Easy Amp Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Easy Amp Install

Ive had my Unlimited Sahara with nav and inifinity system for about a week now and love it. The factory stereo wasn't to shabby, but was lacking some thump in my opinion. So this past weekend I did my first of many mods by adding an amp and sub. Ive done this in pretty much every vehicle I've owned but this is the first that I stuck with the stock head unit instead of going with an aftermarket one, no point in that after paying extra for the nav and extras, so i was a little nervous trepidatious at first but in the end this ended up being the easiest install id ever done. I didn't even need to take the head unit out. Jut the front panel.

I figured Id share what I did in case anyone else was interested. I forgot my camera at work so there are no pics but it was such a simple install you really don't need them. Below are the Jeep specific things I did, i wont get into telling you how to plug wires into your amp or connect an inline fuse etc...

Power From battery:
I simply ran the power wire from the battery over to the drivers side below the master cylinder there is a little black rubber circle you can poke threw with a screw driver and feed the wired through. From there i just ran the wire under the plastic panels along the side and door sills. You can pretty much just push the wire under with your fingers no need to take apart the interior. I ran it all the way to the back tucking it under the carpet.

Remote Power wire:
Thanks to searching the forums I fond the easiest way to do this is to tap into the drivers side cig/accessory outlet. You do this bu pupping off the front cover and splicing into the wire. The hardest party was getting my big hand to feed the wire back through the dash through the access panel under the stearing wheel. Once you get past that just follow the power wire you installed.

RCAs/Line converter:
Seeing as how the stock head unit does not have out puts for the amp you will need a line converter, I picked mine up at bestbuy for 15 bucks. I was gonna run it from the headunit back but after taking the sub out i saw it had four wires connected to it so on a hunch i just tapped into them and it was like magic. No need to run another set of wires all the way through the jeep. it take a little playing with the wires to figure out which ones to attache where. different line converters will have different color wires i'm guessing so you will have to do a little playing yourself. After you get it right just tuck the converter (depending on its size) back under the carpet and your good to go.

I installed a 12" Kicker L5 Solo Baric and a Kicker 600.1 amp. I had to turn the amp all the way down or it was just too much bang, even now If i crank the stereo I set off car alarms and stop old peoples hearts. But the highs from the stock speakers go great with the new low end from the sub. In my last car i replaced every audio component and it didn't sound as good as this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I've got a JL 250 wt amp, just waiting to be installed. I may do it this way. I already have a JL sub hooked up to the OEM wires and it already sounds so much better than stock.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 11 Old 02-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by powers View Post
Ive had my Unlimited Sahara with nav and inifinity system for about a week now and love it. The factory stereo wasn't to shabby, but was lacking some thump in my opinion. So this past weekend I did my first of many mods by adding an amp and sub. Ive done this in pretty much every vehicle I've owned but this is the first that I stuck with the stock head unit instead of going with an aftermarket one, no point in that after paying extra for the nav and extras, so i was a little nervous trepidatious at first but in the end this ended up being the easiest install id ever done. I didn't even need to take the head unit out. Jut the front panel.

I figured Id share what I did in case anyone else was interested. I forgot my camera at work so there are no pics but it was such a simple install you really don't need them. Below are the Jeep specific things I did, i wont get into telling you how to plug wires into your amp or connect an inline fuse etc...

Power From battery:
I simply ran the power wire from the battery over to the drivers side below the master cylinder there is a little black rubber circle you can poke threw with a screw driver and feed the wired through. From there i just ran the wire under the plastic panels along the side and door sills. You can pretty much just push the wire under with your fingers no need to take apart the interior. I ran it all the way to the back tucking it under the carpet.

Remote Power wire:
Thanks to searching the forums I fond the easiest way to do this is to tap into the drivers side cig/accessory outlet. You do this bu pupping off the front cover and splicing into the wire. The hardest party was getting my big hand to feed the wire back through the dash through the access panel under the stearing wheel. Once you get past that just follow the power wire you installed.

RCAs/Line converter:
Seeing as how the stock head unit does not have out puts for the amp you will need a line converter, I picked mine up at bestbuy for 15 bucks. I was gonna run it from the headunit back but after taking the sub out i saw it had four wires connected to it so on a hunch i just tapped into them and it was like magic. No need to run another set of wires all the way through the jeep. it take a little playing with the wires to figure out which ones to attache where. different line converters will have different color wires i'm guessing so you will have to do a little playing yourself. After you get it right just tuck the converter (depending on its size) back under the carpet and your good to go.

I installed a 12" Kicker L5 Solo Baric and a Kicker 600.1 amp. I had to turn the amp all the way down or it was just too much bang, even now If i crank the stereo I set off car alarms and stop old peoples hearts. But the highs from the stock speakers go great with the new low end from the sub. In my last car i replaced every audio component and it didn't sound as good as this.
Would love to see the pictures.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Banned

If you're just adding a sub woofer with an additional sub amp, this is probably the best way to do it. But if you're looking to add additional amps to power the other speakers in the vehicle, then this method will not work.

I just thought I'ld throw that tid bit out there, just in case it wasn't obvious to someone.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
If you're just adding a sub woofer with an additional sub amp, this is probably the best way to do it. But if you're looking to add additional amps to power the other speakers in the vehicle, then this method will not work.

I just thought I'ld throw that tid bit out there, just in case it wasn't obvious to someone.
Good Point. For that you'd probably be better off tapping in at the head unit with the line converter. Honestly unless your planning on competing in sound quality competitions or something I wouldn't see much need to upgrade the stock speakers with this system. It already hurts my ears if i crank it.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-25-2010, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10kingsnake View Post
Would love to see the pictures.
I'll see if i can get some shots this weekend and post them up.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Good Point. For that you'd probably be better off tapping in at the head unit with the line converter. Honestly unless your planning on competing in sound quality competitions or something I wouldn't see much need to upgrade the stock speakers with this system. It already hurts my ears if i crank it.
Actually, tapping into outputs of the head unit would not work either. When the Infinity amp is connected, the outputs from the head unit come out at a "fixed" level. In other words, when you make volume adjustments on the head unit, the output levels from the head unit do not adjust. All volume control adustments are done inside of the Infinity amp.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-28-2010, 06:45 PM

Where did you locate the amp?
post #9 of 11 Old 02-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvnwheel View Post
Where did you locate the amp?
the infinity amp is under the steering column.

fnord
post #10 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 02:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Powers,

This is was good thread to post. Many people probably wonder how to do a quick, low-frequency upgrade. An easy set of tips for installing a sub.

One thing I disagree with, is that although your stock speakers are plenty loud, "loud" doesn't define quality. The more "clean" power that you run to your speakers (regardless of how loud one chooses to listen), the better it will sound, due to reduced distortion levels. Adding a qualilty amp with plenty of headroom, with the gain turned way down, will ensure that you're running at "almost" 99% pure, undistorted sound (if tone controls are flat), and then I'll agree that the stock speakers will sound okay.

Those are my $0.02 for those interested in full system sound.

Having said all of this, your posting about the sub is very solid.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
post #11 of 11 Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Wheeler

Did this install disable your factory sub when ou spliced into the sub wires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode