Sub Enclosure - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sub Enclosure

Okay I used the search and didn't find what I was looking for. I'm planning on getting a custom sub box installed in the next couple of weeks and am looking for some ideas. So post up some pics of what you have and tell me how you like it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 03-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcologne25 View Post
Okay I used the search and didn't find what I was looking for. I'm planning on getting a custom sub box installed in the next couple of weeks and am looking for some ideas. So post up some pics of what you have and tell me how you like it...
i only have the factory sub in the JK, but i had a custom box for both my YJs that held two 10s. i imagine the jk would be pretty similar. the subs faced downward and the top of the box went to about the top edge of the tailgate. there was about a 1 inch lip on the bottom of the box so the subs weren't sittin on the floor. forget how much it cost me, but ive been contemplating doing the same for the JK. the best part was i bolted the box down and since the subs fired downward, they were pretty much theft proof as long as the tailgate was locked (even with the top off). they sounded great and i loved the setup

edit: sorry if i didnt make it clear but the box fit between the back seat and the tailgate (YJ-so remember 2 door). didnt interfere with the backseat at all.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Last edited by pizzaman; 03-01-2010 at 04:05 PM.
post #3 of 48 Old 03-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Granite Guru

i have two 8" JBL in my sound bar. ehhh not so hot. i am going to port them and see if it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 03-03-2010, 04:33 AM
Wheeler

I have 1 12" sub in a prebuilt enclosure. go with a sealed box to use less space. Mine is only 1 square foot and lots of base.
post #5 of 48 Old 03-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
There are tons of pre-built boxes out there but I would opt for a box designed by the manufacturer specifically for your particular sub woofer. If the manufacturer recommends a sealed enclosure with a specific volume then adhere to those specs religiously. You can play with the dimensions to achieve a more friendly footprint but you should always target what the manufacturer recommends for volume and tuning.

Having said that you're going to be hard pressed to build a manufacturer recommended box that doesn't eat up your cargo area unless you opt for the fairly new shallow mount subs that don't require a lot of volume. Pioneer, Kicker and JL Audio have some highly regarded products in this category that will allow you to build a box with less then one cubic feet volume requirements. This small volume requirement will help in designing a box that compliments your cargo area and doesn't dominate it.

When it comes to any sub woofer enclosure I feel it's important to heed the recommendations of the manufacturer. Quality sub woofer performance depends upon the proper enclosure volume, the proper material, the proper material thickness and if the box is ported, the proper port length and diameter. The following web page is a great resource to determine the dimensions of an enclosure while adhering to the manufacturer's enclosure recommendations.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#rec

For sealed enclosures just go to the "Volume Calculator - Rectangular Enclosures" section; enter your material thickness and the dimensions you're thinking about and get an instant volume measurement. If the volume is off then adjust the dimensions until you hit the target volume figure. There are also calculators on this page for ported enclosures that allow for port length and diameter when figuring out your box dimensions.

It's also important to take into consideration the volume displacement of the woofer itself. If the manufacturer recommends a one cubic foot enclosure and that is exactly what you build then the volume of the box is slightly smaller due to the volume of the woofer. To account for the displacement volume of the woofer just add the value to the enclosure volume for a new target volume.

I.E.
Enclosure volume + Woofer Displacement = NEW Target Volume

I.E.
1 cu ft (Enclosure volume) + .05 cu ft (Woofer Displacement) = 1.05 cu ft (NEW Target Volume)

Use the "NEW Target Volume" value when using the calculators on the above link. So... when playing with the calculators I would aim for 1.05 cubic feet instead of 1 cubic foot.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #6 of 48 Old 03-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Rock God

Another thing that must be done is properly securing the enclosure to the body of the vehicle in case of a collision. I think of it this way; if I were to lay down on the ground would I let the object in question be dropped on my head? If the answer is no then the object in question MUST be safely secured to the vehicle so it doesn't become a deadly projectile in the event of a collision or rollover. The last thing you want is to survive a collision but have your enclosure bash your brains in.

If you have the ability to mock up something like the following schematics I would recommend it so you can be absolutely positive the enclosure size and footprint meet your particular requirements.

Here is a drawing I created in Adobe Illustrator to figure out how the manufacturer recommended enclosure for a JL Audio 13TW5-3 will sit in the Unlimited cargo area. As you can see the enclosure blocks the cargo cubby and won't work while sitting in the OEM subwoofer location. I can move the enclosure to a different location in the cargo area or modify the box dimensions so this doesn't happen.

In the following schematic I moved and rotated the subwoofer which allows for unobstructed use of the cubby. However, there is a ton of wasted space in between the seat back and front of the enclosure. This wasted space could be better utilized so a new enclosure design must be created.

The following schematic shows an enclosure with an angled baffle to make better use of the wasted space. This allows the entire enclosure to be moved forward resulting in more usable cargo space.

BARK AT THE MOON!

Last edited by MaloCS; 03-03-2010 at 01:37 PM.
post #7 of 48 Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Rock God

And this is what I decided on...

BARK AT THE MOON!
post #8 of 48 Old 03-03-2010, 08:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Heres what i ended up doing

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #9 of 48 Old 03-04-2010, 03:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

There was one quite a while back that was done under the back seat. Awesome work and fantastic writeup. It's well worth the time to dig for it. I think it was titled stereo install or something, nothing about subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube
Once upon a time grown men didn't act like assholes for no reason nor get butt-hurt by complete strangers.

Then the internet was born.
post #10 of 48 Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 AM
Rock God

Just another option...
2dr's have no room so here is the space saving way and believe it or not it
hits like a mother f'cker!
Way better than the Kicker box it came in.

5/8 MDF, Poly fill, 4 self tapping screws, left over carpet laying around the garage.
400 watt Cantus (bridged to 800), and a 10" Kicker (shallow mount) CompVT.

Last edited by ZOSO-Green; 03-05-2010 at 01:47 AM.
post #11 of 48 Old 03-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post

Damn Sonic you used the good wood and everything. lol Do you have more pics? Also is your design easy to take out if you need to haul something larger?

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #12 of 48 Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Dropped the jeep off at the audio shop today. I'm getting 4 jbl 12's in a down firing box and 2 1000 watt amps....It's gunna hit HARD!
post #13 of 48 Old 03-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Dropped the jeep off at the audio shop today. I'm getting 4 jbl 12's in a down firing box and 2 1000 watt amps....It's gunna hit HARD!
Guess you don't haul much stuff in the back of your JK. lol What's the rest of your system like?

For my money the best looking install of a sub enclosure was done by Calypson. I'm not sure if he's a member here, but over there he posted up some pics of the custom one he built that attached to the tailgate.
post #14 of 48 Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sonic, Did you do anything to secure your box? Or does it tend to move around? I'm getting ready to build my box and I know it's going to be similar to yours, just a little taller and bigger since I'm going with 12's and 6x9's. I'm trying to figure out a good method to secure the box to the cage.

If anyone needs some amps, then let me know. I'm always buying stuff and before I even get it installed, I change my mind of how I want to configure my system and I end up buying new stuff.

I currently have

(1) JBL P80.4 (4 channel 320Watt amp)
(1) JBL P180.2 (2 channel 360Watt amp)
(1) JBL BP300.1 (300 Watt sub amp)

I'm probably going to put these up on eBay in the next couple of weeks. I bought them, took them out of their boxes, threw the boxes away, and they sat there where I eventually changed my mind where I decided to go with a 3 amp install, instead of the 4 amps I originally planned on. The amps still even have the protective logo stickers on then, to prevent the JBL logo from getting scratched. So I bought an Infinity Kappa(1) an, Infinity Kappa (4) and I'm keeping one of the JBL P180.2's that I originally bought. I'm thinking that I will have an easier time, trying to find space to mount 3 amps on my sub box more than I was going to have with 4.

PM me if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-10-2010 at 10:50 AM.
post #15 of 48 Old 03-10-2010, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I picked the Jeep up this morning. They said that a down-firing box would loose alot of performance so it fires towards the back. The box is about as high as the rear seat and comes out about a foot anda half. It has four 1000 watt jbl 12's and two 1000 watt alpine amps. It Fucking Smacks!!! It hurts to sit in the back seat. And the best part of it all is I didnt loose that much cargo space...
post #16 of 48 Old 03-10-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Okay ill post some In a bit I'm at work
post #17 of 48 Old 03-10-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOSO-Green View Post
Just another option...
2dr's have no room so here is the space saving way and believe it or not it
hits like a mother f'cker!
Way better than the Kicker box it came in.

5/8 MDF, Poly fill, 4 self tapping screws, left over carpet laying around the garage.
400 watt Cantus (bridged to 800), and a 10" Kicker (shallow mount) CompVT.

How did you make your enclosure? DO you have a DIY?
post #18 of 48 Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Pics or it never happened.
x2

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #19 of 48 Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I picked the Jeep up this morning. They said that a down-firing box would loose alot of performance so it fires towards the back. The box is about as high as the rear seat and comes out about a foot anda half. It has four 1000 watt jbl 12's and two 1000 watt alpine amps. It Fucking Smacks!!! It hurts to sit in the back seat. And the best part of it all is I didnt loose that much cargo space...
pics please...i need to add a sub to mine...

Just got my sub and box installed.. 500 Watt Alpine amp and 10" Alpine S Series sub. Does a nice job... I'll post some pics later.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.

Last edited by 07unlimitedx; 04-23-2010 at 11:28 PM.
post #20 of 48 Old 04-10-2010, 11:25 PM

2x kicker l5 solobaric in custom box 1500 watts w/ security deck

too loud even with the top down on the highway

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-255-1...enclosure.aspx

http://www.supercrewsound.com/

http://www.kicker.com/solo-baric_L5

http://www.kicker.com/zx_amplifiers

Last edited by SuperDave; 04-10-2010 at 11:59 PM.
post #21 of 48 Old 04-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Garage

I will be doing the JL Audio Stealth Box..

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1610

Don't let the price tag trick you out of buying.. go down to your JL Audio Dealer and speak with them and get it for much MUCH less than the ridiculous $800.00 suggested retail.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #22 of 48 Old 04-10-2010, 11:48 PM

post #23 of 48 Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Sonic, Did you do anything to secure your box? Or does it tend to move around? I'm getting ready to build my box and I know it's going to be similar to yours, just a little taller and bigger since I'm going with 12's and 6x9's. I'm trying to figure out a good method to secure the box to the cage.
Probably too late here but yes, mine has 2 1/8 inch thick steel straps bent to fit around it like a glove.
It bolts to the rear seat mount in the front and through 2 drilled holes in the rear.
I already had one system stolen, it wont happen again lol.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #24 of 48 Old 04-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Probably too late here but yes, mine has 2 1/8 inch thick steel straps bent to fit around it like a glove.
It bolts to the rear seat mount in the front and through 2 drilled holes in the rear.
I already had one system stolen, it wont happen again lol.
If it's not too hard, can you take a pic and post it? I'm still working on my box...I'm waiting on some 4 AWG wiring to come in, so I can finish wiring it. So I still have some time before I put it inside my JK. I am concerned about theft....God knows, I've worked hard enough on this box and would hate to see it get stolen after all that work. I would like to see some ideas on mounting for theft prevention and also for safety, in case of an accident.

Thanks
post #25 of 48 Old 04-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brashanic View Post
i have two 8" JBL in my sound bar. ehhh not so hot. i am going to port them and see if it helps.

How did you get 8" in your sound bar? Pics?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Prosperity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode