Can 't get LED headlights to work - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-13-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Can 't get LED headlights to work

2007 Wrangler X

I bought Trucklite LED headlights 27270c with the anti flicker harness.

When I turn on the lights with the ignition in the off position (no key in it), the lights work fine. Once I start the jeep and the engine is running, the lights will come on for about 10-15 seconds the turn off completely for about 2 seconds then turn back on. It repeats this process a couple of times then finally turns off the headlights and they stay off. I have to disconnect and the reconnect the battery before something resets and goes through the same process again.

The factory headlights work fine. I have even tried wiring in a relay as suggested in this forum including a diode and capacitor. This does not work either. I would really like to use the factory headlight switch.

Does anyone have any ideas? Why does the canbus system turn off the headlights while the car is running?

Seems like my only optIon is to use a separate switch and relay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Wheeler

You will need to purchase a separate headlight harness which has the diode and capacitor inline so that the CanBus is not affected which allows the headlights to stay illuminated.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-13-2015, 10:08 PM
Rock God

Call Trucklight it shouldn't be that way .

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-14-2015, 12:32 AM
Rock God

FYI, the headlights get pure DC with the ignition off, and, as you are all aware, pulse width modulated DC with the engine running.

That has something to do with why the lights are OK with the ignition off.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #5 of 12 Old 01-14-2015, 09:50 AM

I'd recommend calling Truck-Lite, or maybe the vendor you bought the lights from. Something is definitely weird. I've had Truck-Lites in my JK, without the anti-flicker harness and they work fine.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Wheeler

I agree with the people above, I have run 4 different kinds of lights in my JK and now the newest trucklites and no problems, what your describing is the Canbus shutting power down to your lights, its seeing something out of range and killing power, you need to contact trucklite for a replacement pair of lights..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-14-2015, 03:40 PM
Rock God

funny my buddy has an 07 sahara too and is having a similar issue with his Quadtech led headlights. he sent one set back and the new set is acting strange too. If he turns his head lights on before he starts his jeep one stays on about 90% of the time and the other about 1/2 the time. If he starts his rig first they don't come on at all when he turns them on.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-14-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback.
I have talked to TruckLite. They think since the lights work with the ignition off then the lights are good. They think the vehicle is looking for something and isn't getting. Plus the fact that these lights have worked on other Jeeps.

I tend to agree with them. Even when I ran the lights off of a relay with the diode in the circuit for the relay trigger, the vehicle cuts voltage to the headlight circuit. I wired this relay per recommendations in this forum by using the existing headlight circuit to trigger the relay on. As I monitor the relay trigger with a multimeter, I can see the voltage drop to just about 0 volts for a couple of seconds then bounce back up. This only happens while the vehicle is running. I have the diode and capacitor in the circuit.

Does anyone know what the canbus system looks for? It must have some diagnostics that needs to be satisfied in order to keep power to the headlights. Is there some repair manual out there that explains the circuitry or troubleshooting tree the factory may use?
post #9 of 12 Old 01-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Wheeler

Same Problem with Mine

I had the exact same issue when I installed the TruckLites. I did everything I could to track down/correct the problem, including the harness kit from Susquehanna Motorsports, which did nothing for me. While the harness is great, and I do suggest it when upgrading your headlights, it won't fix the issue you're having (assuming itís the same one I have). The reason it won't fix it, at least in my case, is that you are using the original headlight circuit to close the relay that comes with the harness, but when the voltage on that circuit drops (0.2V in my case), it isn't enough to keep the relay closed (I seem to recall reading that 5-7V was required), so you end up with the same problem whether using the harness or not.

The issue, as far as I can tell, is with the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). If you search the forum, or Google or whatever, youíll get a ton of results where the TIPM causes quite a few problems on numerous systems. I cannot guarantee that this is what is wrong with yours, but it would be my first guess.

FYI Ė I havenít had any problems with mine other that the headlights, so I just decided to use the parking light to trigger the relay for my headlights, that way I can still use the factory switch.

If the above makes no sense whatsoever, itís because I have the flu and have no idea how many meds Iím on at the momentÖ If I need to clarify anything, just ask, Iíll do so when my head is no longer in the clouds.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-01-2017, 10:37 AM

LED Headlighgt Problems

Bought Quadrated LED Headlghts and when installed only one would come on. Ordered another set. Same Problem. Checked with my Jeep Dealer who said the TIPM (Totally Intergated Power Module) does not see enough current with the LED's and doesn't send voltage to what it perceives as a bad bulb. Called Jeep technical support who said I should use OEM bulbs only---DUH. I'm hearing that a resistor in the power lines, both high and low beams will fool the TIPM into thinking it has a normal bulb. Question is: does anyone know what size resistor I should put in the line to fool the TIPM? and does anyone make a harness with them already installed.

I just ordered JW Speaker LED's. I love the amount of light the LED's put down the road. Wish me luck.

Destin, Fl. Via Kwajalein MI
post #11 of 12 Old 01-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorjeep View Post
Thanks for all the feedback.
I have talked to TruckLite. They think since the lights work with the ignition off then the lights are good. They think the vehicle is looking for something and isn't getting. Plus the fact that these lights have worked on other Jeeps.

I tend to agree with them. Even when I ran the lights off of a relay with the diode in the circuit for the relay trigger, the vehicle cuts voltage to the headlight circuit. I wired this relay per recommendations in this forum by using the existing headlight circuit to trigger the relay on. As I monitor the relay trigger with a multimeter, I can see the voltage drop to just about 0 volts for a couple of seconds then bounce back up. This only happens while the vehicle is running. I have the diode and capacitor in the circuit.

Does anyone know what the canbus system looks for? It must have some diagnostics that needs to be satisfied in order to keep power to the headlights. Is there some repair manual out there that explains the circuitry or troubleshooting tree the factory may use?
I just talked to my mopar dealer last week about their new oem led head lamps he said once those are installed on 2016 and earlier you need to flash the pcm with the updated software. I know you shouldn't have to on trucklites if it has the anti flicker harness but in your situation it might not be a bad idea...

2010 jk 2dr 3.5 in lift synergy c/arms synergy high steer RPM fab tierod Dynatrac pro rock front 5:13s cooper stt 37s eaton e locker adv adapters rubicrawler adams driveshafts bilsteins. Bestop trektop pro poisen spyder tire carrier VKS stubby rear bumper VKS fab stubby front. Pure jeep sliders yaesu ftm400. Shit I forgot the rest... KK6WIT
post #12 of 12 Old 01-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Wheeler

I posted on another forum that after jeep added the 5SX sales code to my 2011 I no longer needed anti flicker things. This is the flash that was released when Mopar was selling rebadged JW speakers. This seems to be the flash that is being used by people installing 2017 headlights in 2016 and below. I also tried a relay harness using the stock headlight harness as a trigger. Worked fine engine off and engine on the relays just chattered. Tried putting an anti flicker harness in between the trigger and the relay harness. Made no difference. Harness did not work after 5SX flash either. So pwm not completely off it would seem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode