Emergency lights when trying to signal... Electrical PROBLEM - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Emergency lights when trying to signal... Electrical PROBLEM

When I turn the left or right signal on my my emergency lights signal in the rear. The front works when I signal left but does not work when I signal right. I've been working on the jk all day trying to figure this out. In the end I disconnected the wires of EVERY aftermarket electrical think I did and it still didn't solve the problem.... Plz help!!

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Do you have a trailer harness?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Btw the right turn signal flashes twice as fast as the left

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
Do you have a trailer harness?
Yes... Never used it though

post #5 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegRock View Post
Yes... Never used it though
Pull the left tail light out and take the trailer harness out of the loop.

|
|
post #6 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Btw the right turn signal flashes twice as fast as the left
You might have a bulb burnt out

|
|
post #7 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Does the right front blink at all; It may be out?

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #8 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Pull the left tail light out and take the trailer harness out of the loop.
Manually pull EACH wire from the plugs?

post #9 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:24 PM
JKO Addict!

I just tried to re-read your first post. So when you turn the turn signals on either way both rear lights flash but the right front light doesn't work at all? And when you turn the right signals on the front doesnt work and the rear right rear light or both rear lights flash fast?

|
|
post #10 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Manually pull EACH wire from the plugs?
No, the trailer harness is looped into the wiring on the left tail light. I was saying to pull it out of the loop to eliminate potential problems.

|
|
post #11 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I think your right... One bulb is out... Going to the store now to see if that will solve the issue. Can't see why everything would go crazy due to a bad bulb but we'll see in 15 min if it solves the issue

post #12 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I think your right... One bulb is out... Going to the store now to see if that will solve the issue. Can't see why everything would go crazy due to a bad bulb but we'll see in 15 min if it solves the issue
if the filament wire falls onto the other filament inside the bulb it can cause crazy things to happen.

|
|
post #13 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Not the bulb it one side on the front does not flash when I turn on signals or e-lights.... But it worked when I turned on the headlights. I took apart my left taillight... There are two plugs I disconnected both plugs and reinserted them but that didn't solve the issue. The wiring for the tow harness is part of both plugs so the only way to disengage the tow harness and keep everything else engaged is to cut the wires from the tow harness

post #14 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Damn... Maybe it is the bulb. The right front bulb flashed but the left front didn't in any configuration. When headlights are turned on both bulbs worked. Switched bulrushes location and the same BULB that didn't flash still didn't flash... So it seems that it's not the wiring causing the bulb not to flash but the bulb itself. Never seen a buld illuminate when headlights are on but not flash.... Going to the damn store

post #15 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Damn... Maybe it is the bulb. The right front bulb flashed but the left front didn't in any configuration. When headlights are turned on both bulbs worked. Switched bulrushes location and the same BULB that didn't flash still didn't flash... So it seems that it's not the wiring causing the bulb not to flash but the bulb itself. Never seen a buld illuminate when headlights are on but not flash.... Going to the damn store
The bulb has two filaments in it one for running lights and one for turn signal or if its in the tail light it will be running light and the other for turn signal and brake light

|
|
post #16 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 07:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Not the bulb it one side on the front does not flash when I turn on signals or e-lights.... But it worked when I turned on the headlights. I took apart my left taillight... There are two plugs I disconnected both plugs and reinserted them but that didn't solve the issue. The wiring for the tow harness is part of both plugs so the only way to disengage the tow harness and keep everything else engaged is to cut the wires from the tow harness
eh don't worry about it, I think we found your problem. I was just trying to eliminate potential problems since I don't have your jeep in front of me

|
|
post #17 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Fuck me!!!! Back from the store. Replaced both front bulbs. The front signals are working CORRECTLY now. The rears are not. When I signal in any direction BOTH of the rear signals turn on. Emeregency lights are working correctly. The lights flash continuosly in the same time intervals in any configuration now.

post #18 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 08:28 PM
JKO Addict!

What electrical stuff did you have wired and where did you have it wired to

|
|
post #19 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
What electrical stuff did you have wired and where did you have it wired to
Abs kill switch
locker mod
kc headlights directly to battery
rock lights directly to battery
cb radio to battery
after fender trim I wired little "titty" light to the sidemarkers
aev procal
finishlinewest west bumper rewired third brake light and license plate light

I think that's it. I disconnected everything from my battery, disconnected my titty lights, disconnected the wiring to the third brake light and license plate light

post #20 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Just set procal back to stock and have no dtc codes. Did not solve the issue

post #21 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 08:48 PM
JKO Addict!

OK, when you tied the third brake light in where did you do that at? The only place the left and right turn signal wires are close enough to each other to have been shorted together are on the left taillight. That is why I was trying to get you to disconnect the trailer harness. You could have pinched it while installing the bumper. You could have another problem not related to the wiring but from the sounds of your first post it seems like you feel like you might have done something. Try looking over all the areas you have been recently, even if the wire loom isn't cut doesn't mean the wires inside didn't get pinched. Is your trailer harness factory? Do you have a 7 pin? If you unplug both connectors on the left tail light you will find the two will go together in a different way, the factory trailer harness is looped in. I wish I had a picture but I don't even have stock taillights any more to show you.

|
|
post #22 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 09:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Don't take my post the wrong way. I know you're frustrated because electrical stuff frustrates the hell out of me. I'm asking this because I really do want to know. Why do you call your hazard lights emergency lights? I'm assuming that is the what you are talking about (all four turn signals flashing at once to signal that your vehicle is a hazard). I may have missed something and you really do have emergency lights installed (red and/or blue flashing lights used in combination with a siren).
post #23 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
Don't take my post the wrong way. I know you're frustrated because electrical stuff frustrates the hell out of me. I'm asking this because I really do want to know. Why do you call your hazard lights emergency lights? I'm assuming that is the what you are talking about (all four turn signals flashing at once to signal that your vehicle is a hazard). I may have missed something and you really do have emergency lights installed (red and/or blue flashing lights used in combination with a siren).
R u kidding?... Ok.... I'm sorry, hazard lights!

post #24 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Alright after 5 hours of trying I gave up for tonight. To solve this I disconnected ALL my aftermarket electric mods by cutting the wires and taping them. I put in new front lights. I disconnected the battery. I disconnected the brake harness at the pedal (brake light was on when harness was disconnected, turn signals did not work). I gave up for today.

*** I noticed a new issue. When I press my brake pedal the brake light turns on but during this time niether turn signals work in the rear. So the turn signals cannot work in the rear with the brake lights on. They do work with the headlights on.

post #25 of 34 Old 02-26-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Btw... Bodyguy deserves a medal for being so helpful. I owe you a ton of beers if we ever meet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode