door with a punch in the face for me if I kept bumping the FREE LIGHTS thread, so I figured it was time to start a new one

So I CAN use the female crimped connections then? I figured it might work, since they look like they would fit, but I wanted to check and see if this was something people would recommend against BEFORE I get started.

Also, X2 on keeping the connections on the bottom? So it will shed water better? I was considering having the connections facing front with crimped female connections with heat shrink on em. Why point it down?

post #5 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
What's the issue with keeping the relay upright?

For nice connections, solder & heat shrink all covered with wire wrap (for exposed wires outside the cab).
I'm thinking that I'll do the crimped-on connections with heat shrink for all of my connections. I'm still trying to figure out how the heck to use a soldering iron.

post #6 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Granite Guru

I put the relays face up for two reasons, to help shed water and to make the install look a little more professional. I just have an image of water streaming over the contacts and shorting if its upside down (probably won't but why risk)
post #7 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 02:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Insulated female spade connects to connect to the relay itself if you do not have the relay plug itself. It's a personal preference on either solder or crimps(insulated or non insulated) I recomend solder, elctrical grease then heat shrink tubing. The grease keeps the oxygen away that leads to corrosion and then breakage of the connections. All the wiring I did I would use my drill to twist all the wires that went to common places then wrap with electrical tape before install. I would also always wrap all the solder joints that I used heat shrink on with electrical tape as well. Alot of people misuse electrical tape it needs to be pulled really tight when wrapping around the wires. As for quick connects they are very convienient but suck for the long term, most times they break the wire, not the right size and will eventually fail due to corrosion. I had to work on a ridiculous amount of stuff like that in my stereo alarm days.

Solder is easy. Strip the wires, hold a end in each hand and twist so it makes one long wire that looks like the insulation is peeled back, rest the exposed wires on the tip of the solder gun and touch the solder to the wire and let the wire suck it in just like sweating pipe. Make sure that you run the tip over both sides after it sucks it into the wire so there are not any cold joints, and the big one not to forget that will piss you off to no end is the heat shrink tubing before you solder.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The best way to handle a relay is to purchase the proper socket. It makes it easier to replace and keeps all the connections insulated from each other. It is hard to locally but if you take the time a buy the proper crimper you can have a very clean and safe install.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
The best way to handle a relay is to purchase the proper socket. It makes it easier to replace and keeps all the connections insulated from each other. It is hard to locally but if you take the time a buy the proper crimper you can have a very clean and safe install.
Uhh, socket? I'm building my own wiring harness, so I didn't realize I'd need another side to the relay. I'm guessing it looks a little like an edison wall socket, but with slots in the same pattern as the relay? This is a new concept, so I hope that's not a dumb qestion

post #10 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Uhh, socket? I'm building my own wiring harness, so I didn't realize I'd need another side to the relay. I'm guessing it looks a little like an edison wall socket, but with slots in the same pattern as the relay? This is a new concept, so I hope that's not a dumb qestion
2 words. Dielectic grease. Learn it, use it, love it. The stuff is a must in maintaining a good electrical contact if you play in the water.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
post #11 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post

I've ordered from Newark in the past and used some mounts that can chain together. I cant seem to find them now, I'll keep looking. Here is what I can come up with on short notice.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p565.html

Quote:

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #12 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Granite Guru

I only solder my connections with heat shrink tubing. if you can find some, they have heat shrink tubing that has a little "glue" on the inside that completely seals the connection. Very good stuff. You can get Relay sockets for cheap at parts express. great site for most of your electrical needs.

Rubi Lift
MBRB Rock Rails
Smittybuilt XRC Front Bumper
Tinted Windows
Quadratec Floor Mats
post #13 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 08:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I found the Relay mounts I used in the past: DZ85AB-5-WH2. They connect together, really simple and clean.

http://www.aecsensors.com/DZ85_Auto_Relay_Sockets.pdf

Quote:

post #14 of 23 Old 03-03-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks fellas. I kept thinking that the relay I have looks a LOT like an Edison plug, and now I know why - because it frikkin IS an Edison plug.

That alone prolly just saved me a ton of time and a huge pain in the neck trying to figure out why my lights only lasted 6 months before shorting out.

Would autozone have these plugs, or would I need something more like a radio shak?

post #15 of 23 Old 03-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Rock God

I bought relays in the past at a Canadian Tire... they're nothing special, but work.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #16 of 23 Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Rock God

This is what I just installed. I bought the relay box from the UK. It cost a bit, but will be easy to switch out the relays. I cripped then soldered almost every connection. I bought two of the relay boxes just in case I want to make another. I think it was about $15.

post #17 of 23 Old 03-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Rock God

top view before I installed it

post #18 of 23 Old 03-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Rock God

Polycase sells the plastic cases. I have a couple of their cases (one for my SPOD knockoff & one for the relay box).

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #19 of 23 Old 03-07-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Got R Dun

Bumper Bar Beam Pattern:

Winshield Mount Beam Pattern

BOTH Bumper & Windshield Mount Patterns

Dig those switches, bitches!

All lit up:

post #20 of 23 Old 03-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Granite Guru

Ehh, they'd still look better one mine

All kidding aside it looks good!! I love that last pic
post #21 of 23 Old 03-07-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks, mang!

post #22 of 23 Old 03-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Rock God

Dan, that looks awesome. There's nothing like seeing light when you first turn on the switch. Nice work.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #23 of 23 Old 03-07-2010, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiZealot View Post
Dan, that looks awesome. There's nothing like seeing light when you first turn on the switch. Nice work.

Uhm heh... yeah, got every single thing right on the first try...Yup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode