Fog lights not working!? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-06-2015, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Fog lights not working!?

So I bought two small 18 watt led fog lights for the bottom of my windshield I connected it to a harness I got I then cut the switch that was connected to the harness off because I already had bought the rugged ridge pillar pod and rugged ridge switch I then connected all the wires to the switch and when I turn it on the light on the switch comes on but the fog lights don't and the yellow wire that connected to one of the switches male connectors gets realt hot and melts the rubber coating on the wire but on when I flip the switch any help? I'm guessing my gauge of wire is to small and that is why the wire gets hot but why wouldn't my led fog lights turn on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Granite Guru

When you say that the wire gets very hot - It sounds like you have a short in the circuit somewhere or some of the wires on backwards. Double check that you have the right wires into the right spot on the switch.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

What AWG (gauge) wire are you using? If it's to small, your are overloading the wire. Also, those switches are 3 pole - make sure you wire ground, accessory (light color) and load (led light, etc) to the correct poles of the switch. alligator clips are nice because you can clip it all together to test before wiring it up. I'd suggest larger AWG wire and test to make sure it's wired correctly.

LOD Rock Sliders, PSC rear bumper w/tire carrier and Brawler lite front bumper w/stinger, GenRight Alum Fenders, XRC 10 winch w/Viking Synthetic Line, RI 10" E-Series light, 4 D2 lights, 2 SR-M series, ARB front/rear air lockers, ARB compressor, Rock Krawler 3.5" MTS w/Blistein 5100 shocks 35" BFG KM2's on M/T Side Bitter Rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-06-2015, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I am going to check tomorrow to see what awg it is and how do I know when one of the prongs on the switch is ground it doesn't tell me which one? And does anyone recommend a certain harness to use?
post #5 of 10 Old 01-07-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So I put the old switch on its a push on push off button that was originally attached to the harness to check my wireing and everything work nothing gets hot but when I connect it to my rocker switch it gets hot
post #6 of 10 Old 01-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Granite Guru

Basically, the way you have the wires going into your rocker switch is shorting your positive lead to the ground. Try swapping the wires around.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Google the switch you use. There should be a gold colored prong and 2 silver ones. The one that is furtherest from the others is the ground. The other 2 is for the switch power and the power to the accessory (light, winch, etc whatever accessory it's tied to). If you have alligator clips (which i recommend for testing) place your 2 positive wires on each other pole and see what happens. If the switch is off position but the light for it lights, you need to reverse the 2 wires. Hope this helps. I'd also still look at increasing your AWG.

LOD Rock Sliders, PSC rear bumper w/tire carrier and Brawler lite front bumper w/stinger, GenRight Alum Fenders, XRC 10 winch w/Viking Synthetic Line, RI 10" E-Series light, 4 D2 lights, 2 SR-M series, ARB front/rear air lockers, ARB compressor, Rock Krawler 3.5" MTS w/Blistein 5100 shocks 35" BFG KM2's on M/T Side Bitter Rims
post #8 of 10 Old 01-07-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey thanks everyone finally got them working I was putting them on the prongs and needed thicker wire. The only problem is that the light on the rocker switch is always on anyone know how to change that? I just don't want them on when the engine is off
post #9 of 10 Old 01-07-2015, 06:38 PM
Wheeler

Determine the gauge wiring needed by finding out what the wattage rating of the lights are, dividing that number by 12V which will give you the amp draw of the circuit. 100W / 12V = 8.33A
This means that the gauge wiring for that circuit would need to be 14 gauge to be safe.
As for wiring the toggle switch.... most quality switches have a small schematic on the back or some sort of identification as to what wire to connect to that terminal. You can use a VOM to measure continuity between the terminals to determine which terminals are ground, the light bulb power/outgoing power and which is the 12V power source. Zero resistance between the leads would indicate the light bulb power/outgoing power to 12V power source and resistance measured between the leads would indicate light bulb power to ground. These measurements are with the switch ON.
Hope this help you....
post #10 of 10 Old 01-09-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It's all working but I'm still having the problem with the light constantly on my battery light on my dash actually just came on as well so if anyone knows how to shut the lift off when car is not on please let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode