New CB...I am at my wits end. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-16-2015, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

New CB...I am at my wits end.

RESOLVED!!!

Good morning!

So in preparation for tomorrows trail ride, I ordered a Cobra 75 and installed it on my Jeep.

The "Base" is mounted under my glove box, power straight to battery, and grounded to a common vehicle ground in the passenger wheel well. The box is zipped to the metal bracket below the glove box. Interesting to note...I can disconnect the ground wire and the CB will still power up, so the box may be grounding itself due to where I have mounted it.

The Antenna is mounted to the back tire carrier, and the mount itself is grounded to the vehicle by running a ground from mount, through the door, and terminating to the chassis. I have checked continuity from antenna to shield (no) and then from shield to chassis (yes). The antenna is a 3' Firefly by Firestik.

Wiring the SWR meter between box and antenna cable, I put the box in FWD, Channel 1, key the mike and set. Power is right at 2.2W and when I flip the switch to test, SWR reads 3.5ish. It is the same on ANY channel i select, and at any adjustment I make on the tuning screw on the antenna. I can even flat out remove the antenna and pull the same measurement! I have no idea what is going on.

Help!!!

2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Kenwood - Focal - JL...The rest is STOCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cjsparky; 01-16-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

http://www.4x4xplor.com/cb.html

may help? sounds like you have a bad location for the antennae grounding....or maybe both cb and antennae grounding point. I used the radio ground within the cab up under the dash ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-16-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

RESOLVED!

I knew I wasn't crazy. Went to buy a new SWR meter.

Channel 1

Channel 14 - yes the mike is keyed

Channel 22

Channel 40

PHEW!!!

2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Kenwood - Focal - JL...The rest is STOCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-22-2015, 11:17 PM

Where did you end up hanging the mic?
post #5 of 9 Old 01-24-2015, 10:16 PM
Rock God

Garage
Thumbs up Nice

Nice Job.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-25-2015, 12:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Yeah, I hate it when the test equipment is bad/unreliable. Looks good now though. Good job.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #7 of 9 Old 02-08-2015, 07:49 AM
Wheeler

I installed a Cobra 29 LX in my 2 door 2015 yesterday using the rugged ridge cb mount and rugged ridge spare tire carrier antenna mount. I had a problem with SWR at first, but it ended up being an adapter on the back of my CB. I bought a RG-8X 15 feet cable with a PL259 connector (typical CB) and a male BNC connector. The BNC end is for quick disconnecting the CB. At the CB I had a BNC male to female 90* adapter. On the CB I had a PL259 to female BNC. It ended up that the cheap BNC right angle adapter was making horrible contact. After removing the right angle I got similar SWR to what you are measuring on the channels using an SWR meter.

By the way, my Cobra 29 LX has a built in SWR cal and meter. It agreed pretty well with the external inline SWR meter.

For those new to the lingo:

UHF connector:
PL-259 = male plug
SO-239 = female socket

BNC connectors are a coaxial quick connector:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNC_connector

I used a wire wheel to remove the powder coat on my antenna mount bracket at one of the mounting holes and where the ground/shield end of the firestick antenna mount made contact. I ran a 12 awg wire from the bracket, through the tailgate to the rear seat belt anchor bolt. I used large ring lugs and made sure the seat belt anchor nut had all of the black oxide cleaned off the bottom where it would make contact with the ring lug.

I ran my coax along through the taigate and along the roll cage inside the zippered covers to the windshield frame.I hid it under the plastic and routed it out at the footman's loop where the hard top latches.

I removed most of the dash panels to route the red 12V+ wire from my CB to the keyed 12V power outlet/cigarette lighter in the dash. I grounded the CB to one of the two torx screws holding the footman's loop and rugged ridge CB mount to the windshield frame.

I ended up using the spare tire carrier mount and a 3' (Actually 38") firestik so that I could pull my 2 door into a 7' tall garage door without contact other than the weather strip. It fits well.

post #8 of 9 Old 02-08-2015, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Does the cobra 29 interfere with the rear view? It did in my case so went with a smaller unit in that location. It hung too low, even when I spaced it up with some washers between the top of the rr mount and under the cb mount.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Wheeler

I had to shift the cobra mounting bracket towards the passenger side on the rugged ridge mount to prevent interference with sunshades. I have a no option rubicon, so my basic rear view mirror does not interfere with the cb. If you like the rear view mirror flipped upside down to get rid of the blind spot, this is not a good cb option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode