power inverter question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-27-2010, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

power inverter question

for those of you with power inverters installed, what are they rated at? I am having some trouble deciding just how many watts would be overkill for a jeep.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Rock God

I've got several, but none installed on the jeep, just one 750 watt on my off-road trailer, why would you want one INSTALLED on your jeep ???

JIMBO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #3 of 14 Old 02-27-2010, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I have seen a few people mount them in the jeep, like under the seat or somewhere hidden, and run the outlets to the center console or wherever else they wanted. I wouldnt mind doing this to have power for lights or tools on the trails. Or maybe even blenders and the such when "camping". I imagine some of the same reason you wanted one for your offroad trailer... I just dont have a trailer.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Rock God

Heh Heh, I can digit, I think you just need to decide how big and where to put it, for wiring size and HEAT, usually 750/1000 watts inverters are from &75 to &150 bucks and will handle small current draws

Good luck

JIMBO

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #5 of 14 Old 02-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Rock God

I have a 1000 in my jeep to power my laptop and an X-Box simultaneously at the same it also charges my kids DS. Ive had a 750 in one of my vehicles and it wouldnt run a laptop x-box combo so i stepped up. you can usually pick up a 1K at a truckstop pretty cheap
post #6 of 14 Old 02-27-2010, 11:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Stuck a tiny 150watt under my glovebox and then ran wires to the switch & outlets that are installed in the center console. These are mainly for the occasional phone charger in case you don't have a car adapter but more often than not its for my Macbook Pro that has my GPS info. I'm planning on a 750-1000 watt for the cargo area as well.

/

post #7 of 14 Old 02-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post

Stuck a tiny 150watt under my glovebox and then ran wires to the switch & outlets that are installed in the center console. These are mainly for the occasional phone charger in case you don't have a car adapter but more often than not its for my Macbook Pro that has my GPS info. I'm planning on a 750-1000 watt for the cargo area as well.
Nice and clean!
post #8 of 14 Old 02-27-2010, 02:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here is the thread on my install of a 1500W Cobra inverter...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22405
post #9 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Banned

It really depends on what you're going to be powering with the inverter.

My laptop powers off one of those small 75watt inverters fine. I ran a PS2 and a laptop off of a 550Watt one plugged into a power port/cigarette lighter with no problems.

One thing to keep in mind, because the higher wattage you go, it will depend on where you plan to draw the power from. For example, the power ports will handle up to 20 Amps of current....if you consider the battery provides 14 volts when the engine is running, then that equates to 280 Watts of total available power. With the engine off, the battery voltage drops down to 12 volts....so that's 240 Watts of available power. You can't get more Watts out of the inverter, than what you put in to it. So if you get anything above 280 Watts, you will need to directly connect to the battery to be able to use all that available power.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-28-2010 at 12:12 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 06:57 AM
Rock God

Just be careful, most pwr outlets (cig ltrs), are fused at 10 amps and all male DC vehicle outlet plugs, have a 10 amp fuse internal !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
It really depends on what you're going to be powering with the inverter.

My laptop powers off one of those small 75watt inverters fine. I ran a PS2 and a laptop off of a 550Watt one plugged into a power port/cigarette lighter with no problems.

One thing to keep in mind, because the higher wattage you go, it will depend on where you plan to draw the power from. For example, the power ports will handle up to 20 Amps of current....if you consider the battery provides 14 volts when the engine is running, then that equates to 280 Watts of total available power. With the engine off, the battery voltage drops down to 12 volts....so that's 240 Watts of available power. You can't get more Watts out of the inverter, than what you put in to it. So if you get anything above 280 Watts, you will need to directly connect to the battery to be able to use all that available power.
JIMBO

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #11 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Wheeler

We have one a 1500w installed on the company truck which goes out and does our underground. Its just a Dodge 3/4 ton. Makes nice when using the porto. bandsaw and such. No ext. cord after ext. cord after......you get the idea.

I have also been planning one of these installs. I would want to be able to power my electric impact, and other tools/toys when the time is needed.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Granite Guru

Just a note on the cheaper inverters. They are mostly modified sine wave instead of pure sine way and some electronics and induction motors really hate modified sine wave. I picked up a 300/600 pure sine wave I will be installing my jeep when I am unburied with snow.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-02-2010, 05:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got a 400W (800W peak) marine grade wired up straight to battery (fused of course).

I've ran fans, lights, laptops, cell phones, drill... but it wont power anything with a heating element. It's been there for over a year. Been hosed down, etc. It keeps right on tickin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.

Last edited by scottrock; 03-02-2010 at 05:38 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Rock God

Got to figure what you are going to use it for. I have a 400w under the seat plugged into my power distribution box. It barely ran a small 1 gallon AC air compressor, but it works great for the laptop and such. I'm using the 400w mainly because im using a 30amp circuit to power it and didn't want to run a seperate power feed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode