LED Lightbulb question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-21-2014, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

LED Lightbulb question

I am having a bit of an issue with my LED lights I am hoping this forum could shed some light on.

Purchased some 7" projector headlamp housings (h4) with H4 LED bulbs from a brand called SMD. Worked fine, and LOVE the look and the output. Only issue was the high beams flickered constantly, but not the low beam. Finally, the drivers side light went out all together.

Replaced the LED ballast under warranty, worked fine again. A few weeks later, went out again, and replaced the ballast AGAIN under warranty but this time with the addition of a Truck-Lite anti-flicker harness. No flicker at all, high beams or low beams.

Tonight, the drivers side started to flicker like crazy, then went out AGAIN entirely. *BUT* the high beams still function with a slight driver side flicker.

What am I doing wrong? I would have thought the addition of the anti-flicker harness would cure the problem. Any help or ideas would be great.

Vehicle is a 2012 JK.

Thanks!

- Paul

Last edited by phmizban; 12-21-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

What, exactly, is an "LED ballast?" LED's do not need high voltage, they work fine at native 12V without a ballast. In fact, they work fine at 3-6VDC; higher voltages typically need to be reduced to avoid over driving and frying the device.

Not sure exactly what you've got. Maybe HID projectors with an LED halo? Maybe LED's with some kind of weird conversion harness? But the description of the problem sounds like there's a relay involved and that the CANBUS PWM is causing that relay to chatter. So although the relay might be good for a million activations, the chatter is using up hundreds of those activations every minute the lights are on. Or maybe you've got HID's and the PWM is causing some kind of problem with the ballast.

Or maybe you bought a cheap piece of no-name foreign junk from a company that has no engineering or quality control, and this is the best that can be expected.

I'm a JKO Reject

Last edited by BumpInTheRoad; 12-22-2014 at 12:13 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-22-2014, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
re:LED Lightbulb question

BINGO! , BumpInTheRoad......you nailed it via guesstimattion of the QA of a questionable brand.....
next time, describe parts; got LED halos (silly; to each their own -I respect your right to be silly)? Say,"I've gotten LED Halo's surrounding my Chinese [email protected] projectors that I dont even know if they are supported on my year JK" and you'll get A LOT further on help 'round here....

the reference page alone for the correct bulb is insane off that eBay site ....identify the part after identifying the Jeep year and model first, mate.

it's harsh, but ya get what ya pay for. Plus, BumpInTheRoad is right; the flicker isnt fully the LEDs 'angel eyes' unless you're just plugging those in w/out any relay/proper resistor inline and frying them; i question the entire setup as being a mis mosh of bad quality junk you ordered cause it was inexpensive? .
Look at Truck light, JWSpeaker or Quadratec even has a decent (Anzio designed) led lights; if you want projectors, why not get THOSE working correctly before trying to add those god forsaken 'angel eyes' simultaneously?
not meant to be disrespectful; you just gave sketchy details .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-22-2014, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The parts I have are a simple 7" round housing, no led's or halos etc. I have a LED (not an HID) H4 bulb plugged into them. (similar to the ones by Lifetime Led, etc). When I say ballast, excuse my lack of what to call it, it is the small box that goes between the bulb itself and the vehicle plug. This may definitely a "you get what you pay for scenario" since the bulbs and "little black box" are from said chinese brand. Just wondering if it may be something else or anyone had any recommendations. Dont want to go the TruckLite or JWS route, just want a simple plug and play LED bulb setup that will not flicker.

Thanks guys
post #5 of 7 Old 12-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Wheeler

Wassup Bump!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phmizban View Post
The parts I have are a simple 7" round housing, no led's or halos etc. I have a LED (not an HID) H4 bulb plugged into them. (similar to the ones by Lifetime Led, etc). When I say ballast, excuse my lack of what to call it, it is the small box that goes between the bulb itself and the vehicle plug. This may definitely a "you get what you pay for scenario" since the bulbs and "little black box" are from said chinese brand. Just wondering if it may be something else or anyone had any recommendations. Dont want to go the TruckLite or JWS route, just want a simple plug and play LED bulb setup that will not flicker.

Thanks guys
Technically it's a driver, not a ballast, but that doesn't really address the underlying issue. If you're stuff is capable of running without flickering condition (I say this because you might want to go direct to the battery to ensure the stuff works before spending money on the following) it will be with a proper harness direct to battery with a relay switched off of the stock H13 connector.

This ought to do ya:

http://www.rallylights.com/all/elect...gler-2007.html

You'll get clean non-PWM current, H13 to H4 connectors, works with your switchgear and it doesn't really get better than that for your application. Plus, you can go to any LED in the future (Truck-Lite, JW Speaker, etc.) with zero flickering issues.

Rick

Last edited by kobbs_77; 12-22-2014 at 11:59 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

what kobbs_77 said sounds like the right path to take...
post #7 of 7 Old 12-24-2014, 01:56 PM
Granite Guru

Do you have a link for the housing and lens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode