JK LED Fog Bulbs anyone? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-16-2015, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JK LED Fog Bulbs anyone?

So I finally got around to installing my LED fog bulbs I ordered.

One clip snaps in, the other won't not matter how hard I push (also just an FYI for anyone removing their stock bulbs, it sucks, horrible bulb clip design)

And the harness won't click in either, but either way because its such a tight fit I'm wondering if it will even move. Drove it around for the day, they haven't moved and still work fine.

Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-16-2015, 08:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Not sure which ones you have. I have a cheapie set I got off of e-bay (Samsung LED's I think), anyway the issue I ran into is that base of the light where the rubber seal is was just a smidge larger than the stock halogen bulb a few thousandths. I ended up sliding the rubber seal off and using a fine file to shave and work working it around the circumference of the grove the rubber seal seats in until I managed to get it down to the point I needed it.

Fun times... Hopefully that is the issue you're having and this fix works for you. Oh and yeah, the reverse engineered clips are real flimsy compared with the OEM and quality aftermarket halogen bulbs from what I've seen with my current LED fog bulbs and a different set I got from China.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Wheeler

Depending upon the bulb style; the base has alignment tabs that vary between the bases. When I installed the H16/9009 36W yellow bulbs in the factory fog light housings I needed to trim one of the alignment tabs and they work great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-24-2015, 03:55 PM
JKO Addict!

I did a little bit of that as well on the LED fog bulbs, though I can't say it was really needed. It was only after I did that, that I realized what the real problem was, the base of the bulb was just a "little" to big to fit into the socket. I'd lean toward this being the case with most of the non-standard imported bulbs but that would require someone miking (is that how that is spelled?) it out and comparing it to a stock bulb.

Some pic's comparing a stock halogen to a Samsung LED bulb off of eBay.

Stock:

LED (Note I had already trimmed tabs and filed off much of the base of the light already.):

Stock (Base of light where rubber o-ring is):

LED (Base of light where rubber o-ring is):

Stock (Channel that rubber o-ring sits in with o-ring removed.):

LED (Channel that rubber o-ring sits in with o-ring removed.):

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Rock God

I had the same problem with that sort.

I went around the groove with my Dremel & a cutting wheel to make it deeper.

I didn't have any problems with the plug & socket, just getting the little bastards in & clipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode