Spots with High Beams? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-14-2010, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Spots with High Beams?

wiring up my IPFs today. There is a fused cable that is supposed to splice into the hi beam (I am guessing this shuts the IPFs off if I flip the hi beams on) any adverse results if I leave this out? I'd like to be able to roll highs and IPFs at the same time. Thanks

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Granite Guru

Err...that doesn't sound right

You should have fused cable for the main power that should run directly to your battery, and a smaller unfused cable that switches the relay.

The smaller cable is normally spliced into the high beam so that the spots and hi-beams come on together - ie power to the high beam circuit activates the relay, which then in turn activates the spots.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz View Post
Err...that doesn't sound right

You should have fused cable for the main power that should run directly to your battery, and a smaller unfused cable that switches the relay.

The smaller cable is normally spliced into the high beam so that the spots and hi-beams come on together - ie power to the high beam circuit activates the relay, which then in turn activates the spots.
I agree wih you that the smaller cable is used to trigger the lights on with the high beam circuit. But on my KC Daylighter harness there is a small (1.5 or 3 Amp - I can't remember) fuse on the trigger line.

Regards, Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-14-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

both lines are fused. The one going to the batt and the one running tho the headlight

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #5 of 14 Old 02-14-2010, 05:43 PM
JKO Addict!

You don't have to power the lights that way. I just wired mine up direct and have a on / off switch. Then I'm not splicing into my factory wiring.

Also, my spots are bright enough that even if I turn my high beams on,it doesn't really make a difference so I just run my lows with my fogs so I have a wider spread of light up close and then the spots reach out for long distance.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Wheeler

I ran the swiitch to relay off high beams that way they come on with highbeams and go off on dim. Also upgraded driving lights to 100 watt bulbs REALLY made a BIG difference in how well can see .

2008 Unlimited X,38x15.5 x18 Mud Grapplers, 6sd,4.88's,4"Rough Country ,Quick disco,Cut fenders
On and On and On,
Is it really ever done?
post #7 of 14 Old 02-15-2010, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
You don't have to power the lights that way. I just wired mine up direct and have a on / off switch. Then I'm not splicing into my factory wiring.

Also, my spots are bright enough that even if I turn my high beams on,it doesn't really make a difference so I just run my lows with my fogs so I have a wider spread of light up close and then the spots reach out for long distance.
OK that was what I was looking for... thanks. I want to control all my lights when I want them.

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #8 of 14 Old 02-15-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

OK got everything wired up minus the fused wire that goes to the HIGH beam wire of the headlights and no worky so I am guessing that fused line is needed to provide poser to the spots switch.... now just gotta figure out which wire in the back of the headlight is the HIGH beam

EDIT: Just found this link and wired it straight to the batt + ON DEMAND lighting

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...adlight+wiring

2015 JKU Sport Virgin

Last edited by GreenAmphibious; 02-15-2010 at 01:14 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-16-2010, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

oh dayum with the 100watt bulbs these beyatches are bright! I was just looking for someone to cut me off this morning

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #10 of 14 Old 02-16-2010, 10:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
oh dayum with the 100watt bulbs these beyatches are bright! I was just looking for someone to cut me off this morning
I like the douchers who refuse to dim their lights. Then I turn on my spots...
post #11 of 14 Old 02-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

i love when people cut me off, ill give them a flash of 130 watts

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
post #12 of 14 Old 02-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
OK got everything wired up minus the fused wire that goes to the HIGH beam wire of the headlights and no worky so I am guessing that fused line is needed to provide poser to the spots switch.... now just gotta figure out which wire in the back of the headlight is the HIGH beam

EDIT: Just found this link and wired it straight to the batt + ON DEMAND lighting

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...adlight+wiring
I would like to do the same thing. Do I just strip off the casing of the yellow wire on my 968's (the wire that is suppose to connect to the high beam wire) and rap it around the + terminal a couple times?

Last edited by jeepRcreepR; 02-20-2010 at 08:46 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-21-2010, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepRcreepR View Post
I would like to do the same thing. Do I just strip off the casing of the yellow wire on my 968's (the wire that is suppose to connect to the high beam wire) and rap it around the + terminal a couple times?

I crimped a wire eye to the end and attached it to the + bolt before the post. Same spost I added my CB and winch I see yo uare in bradenton. If you need help bring the chit on over (I am in carrollwood) and I'll help ya out. CB/lights/winch.... got it all mapped out now. I alos have all the little shit needed to get it done.

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #14 of 14 Old 02-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I crimped a wire eye to the end and attached it to the + bolt before the post. Same spost I added my CB and winch I see yo uare in bradenton. If you need help bring the chit on over (I am in carrollwood) and I'll help ya out. CB/lights/winch.... got it all mapped out now. I alos have all the little shit needed to get it done.
I have some friends in Carrolwood. That's not a bad drive, I'll have to keep that in mind. Thank you for the offer. After looking at my battery and what was hooked to it, I figured I needed to get a wire eye. My friend and I did the wiring after we got the rack on the jeep. On the first try they came on using the (+) terminal. I have some picks i'll post to the Wildboar rack thread. Now I just have to wait for my new lens to come in for the one IPF light that was shattered and another set of light tabs that never came and I'll have all 4 lights put on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode