Is the laser fog light illegal ? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Send a message via MSN to stephenwang
Is the laser fog light illegal ?

Installed the LASER Fog light , Is this illegal?

Will the police stop me when driving ?
Attached Images

OKKO Lighting Tech Co.,Ltd
Professional on LED Light Bars,Single row,Dual Row.Cree Chips.LED Whips,LED Headlight Kits.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 04:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Is the laser fog light illegal ?

W.......T......F is that ?

Edit: that didn't look like a light source for the driver. What I'm reading .. It's purpose is to prevent rear collisions ?

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers

Last edited by kjeeper10; 11-24-2014 at 04:40 AM.
post #3 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Rock God

I'll second the W..........T..........F

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 10:59 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

http://www.okkolighting.com/index.ph...image&pID=2279

rear collision avoidance light... the attached brochure is in chinese, but since I am fluent in chinese it does read "legal in all 50 US states", so you should sell a ton !

and why start a thread pretending you installed it, whenyou are simpley trying to sell or advertise it ?

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #5 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 11:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Well at least he has a vender star

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #6 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Rock God

Question wrapped up in an advertisement.

I'll hold on the buy in
post #7 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Wheeler

Seems legit.

The Chinese writing at the bottom of the flyer states; "shark and deadmau5 soundtrack sold separately. Buyer is responsible for supplying soundsystem and food for shark. Most happiness for purchase you make."
post #8 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

I kind of like the idea. I seriously doubt the legality in most states, and the questiontisement. But, it could be useful. I have a set of LED floods mounted on top of the AEV tire carrier mast now that I turn on sometimes when visibility is low, but they could be a little blinding. This laser gizmo would be pretty visible, and hopefully without blinding any traffic approaching from the rear (or making them think an oncoming car is in their lane)

For $30 bucks I might give it a throw.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #9 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

my only concern is that if it is a laser, it could be considered a traffic hazzard on ice/wet surfaces

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #10 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 05:19 PM
Rock God

My question to the OP is: YOU are selling it. Shouldn't YOU know whether your product is legal?!

2008 JK Rubi on big tires and stuff, RIPP supercharger.
Various dents and scratches.
post #11 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 06:24 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #12 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Send a message via MSN to stephenwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
My question to the OP is: YOU are selling it. Shouldn't YOU know whether your product is legal?!
Yeah ,i am trying to sell them ,but i am not sure is it legal in US ?

So i need your guys suggestions.

OKKO Lighting Tech Co.,Ltd
Professional on LED Light Bars,Single row,Dual Row.Cree Chips.LED Whips,LED Headlight Kits.

post #13 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenwang View Post

I'm not at all sure how the overall majority opinion on an internet forum equates to any piece of mind in regards to proclamation of legality. There are other more accurate means of finding your answer.. as I'm sure you know.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #14 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 08:54 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenwang View Post

You're selling it, it's your job to know.

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Clayton 2.5" Overland Plus Lift, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, and more to come...
post #15 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

It's absolutely legal to SELL.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....

post #16 of 32 Old 11-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I'm not at all sure how the overall majority opinion on an internet forum equates to any piece of mind in regards to proclamation of legality. There are other more accurate means of finding your answer.. as I'm sure you know.
you can always ask a local officer.

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #17 of 32 Old 11-25-2014, 05:00 AM
Wheeler

Ask yourself if it would be ok for a kid in the backseat to shine a laser pointer at cars behind you, and I think you have your answer. No way this would be legal.
post #18 of 32 Old 11-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Granite Guru

The short answer to the legal to SELL question is probably yes.

The bigger question would be whether they are legal to use on roads.

Just like the 50 inch light bars and other LED's people put on their rigs. Are they legal to sell? Yes. Are they legal use on road? No. Generally speaking if a light is not marked as DOT approved they are not legal to use on roads. Check out the lighting section of any of the auto parts shops. Most of the fog lights are clearly labeled as not for street use. Heck, the holiday lights(used to be called Christmas) people put on there vehicles this time of year are technically not legal.

Sounds like a question you should have asked before you put 50 of them in stock on your site.
post #19 of 32 Old 11-25-2014, 09:15 AM
Granite Guru

I don't have an expert opinion on the legality of the laser, but....... I found this smokin' deal and felt that I had to share
http://www.okkolighting.com/multifun...er-p-2277.html

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
post #20 of 32 Old 11-25-2014, 09:34 AM
Granite Guru

Why anyone would want to attact that kind of attention blows my mind....
I do everything I can to avoid getting pulled over and hassled over my tires sticking out past my fenders etc
post #21 of 32 Old 11-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJK View Post
you can always ask a local officer.
I personally have absolutely no interest in this product... and to further complicate the yes or no issue... like with many modifications that I've made to vehicles in the past, you ask 3 different officers and you're likely to get 3 different answers. Problem with some ( possibly many?) officers is that they don't want to ever simply say "I don't know"... even if they don't know for sure. Basic laws they definitely know, but when it comes to modifications, upgrades, aftermarket accessories... the answers seem to be all over the place. That's just my experience, but that also means that I personally wouldn't feel 100% safe just due to what 1 particular officer said.

The bigger question ( cloaked or not) is a bit strange to ask on a forum.

To sell.... is obviously fine and is not what the OP is asking about. Although there are varying state-to-state laws regarding many different vehicle modifications, there are also federally mandated laws. If restriction is in place on a national level, then that should ( I believe) be disclosed in any and all advertisements. If legality varies from state to state, then I think that should also be disclosed. On a local law enforcement level I would venture a guess that this light could certainly get someone pulled over.. regardless of whether or not usage of this light is prohibited and subsequently illegal in that particular jurisdiction.

I simply feel that the vendor should find a better venue to find his definitive ( or not) answer... and then pass that information along to the consumer through any advertisements.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #22 of 32 Old 11-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Wheeler

I believe in some states they are banning those types of lighting accessories.
post #23 of 32 Old 11-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

Absolutely not legal for on-highway use. According to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...sec571-108.pdf), lights on front of vehicles may only be white or amber and may not oscillate or flash, except for turn signals and warning lights on authorized emergency vehicles.

However, if you put them on for show (certainly they have no functional purpose) and never use them on public roads you can do what you want.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #24 of 32 Old 11-26-2014, 08:27 AM
Rock God

Garage

It's made to go on the rear, not the front.

I had a Land Rover Discovery years back. It had an extra set of rear facing red lights designed for use in the fog. I don't see this as too far removed. It's still just a rear mounted red light designed to make you more visible from rear-approaching traffic in the fog.

_

post #25 of 32 Old 11-26-2014, 10:35 AM
Wheeler

I think the problem is that it oscillates or scans the laser back and forth. I could be wrong though. The extra Land Rover rear lights would just have been static lamps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode