IPF headlights (review) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

IPF headlights (review)

First let me state that grammer wasn't my best subject so please bare with my post.

I purchased the new IPF headlight because I heard they were amazing from another site. Customer service was excellent.

I received them in the mail on a Sunday I was shocked how fast they came.
I opened the box and unwrapped the lights and noticed they seem very well made.(Glass and Metal)

The install was very easy, I removed the grill, removed the 4 torx screws, took out the old lights, hooked up the new harness, then put everything back together.(I would've posted pictures but installing is too easy)

I was excited to try them out when it became dark out. Once it got dark out I decided to make a run to 711 for Dip. I was fairly impressed but not what I was hoping for. The blue bulbs they gave aren't very good, but the beam pattern is very good. I just ordered Philips Xtreme lights 2 nights ago to see if they improve visibility.

Tonight I was driving into work with the roads being wet and could barely notice any light. I think that has something to do with the blue bulbs I've heard blue light gets drowned out in the moist air. Whether that is true are not I don't know.

Overall, I believe I will be happy with them once I upgrade the bulbs. I will update my review once I install them. They are definately better then stock.

White 2012 Sahara, Switchblade rear bumper, 5 35" mud grapplers sitting in my spare bedroom waiting on my lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 08:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have the same and they are of great quality and better lighting than the delta headlights. They're brighter and whiter! IMO

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Rock God

Are these a plug and play? Or did you have an H4 wiring harness in place? All the aftermarket headlight replacements I'm seeing out there use H4... and I don't feel like replacing my wiring at this point.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Are these a plug and play? Or did you have an H4 wiring harness in place? All the aftermarket headlight replacements I'm seeing out there use H4... and I don't feel like replacing my wiring at this point.
Stock/H4 harness, plug and play.

post #5 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i dont care for the blue tint... i plan on buying a different bulb in the near future. i also have a condensation issue in my passenger side, gonna throw a couple of those moisture packets to remedy that.

the above is most likely irrelevant.
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, abendx is my hero, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK, JKO
post #6 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Wheeler

I have the Philips Xtreme Power bulbs in mine and they have no blue tint at all. I put those bulbs in from the start. Seem pretty good.
I just have to adjust the height of my lights since I installed a lift and 35" tires.
post #7 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Granite Guru

Quick question. What is the best way to remove the POS plastic grill fasteners? Thanks.
post #8 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 10:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Needle nose plier, flat screwdriver

post #9 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
Needle nose plier, flat screwdriver
Gotta be something better than that....
post #10 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 11:11 AM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthibodeaux View Post
Gotta be something better than that....
Hand twist a drywall screw into the center top that looks like a philips head and pull straight up. Use any flat blade to pop up the other half.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
post #11 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Rock God

On the 08 and up model years there is a slot in teh side of the plug. Just take a flat head screw driver and you can pry up the center, and then just grab the outer edge and you can get the whole thing.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #12 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Rock God

Quote:
to remove the POS plastic grill fasteners
Those things are a total BITCH!!!! I've never had such trouble with a plastic fastener in my life. I just tore them out with a set of pliers...no saving mine, though.
post #13 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagrmaister View Post
Those things are a total BITCH!!!! I've never had such trouble with a plastic fastener in my life. I just tore them out with a set of pliers...no saving mine, though.
Once they are out... I dont really see a point in re-inserting the center peice (screw). The outer piece will hold the grill in place just fine.

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #14 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Stock/H4 harness, plug and play.
Err I'm confused (it seems to happen often)...

The JK use's an H13 light. If this is an H4 light, then the harness would have had to be replaced at some point... Or is there some sort of conversion from H13 to H4?

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #15 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Rock God

Pictures of the light they produce?

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
2010 Jeep JK Sport 2dr/6spd/3.73's

Go visit
...and tell your friends!
post #16 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Err I'm confused (it seems to happen often)...

The JK use's an H13 light. If this is an H4 light, then the harness would have had to be replaced at some point... Or is there some sort of conversion from H13 to H4?
No, no, no! If you order the lights, they come with a harness, at one end you plug into the stock H13 connector and the other end plugs into the H4 bulb, There is no modification to the wiring. PLUG 'N PLAY..

post #17 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
Hand twist a drywall screw into the center top that looks like a philips head and pull straight up. Use any flat blade to pop up the other half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
On the 08 and up model years there is a slot in teh side of the plug. Just take a flat head screw driver and you can pry up the center, and then just grab the outer edge and you can get the whole thing.
Thanks guys. This helps.
post #18 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 01:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfJK View Post
Pictures of the light they produce?
I'll post some after 5 pm central.

post #19 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Rock God

Quote:
No, no, no! If you order the lights, they come with a harness, at one end you plug into the stock H13 connector and the other end plugs into the H4 bulb, There is no modification to the wiring. PLUG 'N PLAY..
Ah gotcha... See I was just confused...

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #20 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 02:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Ah gotcha... See I was just confused...
No problem, Compadre!

post #21 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 06:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hope this helps

post #22 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pinch View Post
I have the Philips Xtreme Power bulbs in mine and they have no blue tint at all.
are the bulbs themselves clear? where did you purchase them?

the above is most likely irrelevant.
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, abendx is my hero, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK, JKO
post #23 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

i ordered on ebay $60 i'm still waiting for them

White 2012 Sahara, Switchblade rear bumper, 5 35" mud grapplers sitting in my spare bedroom waiting on my lift.
post #24 of 39 Old 02-16-2010, 09:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunkhead22 View Post
I was excited to try them out when it became dark out. Once it got dark out I decided to make a run to 711 for Dip. I was fairly impressed but not what I was hoping for. The blue bulbs they gave aren't very good, but the beam pattern is very good. I just ordered Philips Xtreme lights 2 nights ago to see if they improve visibility.

Tonight I was driving into work with the roads being wet and could barely notice any light. I think that has something to do with the blue bulbs I've heard blue light gets drowned out in the moist air. Whether that is true are not I don't know.

Overall, I believe I will be happy with them once I upgrade the bulbs. I will update my review once I install them. They are definately better then stock.
anyone else see a problem with this? you order new lights and right away have to upgrade them to like them? I'd send them back and do the David stern upgrade. How much are they anyhow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #25 of 39 Old 02-17-2010, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Good point Tkob, but I only paid $160 for them. I wouldn't expect bulbs I'd rather not receive bulbs and save $10. If they look great when I put the philips in the housing I would have paid double what I did. Like I said the light shines the entire road unlike stock but I think the blue bulb is resticting. I spent at least $300 on HID for my jeep only to have bulbs die or a stupid pulse. I just wanna see dammit

Last edited by lunkhead22; 02-17-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode