sub enclosure - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-15-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

sub enclosure

So I am planning on a head unit change, and want to add a sub at the same time. I am looking to keep as much room in the jeep as possible, so I am looking at a 8in sub. I want to know if there is a good sub enclosure I should just buy, or make a custom one?

Also want to go to single din head unit with a CB under it. I have seen a few threads that talk about this, but not much detail on part numbers.

Does anyone have details on the parts needed to go to standard double din size so I can put the CB under a single din head unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

I added a single DIN to my jeep with a tray under it, so I can't help you out with the DD/CB issue.

As far as a sub, I went with a 10" JL in their own box. It is a sealed box and is pretty small, but still hits nicely. I have packed up my JK and I just move the box up against the side to decrease the boxes footprint on the floor. Works well for me.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #3 of 9 Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 AM
Wheeler

I had a custom enclosure made...ironically it is mounted right where the 2014 and earlier subs were. I have a '15 but the oval Sub can not compete with my JL.

Mine was custom made with fiberglass, but it cost about 400 bucks to have them do it. The prefab boxes are way cheaper...

Check to see if Stealth box has something for the '15's yet...

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-ste...-jeep-wrangler

2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Kenwood - Focal - JL...The rest is STOCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

that low profile enclosure does look nice, but the price tag is a bit high. I haven't seen anyone selling the stock type sub enclosure for the JK, but I could use that with a different sub.

Looking for improved bass, but not spending a ton.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.cross View Post
that low profile enclosure does look nice, but the price tag is a bit high. I haven't seen anyone selling the stock type sub enclosure for the JK, but I could use that with a different sub.

Looking for improved bass, but not spending a ton.
This is what I have.
http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-CS110...eywords=jl+sub

I power it with this, bridged.
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga...productDetails

It thumps nicely, takes very little space vs. sound output. I have the amp mounted under the passenger side front seat. It takes a 10 gauge power/ground wire.

If you have a higher powered head unit, this sub and amp will compliment it well. I still wanted more power and used an alpine 45x4 (continuous power) amp for the components (front) and the co-axial (sound bar).

Can you tell I like to jam out?

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #6 of 9 Old 01-17-2015, 03:44 PM

I went with the Kicker Sub Stage and Sound Stage. The sub is a 10" solo and the box mounts to the child safety hooks in the rear/lower part of the back seat (install and remove in a few seconds). The amp was a 4 or 5 wire hook up and it sounds great. The Sound Stage just replaced the factory "premium" amp with a kicker "tubed" amp. Sounds like a custom system, and was a VERY easy install.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Granite Guru

Alpine makes a 8 sub enclosure with sub (SBR-S8-4). I have it mounted to my tailgate and powered by an Apline MRV-M500 under the rear seat. It makes for a nice sounding system without taking up a bunch of room.

2008 Rubicon
Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper w/Warn XD9000i
315/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx, No Lift
Superchips Flashpaq
Flow Daddy Headers
Gibson Dual Exhaust
post #8 of 9 Old 01-29-2015, 09:23 PM
Rock God

I work at a car audio shop in College Station TX and would be happy to help you out if you like. Just let me know what kind of money you are wanting to spend and I should be able to let you know about what you can pull off.

You don't have to go small sub anymore to have a small enclosure.

I would not recommend purchasing the factory enclosure and putting a different sub in it. Been there done that. Worked ok with a JL Audio W1 but did not do the woofer justice.

As for the CB/Radio gig, you will need to find a single din radio style CB. This is different from the standard CB you see all over the forums. Search and you will find.

Let me know. I am happy to help.

BKCDK642 - $29.95

Dash kit for the single din/CB you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Maybe they just corrected your ridiculous mistake. Who the fuck orders chrome anything?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-29-2015, 10:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Pioneer shallow mount 8"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode