Need Advice: Factory Optioned PW/PL, Used Doors Installed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-04-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Need Advice: Factory Optioned PW/PL, Used Doors Installed

I bought a 2008 this past weekend. There are a few issues since it was rolled back in 2013. I have a fix for everything else, and this one wasn't going to bother me but I should probably lock it every now and then.

It's optioned for power windows and locks with keyless entry. The doors were replaced with ones from a manual JK. Best I can tell, I could spend $1000 and get a set of doors from car-part and be done, or get advice from you guys on how to go about getting my keys and remote on the same page. I think AAA will re-key the doors for cheap or free.

Ideally I would find new doors for somewhere within a couple hundred of an even trade, but I'm realistic in finding a salvage yard that would trade.

What do you think is the best way to proceed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Rock God

well.. i think for now you should just go ahead and re key your lock.. its not to hard to get them out and replace them with ones that match your key.. then in the mean time i would post up pics of your doors maybe for sale... i doubt you will find anyone that wants to trade .. you might get lucky and find someone that wants to trade your full doors for half doors... but go ahead and get the locks taken care of .. then live with the manual doors till something comes along.. do you have a 4 door or 4 door ? you can add power locks without a lot of hassle ... but the windows are more complex.
or if you found a set of power doors for 1000 bucks i would just get those.. im sure you can sell your doors for the same price..
post #3 of 6 Old 02-04-2015, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It's a 2-door. I don't have a problem spending the money on power doors if there's a reasonable expectation I can recoup most of that selling mine. If that's the case, that's the answer.

I could retrofit the factory equipment into mine if that's something people have had good luck attempting.

Btw, I posted this on two forums to see which one was more active and would be a better fit. Because of your post I think we have a winner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Rock God

good.. yeah you will not have a problem selling manual doors at all.. what color ? i think if you want power the easiest way will be to just buy a set of power doors.. i think you will be happier and a lot less hassle... they should be plug and play... except for swapping out your lock if you still want to be able to open the door with the key.. hope it works out for ya good luck ! i would go ahead and list your manual doors for sale.. someone will need a good set of doors.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-04-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

They're black doors with tinted windows, not sure of the % but I would guess between 20-35.

I'm going to have to buy the power doors first so I can ship my current ones out in a timely manner after being paid. I'll have the money for that on the 18th, so they'll be up in a couple of weeks.

That really does seem like the best plan. I could probably get away with it for about the price of new power locks from the dealer.

Edit: I'll even wait to get the power doors re-keyed and just keep these the way they are, that way I can sell these with the factory key that came with them.

Last edited by JeepmanJim; 02-04-2015 at 10:10 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Rock God

sounds like a good plan... black is usually a easy color to sell .. so should make things easier..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode