CB's: Which one and where to mount? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 01-17-2015, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
CB's: Which one and where to mount?

just like the title says, which CB is everyone running and where did you mount it inside your Jeep?

2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- 3.5" Rubicon Express lift /w 1.25" BL
- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-17-2015, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

back in my younger days I ran larger CB's like the Connex 3300 and Tristar 240's. I also ran bigger full size trucks so places to mount them were no problem. now with my JKUR, space is limited and i'm rethinking about buying a larger CB due to space limitations. however I want one that will hold up to some abuse and still talk good.

i'm really not interested in mounting them in my center console or glove box because I use these spaces for other items. mounting overhead seems like it would be more of a nuisance and more of a pain to hide coaxes and wires. i'm thinking of somewhere on the dash or under the dash.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #3 of 34 Old 01-17-2015, 02:10 AM
Rock God

Cobra 75 WX ST

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 01-17-2015, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

also I forgot to ask, where is everyone mounting their antenna and what kind of antenna are you running?

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #5 of 34 Old 01-17-2015, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I just ordered a Uniden Bearcat 980SSB. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a CB so I picked up this one for just under $125 on Ebay. from what I found on it, it had great reviews and had all the features I wanted like a built in SWR meter, side bands, large display, etc. I didn't order an antenna and antenna mount/base yet. not sure where i'm going to mount it yet so I held off on that.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #6 of 34 Old 01-17-2015, 04:36 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I have a cobra 29 lx mounted to the top of the speaker bar. I dont' run a hard top so it fits. Run a 4 foot firestik off of the top of rock hard tire carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 34 Old 01-17-2015, 09:35 AM
Granite Guru

None of them work great. I would spend around $100.00 from one of the two top manufactures(Cobra, Uniden) and call it good. As for the mounting location the smaller the unit the easer to mount. Mine is overhead on the cage. Another option if your group is willing is FM radios the work much better, the down side is they will not work with regular CBs..
post #8 of 34 Old 01-18-2015, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
I have a cobra 29 lx mounted to the top of the speaker bar. I dont' run a hard top so it fits. Run a 4 foot firestik off of the top of rock hard tire carrier.
got a picture of where you mounted that firestick? I run a hard top so my options are kind of limited.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #9 of 34 Old 01-18-2015, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doormandan View Post
None of them work great. I would spend around $100.00 from one of the two top manufactures(Cobra, Uniden) and call it good. As for the mounting location the smaller the unit the easer to mount. Mine is overhead on the cage. Another option if your group is willing is FM radios the work much better, the down side is they will not work with regular CBs..
in my truck I use to run a peaked Connex 3300 with a 500 watt Palomar linear and a 9ft steel whip. I could talk to Texas and California just about anytime and when conditions were right and the "skip" was good I could talk to Germany. just not enough room in my Jeep to run that kind of set up again.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #10 of 34 Old 01-18-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

i'm thinking about running a 4ft Firestick because I don't want my Jeep beat up by a steel whip. just not sure where I want to mount it where it's out of the way. i'm running a Smittybilt XRC rear bumper with the rear tire carrier.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #11 of 34 Old 01-18-2015, 12:53 AM
JKO Addict!

It is not worth spending too much money or brain cycles on a CB.

After being unsatisfied with the output of a midland 75-822, I went for something more powerful. The 822 and the cobra handheld are not a full 4 watts but more like a .6 measured. At least,the midland is.

I wanted it to mount above the rear view so picked up the rugged ridge bracket from Amazon prime. Works great for something small.

Tried a cobra 29 in that location. No go. Don't try. Too large. Ended up with a bare bones uniden 510 from Amazon prime which fits perfectly and has only the features I need and none that I dont. The 510 and 520 s are well made little units, the 505 is plasticy and feels cheap. I measured 5 watts with my 510.

Also picked up an upgraded mic for a good price on prime as well. A static 636L. The ones that come with the 510/520 are smallish.

Antenna wise, call fire stick. They will have no problem giving you the low down and talking your ear off. The two best locations on a jeep tub for an antenna according to them are above a tail light and above the top of the tail gate/tub or to the side of the hood.

I had their thinner antenna, the 3ft firefly but went to the thicker FS2 and got it in a 4 ft. My SWR barely moves now. The old setup with the 822 and the firefly saw 1.2 on a good day. On the way home from my lat wheeling trip, I was chatting it up with a pilot in a small aircraft somewhere above and ahead of me. He had flown out of Livermore airport. Cb antennas on planes point down, interestingly and reception is awesome.

Im am pleased with this very clear sounding, powerful and compact unit. I Plan to get a ham license and do a remote mount ham rig as well so that's another reason I went compact.

The issue I also have with the portables is that the displays are hard to see and buttons hard to use while driving. The other thing about the smaller cobra and midland units is the internal speakers. The 510 has a larger, easier to hear speaker.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 01-18-2015 at 01:21 AM.
post #12 of 34 Old 01-18-2015, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

so today I ordered a Poison Spider cb antenna mount, 4' Firestik, heavy duty Firestik spring and 18' of coax. the Poison Spider antenna mount I ordered is the one that mounts to the upper right bolts from the factory spare tire carrier. I am hoping there will be enough space between my tailgate and my XRC tire carrier for the antenna and spring once mounted. my only other issue will be finding a way to route the coax from that location to the radio. not sure if I want to drill a hole in the rear of my tub or just run it under the tub towards the front and bring it up through a pre existing hole and into the cab. drilling a hole means drilling a BIG hole to get the coax screw on end through and i'm not too keen on that.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #13 of 34 Old 01-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Wheeler

Out of the way, Clean install

Name:  CB.jpg
Views: 2725
Size:  69.2 KB
post #14 of 34 Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Rock God

Garage

I've never thought of mounting it there. Clever use for some Adel clamps. I think with my hardtop it would interfere with the latch though.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #15 of 34 Old 01-26-2015, 09:57 AM
Granite Guru

little cobra 19 ultra iii, small, works well as a trail cb for under $40.

generic external speaker

i made my own mount for the antenna behind the license plate. not an ideal location for a antenna but it keeps it from smacking my garage door
post #16 of 34 Old 01-26-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

i'm now considering console mounts due to the limited space. I would rather not put my CB in my console but it would be out of the way in there. I would have to run an external speaker outside of the console but that shouldn't be a big deal. does anyone have any pictures of this console set up? like how you did your wiring and how you ran your coax?

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #17 of 34 Old 01-26-2015, 05:18 PM
Rock God

Either of you Cobra 19 guys using the PA function?
post #18 of 34 Old 01-26-2015, 05:53 PM
Granite Guru

Not using my PA function but ive considered it. Could be useful to holler on the PA to get a group ready to start moving on the trail, or just yell random stuff at people on the street.
post #19 of 34 Old 01-26-2015, 06:35 PM
Rock God

I gotta find a speaker and a place for it under the hood...they seem to run a bit large.
post #20 of 34 Old 01-26-2015, 06:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoCop View Post
my only other issue will be finding a way to route the coax from that location to the radio. not sure if I want to drill a hole in the rear of my tub or just run it under the tub towards the front and bring it up through a pre existing hole and into the cab. drilling a hole means drilling a BIG hole to get the coax screw on end through and i'm not too keen on that.
Few things:

1) there are coax connectors available which have a smaller core that threads into the larger PL259 style connector. This makes it easier to feed through smaller holes. Check with FireStik and Ham Radio Outlet (HamRadio.com) for those.

2) Soldering your own connectors on eliminates the issue of getting a connector through a hole. If the coax fits through, you're golden.

3) you don't need to drill any holes to wire an antenna on the tailgate (or above the right tail light, for that matter). If you use the typical small dia. CB coax, you can feed it right through the same grommet where the wires for the CHMSL exit the tailgate. Route your coax through the tailgate, exiting inside that ~3" wide horizontal plastic cover. Run it along the inside of that cover and into the right-hand side of the tub, right along with the factory harness. You can then run it under the carpet and to wherever you decide you want to mount the radio. Just be sure you don't coil any excess coax. Let it lay as straight as possible. Coils create an electrical impedance and can affect your power out (and thus your SWR).

@OP, my CB (at the moment) is a Midland 75-822 on a 4' FireStik. I have not had the power output issues that White13JKUR mentioned, but I will agree with his assessment on the controls. It is not "mounted" because I do not use it that often. I just pull it out of the console for a trail ride and put it away when I'm done.

If/when I upgrade, unless something I like better becomes available, I'll likely go to the Uniden Bearcat 980SSB that CamoCop is using. Mounting is up in the air at this point, but with the Poison Spyder roll cage, there are lots of options.

I won't be mounting it over the mirror (although I think that's a good choice) because, 1) at the moment my Yaesu FT857D control head is mounted there, 2) at some point I'll be adding an sPod, so the switches will have to go there. At that point the Yaesu head will come down to the dash bar for the roll cage.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 01-26-2015 at 06:57 PM.
post #21 of 34 Old 01-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Wheeler

I know you said you didn't want to use the glovebox, but the way I have mine, if I wanted to I could still cut in and access door to store items under the CB. I just chose not to since I replaced the lost space with dual under-seat gun lockers. As for the antenna, I'm toying with two different locations right now. I did a hidden wire mount on the front side of my license plate holder, but I'm leaning towards the 6" x 18" steel plate I bent and drilled to bolt directly to the CHMSL.

If you can't save the world, keep both hands on the camera.

Last edited by Mal-adjusted; 01-26-2015 at 07:19 PM.
post #22 of 34 Old 01-26-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLW1022 View Post
Out of the way, Clean install

Attachment 193625
I like this idea but I run a hard top and my CB is larger than this one.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #23 of 34 Old 01-26-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Few things:

1) there are coax connectors available which have a smaller core that threads into the larger PL259 style connector. This makes it easier to feed through smaller holes. Check with FireStik and Ham Radio Outlet (HamRadio.com) for those.

2) Soldering your own connectors on eliminates the issue of getting a connector through a hole. If the coax fits through, you're golden.

3) you don't need to drill any holes to wire an antenna on the tailgate (or above the right tail light, for that matter). If you use the typical small dia. CB coax, you can feed it right through the same grommet where the wires for the CHMSL exit the tailgate. Route your coax through the tailgate, exiting inside that ~3" wide horizontal plastic cover. Run it along the inside of that cover and into the right-hand side of the tub, right along with the factory harness. You can then run it under the carpet and to wherever you decide you want to mount the radio. Just be sure you don't coil any excess coax. Let it lay as straight as possible. Coils create an electrical impedance and can affect your power out (and thus your SWR).

@OP, my CB (at the moment) is a Midland 75-822 on a 4' FireStik. I have not had the power output issues that White13JKUR mentioned, but I will agree with his assessment on the controls. It is not "mounted" because I do not use it that often. I just pull it out of the console for a trail ride and put it away when I'm done.

If/when I upgrade, unless something I like better becomes available, I'll likely go to the Uniden Bearcat 980SSB that CamoCop is using. Mounting is up in the air at this point, but with the Poison Spyder roll cage, there are lots of options.

I won't be mounting it over the mirror (although I think that's a good choice) because, 1) at the moment my Yaesu FT857D control head is mounted there, 2) at some point I'll be adding an sPod, so the switches will have to go there. At that point the Yaesu head will come down to the dash bar for the roll cage.
thanks for the tips. i'm not good at soldering so i'm not sure I want to go that route. I did plan on running my coax under my carpet. I did not know that coiling the excess would effect my unit. I ordered an 18 foot coax because I wasn't sure how I was going to route it so i'm sure I will have excess. I guess I can route it a longer way around to use as much coax as I can to keep it from over lapping.

I will be using my CB frequently so I definitely want it permanently mounted within my Jeep. the problem comes from limited space. I always have my wife and 2 children with me so I need it mounted out of the way. I was kind of thinking about mounting it under the dash under my steering wheel since I have plenty of leg room but I was recently told my stock sub woofer amp was mounted directly behind the dash there. I don't want to risk putting a screw through it so that ruined that idea.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #24 of 34 Old 01-26-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

my other concern was with my chosen antenna mount (Poison Spider tailgate mount). i'm hoping it will get a good enough ground on my tailgate to prevent excessive SWR's. I guess if I have to I can run a second ground wire from the mount to the tub or frame somewhere.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #25 of 34 Old 01-27-2015, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

has anyone used the Rugged Ridge CB mount? it puts your CB overhead like TLW1022 has his. however it looks like you can still use your hard top because it does not fasten to the piece that the hard top locks too. i'm just wondering if it would securely hold the Uniden Bear Cat 980ssb that I have. it uses your CB's mounting bracket so I know it would mount up. i'm just wondering about the weight of my CB. all the pictures I have found of CB's using this mount have been of the smaller versions. my Bear Cat is of the medium sized CB's.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode