Dealership fried my Mygig RER ....sorta - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 02-08-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Dealership fried my Mygig RER ....sorta

Warning long post...with venting...
Ok I have had a issue with my MYgig RER since I purchased the Jeep. It started with the simple audio controls and sound disappearing problem. Instead of updating the old software that was on the unit they decided to replace the unit..whatever... it's their call and money. So they ordered a new unit, installed it and then could not get the DVD to play. So instead of asking or researching they decided to order another unit. After this one they called Chrysler support ..the dealership said Chrysler Support told them to try a software flash for the VSS, they did it and still no video. So Chrysler told them to keep ordering radios until they got one that works. After 7 radios I had had enough, over ten trips to the dealership for this. Of course a couple of times they had my dash apart they inadvertently messed up my AC/temp controls so had to take it back in again. Anyway, I told them to figure out what was wrong with the Jeep, stop swapping radios, and poof two days later Lucky Radio #7 dies. No power, no nothing, you could hear the hard drive running, but could not get the radio or anything else to show on the screen.
Chrysler engineering support called them back and said that the flash they did on my Jeep was not for my Jeep and by flashing my jeep they had permanently disabled the VSS communications to the mygig so the the nav and dvd would never work properly regardless of how many radios they swapped.
So Chrysler decided to opt out so to speak. They wanted to know what I wanted them to do! They were researching all options at this point. Anything from buying an aftermarket radio, to lockpick, or possibly re purchase of the Jeep. I told them I liked the Jeep and if they could get me an aftermarket radio similar to the Mygig I would go for it. They said that legally the lockpick was out of the question even though it would probably work and would be the cheapest option.
So I researched and basically came up with two to three options, from $1600.00 to $2100.00. This included a double din radio, touchscreen, navigation, dvd, Sat, and some type of music storage device as most of the aftermarket radios have give up on hard drives in leu of USB connections for jump drives/ IPODS etc.
They went the cheapest route of course, and cut me a check for $1600.00, VOIDED ALL WARRANTIES ON ANYTHING REGARDING THE RADIO, AND THEN TOLD ME TO BRING THE MYGIG BACK TO THEM AFTER I HAD IT SWAPPED OUT!
I paid for that mygig, that they warrantied and could not get to work like it should have from the factory. They broke my Jeep with a software flash that it never should have got, they bought me a new aftermarket system for 1600.00 in order to replace and get the radio system working the way it was originally sold to me in, and expect me to bring the mygig back to them...what is wrong with this picture? Is it just me or does that mygig radio not belong to me any more?
Now today I had the Kenwoood DNX 6140 installed, and so far, so good but it is not as user friendly as the Mygig, it does however do some things better. It has Garmin Nav which I like better than the Mygig. Now what should I do with the mygig? Does it belong to them or me? I have nothing in writing from the dealership except for the check that I signed which says it is for replacement of a defective part.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited 4D Silver, 4" Superlift
35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, Summit Racing 15" wheels
Smittybilt XRC front bumper with XRC8 Syn

96 XJ, 8"lift, 36" Swampers, 8.8 detroit rear, lots of other mods

Last edited by hambone303; 02-08-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

mods...maybe this should be moved to dirty laundry instead of electrical tech..sorry

post #3 of 17 Old 02-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone303 View Post
Chrysler engineering support called them back and said that the flash they did on my Jeep was not for my Jeep and by flashing my jeep they had permanently disabled the VSS communications to the mygig so the the nav and dvd would never work properly regardless of how many radios they swapped.
So the software that drives the VES and all the Mygig options is not onboard the RER unit?

Something smells off here. How can this be? The software version and all data that controls the unit are on the Mygig drive for god's sake. ... not in the BCM or anywhere else. Did the dealer redundantly flash the same program 7 times?

'10 Surf 2Door Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-Vid Flexin' Muscle

6.2 liter Motec Ls swapped 2011 Jku with Rock Jock 60, Dynatrac rcv Pr44, and usual other beef on 37" MTR's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Did the dealer redundantly flash the same program 7 times?
No, as far as I know they only flashed once..And as far as where the stuff is located I do not know. I am only going by what the dealership has told me as I have zero knowledge on the internals of the RER. They kept referring to the VSS cluster as being the item that is permanently damaged. I have posted over on MOFV.com as well and still do not understand completely what happened. I tried to contact Steve at Harman Becker and he has not returned my call or Email as of yet.

post #5 of 17 Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmanTim View Post
So the software that drives the VES and all the Mygig options is not onboard the RER unit?

Something smells off here. How can this be? The software version and all data that controls the unit are on the Mygig drive for god's sake. ... not in the BCM or anywhere else. Did the dealer redundantly flash the same program 7 times?
Also, don't most aftermarket nav systems complain if they don't get the speed signal, since they need it just as much as the OEM one does?
post #6 of 17 Old 02-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Granite Guru

The MyGig is theirs. They cut you a check to buy a new radio, you sadly don't get to keep the one that's in there. Think of it as them just swapping in a new MyGig. Did you get to keep the 7 they pulled out before this last one? Hopefully, the new system you put in will be great, but they compensated you for the radio. You got screwed on the time you lost though, but hopefully you won't have to make any more trips to the dealer for the issue.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-08-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavitron View Post
Also, don't most aftermarket nav systems complain if they don't get the speed signal, since they need it just as much as the OEM one does?
I am not sure about getting the signal from the Jeep. Today they ripped out the nav antenna, and Hands free mic, installed the new radio with a canbus adapter harness and everything works perfectly. They left the sat antenna fro the sirius in place. The speed indication on the GPS and the speedO on the Jeep are off by approx 5 MPH as expected by my tire gear combos over stock.
I am not sure of the inner workings of the Mygig or what the aftermarket radio needs from the Jeep, All I know is it wasnt working yesterday and is today...

post #8 of 17 Old 02-08-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
The MyGig is theirs. They cut you a check to buy a new radio, you sadly don't get to keep the one that's in there. Think of it as them just swapping in a new MyGig. Did you get to keep the 7 they pulled out before this last one? Hopefully, the new system you put in will be great, but they compensated you for the radio. You got screwed on the time you lost though, but hopefully you won't have to make any more trips to the dealer for the issue.
yeah I was kind of thinking that this was the case but it sure does not feel very good. The problem is the way I understand it from them, is that the radio is not the problem, the vss cluster is the problem. Why wouldn't they just replace whatever that is? (The VSS cluster)
But then I think of it like...What if you come over to watch the game, get mad and throw a beer bottle at my flat screen and scratch it, you pay me for the damage, now does that mean the flat screen is yours, or is the money for the damage that you caused, and mine to use as I wish. Whether it is replace the flat screen or live with the scratch and buy more beer for next week. It shouldn't matter to you, you only paid for the damage caused???

Last edited by hambone303; 02-09-2010 at 12:10 AM.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
The speed indication on the GPS and the speedO on the Jeep are off by approx 5 MPH
if the nav is showing the same (incorrect) speed as your speedometer, it's getting the VSS. GPS-only speed calculations should, (theoretically,) be precise regardless of tire size.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavitron View Post
if the nav is showing the same (incorrect) speed as your speedometer, it's getting the VSS. GPS-only speed calculations should, (theoretically,) be precise regardless of tire size.
nope the nav and speedO are different. The speedO is off (low) by 5 MPH according to other calculations and by the new GPS radio. I should have been a little clearer..Sorry

post #11 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Wow Hambone, I forgot that the Canbus does share info from the Vehicle Speed Sensor for just movement purposes and wonder if the RER also uses the compass heading as a check and balance. I assume it gets a signal from the PCM looking for clutch engagement or when moved from the park position hence the need for lockpick.

Odd that with the latest replacement that included the CanBus connection that all is well.

'10 Surf 2Door Rubicon

'01
<-Vid Flexin' Muscle

6.2 liter Motec Ls swapped 2011 Jku with Rock Jock 60, Dynatrac rcv Pr44, and usual other beef on 37" MTR's.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
nope the nav and speedO are different. The speedO is off (low) by 5 MPH according to other calculations and by the new GPS radio. I should have been a little clearer..Sorry
Yeah, i understand now. Most mid to high-end aftermarket nav systems use the onboard speed signal to better calibrate the GPS signal.

Taken from http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8EdlqZN...n_install.html
Quote:
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
In addition to the standard power and ground leads, navigation systems connect to a vehicle's Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) wire. Your vehicle's cruise control uses the VSS wire to determine the vehicle's speed — it serves the same function for the navigation system. The VSS wire sends a series of pulses (from 800 to just over 1,000 per mile) only when the vehicle is in motion. If the VSS wire is not hooked up, the navigation system will not realize that the car is moving at all, and will be unable to track position.
If your jeep is really not sending vss to the nav, they have some fixing to do. Maybe they just made it up as an excuse for their incompetence?
post #13 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
If they damaged the VSS cluster, then that's what they should have replaced......not the radio.

To use your own analogy, that's like your friends came over, destroyed the cable connection to your TV and then bought you a new TV with rabbit ear antenna connection, while your cable connection is still sitting there all messed up.

You might want to check if you have cruise control, to see if that still works. The VSS is the Vehicle Speed Sensor. Usually other devices sometimes need Speed information to function properly besides the radio. The cruise control is one off the top of my head that I can think of. If this happened to me, Chrysler would be fixing the problem and not trying to buy me a different radio.
I like this answer Now that they have fried something permanently what they should do is replace that thing. Now give the mygig back.

Quote:
mods...maybe this should be moved to dirty laundry instead of electrical tech..sorry
Don't hold your breath for a mod to come along and move your thread, lol. This looks like a good place for it, but you have full control of YOUR thread. Thread tools above right

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Rock God

Question #1... Find out how much it would cost to buy a mygig from THAT dealership. If it's more then $1600, they should pay you the difference if they want the Mygig back. YOU paid that price (whatever it is at the dealer) for the MYgig and you got a $1600 radio instead. To be fair that is what I would do... And maybe get an extra $100 for the warranty you paid for that is not valid anymore.

#2 who installed the new radio? If you had it installed at another shop, they should pay you for that work.

If they gave you a check and you didn't sign any papers that you have to return the Mygig... The ball is in your court and you can do what you want. You honestly believed that they gave you a $1600 check and that's it, if you knew ahead of time that they wanted the Mygig back, then you may have chosen to get a new JK instead since that was a better monetery option.

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #15 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

aftermarket nav units do use vss and the canbus adapter has a vss wire in it so they might have hooked it up, my pioneer d3 has the vss hooked to it but i never looked to see if it matched my speedo which it shouldnt, it should be correct as its not calibrated to my tire size, it uses the vss and nav antenna to cacluated speed

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #16 of 17 Old 02-09-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I have not checked the cruise control since all of this started. I will tomorrow, I also will check on the price of a RER mygig from their parts department. I honestly believe that they just did not know what to do anymore. I told them that I could not believe that the aftermarket could figure out a bypass to their system and make it work, but their engineers who bought and own this system form Harman Becker could not figure it out?? I am expecting Chrysler Customer service to call me back this week and follow up with me, since the dealer has already cut me a check.
I still don't know if I should give them the radio back. I am losing all the way around here, I lost the mygig which I really liked, I got a replacement aftermarket radio with less warranty, and I paid for a warranty that is being voided because of their stupidity. I bought the hands free Mic kit from them which is noew useless to me, not to mention 7-10 afternoons spent at the dealership and a couple of whole days that I lost my vehicle for, and the trouble of shuttling the car there and back all of those days. The whole experience has really sucked for me. Thanks for all of your replies.

post #17 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Again, Thanks everyone for your input. I was hoping to get some info on how the thing works, and to guage my viewpoint of the situation against many others, all of which I have done with this thread. They said they would be in touch with me this week.
My argument to them is that I bought and paid for the mygig when I purchased the Jeep, it is not on loan until the warranty runs out, so therefore does not belong to them in any fashion. If you take your car to the dealership to be worked on, and they put a huge scratch in the hood. They owe you for the damages. You take the money from them, get your hood repaired or replaced and it is none of their concern. You could keep the money and do nothing and it is STILL none of their concern. You just lose the right to keep pursueing them to on the issue. There is no difference here to me..they damaged my VSS cluster instead of repairing /replacing the vss, so that the Nav and dvd would work properly on the mygig. They decided to pay me for the damages. End of story as far as I'm concerned.
I will let you guys know how this turns out when I speak with them. Thanks again to everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode