2015 Unlimited speakers? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-21-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2015 Unlimited speakers?

So I went on quadratec last night to order the MOPAR Kicker replacement speakers. They only offer the sound bar 2 and the front dash 2.

My window sticker said 8. So I already knew about the tweeters but didn't see them offered on the site, and then dug up that there are apparently two smaller speakers( most likely tweeters ) in the sound bar next to the bigger speakers.

Anyone know if they offer the mopar KICKER upgrade for the tweeters for the 2015. Found the 2014's but no 15's.

Thanks

- Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-24-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

nobody with a 15 has upgraded??

even not mopar/kicker id like to change them
post #3 of 23 Old 11-25-2014, 01:25 AM
pie
Wheeler

With it being redesigned and the '15 only a few months old it may take a bit of time. I'd check on other forums that are more catered to audio upgrades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-27-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

yeah was hoping some audio enthusiast would have already ripped out the factory and installed new lol
post #5 of 23 Old 12-01-2014, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well I figured it out myself If anyone cares to know.

The rear and fronts have separate tweeters, but the kicker/mopar upgrade is a speaker/woofer/tweeter in one.

So the rear tweeters just unplug, front I would upgrade but no direct plug and play, $40-80 for a pair of decent tweeters.
post #6 of 23 Old 12-02-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDrew84 View Post
Well I figured it out myself If anyone cares to know.

The rear and fronts have separate tweeters, but the kicker/mopar upgrade is a speaker/woofer/tweeter in one.

So the rear tweeters just unplug, front I would upgrade but no direct plug and play, $40-80 for a pair of decent tweeters.
This is great information. I also have a 15' Willys edition and it was difficult looking for speakers. Thank you for the information.
post #7 of 23 Old 12-04-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicon View Post
This is great information. I also have a 15' Willys edition and it was difficult looking for speakers. Thank you for the information.
no worries. glad to help
post #8 of 23 Old 12-10-2014, 06:27 AM

I just replaced all speakers with polk db series. In the soundbar, I just went with 2-way 6.5", and unplugged the stock tweat.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfitalia View Post
I just replaced all speakers with polk db series. In the soundbar, I just went with 2-way 6.5", and unplugged the stock tweat.
Great speakers! I just got a '15 and the stock sound is great. I likely won't upgrade this jeeps sound.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #10 of 23 Old 12-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Great speakers! I just got a '15 and the stock sound is great. I likely won't upgrade this jeeps sound.

Jason
Agreed. I have them in my '14 and they sound great.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #11 of 23 Old 12-13-2014, 11:19 AM

Hi guys. I have a 2014 and a 2015 Willy's. The 2015 fronts are 6.5" woofers and a 2.5" tweeter placed flat on the dash instead of in pods. I replaced them with MBQuart separates. I used polyfill and sound dampening in the enclosures. I took the factory tweeter and with a razorblade removed the cone and then removed the driver. I then mounted the new tweeter inside the old tweeter and mounted it back in the factory location. The rears(as stated) have a separate tweeter and the wiring is in parallel (dual 4 ohm drivers show a 2 ohm load at the head unit/amp) The tweeters see a full range signal and there is a capicitor on the factory tweeter that filters out low frequencies. I filled my soundbar with polyfill and also just unplugged the tweeters when I installed a MB Quart 6.5" coaxial. I used Mopar/Metra speaker plugs. IMORTANT: If you simply replace the speakers they will NOT sound louder, as you are using a 4 ohm speaker, and the factory runs a 2 OHM which will show the factor amp less resistance and play louder. So you will have to replace all 4, but this will lower the overall output for the sake of slightly better performance. To do it right, you will need o add a 4 CH amp to the new speakers. I added a JL 300/4 and a JL 500/1 Slash Amps. I also built a custom 10" enclosure that is fastened to the tailgate with a shallow mount MB Quart 10" sub. It sound great at low levels, but I am goung to do a custom fiberglass enclosure for a JL 10w3 in the storage well.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-23-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperzcreeperz View Post
Hi guys. I have a 2014 and a 2015 Willy's. The 2015 fronts are 6.5" woofers and a 2.5" tweeter placed flat on the dash instead of in pods. I replaced them with MBQuart separates. I used polyfill and sound dampening in the enclosures. I took the factory tweeter and with a razorblade removed the cone and then removed the driver. I then mounted the new tweeter inside the old tweeter and mounted it back in the factory location. The rears(as stated) have a separate tweeter and the wiring is in parallel (dual 4 ohm drivers show a 2 ohm load at the head unit/amp) The tweeters see a full range signal and there is a capicitor on the factory tweeter that filters out low frequencies. I filled my soundbar with polyfill and also just unplugged the tweeters when I installed a MB Quart 6.5" coaxial. I used Mopar/Metra speaker plugs. IMORTANT: If you simply replace the speakers they will NOT sound louder, as you are using a 4 ohm speaker, and the factory runs a 2 OHM which will show the factor amp less resistance and play louder. So you will have to replace all 4, but this will lower the overall output for the sake of slightly better performance. To do it right, you will need o add a 4 CH amp to the new speakers. I added a JL 300/4 and a JL 500/1 Slash Amps. I also built a custom 10" enclosure that is fastened to the tailgate with a shallow mount MB Quart 10" sub. It sound great at low levels, but I am goung to do a custom fiberglass enclosure for a JL 10w3 in the storage well.

What if I use a 2 ohm full range 6.5" in the soundbar? I know JBL and Infinity both offer a few. I want to replace the speakers but adding an amp isn't in the budget. Just trying to get a little better sound but dont want to throw money away either. Or would it be possible to

Last edited by gafirefighter20; 01-23-2015 at 01:31 PM.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-23-2015, 01:48 PM

Also, are the front speakers wired the same way? I have always read that replacing the front speakers made a lot more noticeable difference than the soundbar. Are the fronts worth it without a seperate amp? If I replace them it will be with the polk db651s.
post #14 of 23 Old 01-26-2015, 09:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

I was just looking at the Mopar/Kicker 4.1 channel amp for the base system in my '15, along with those Kicker speakers. Sounds like a few people have figured out the speakers. I'm really curious if that Kicker amp Mopar and Quadratec sells will fit the '15, or if the wiring changed at all.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #15 of 23 Old 01-28-2016, 06:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafirefighter20 View Post
Also, are the front speakers wired the same way? I have always read that replacing the front speakers made a lot more noticeable difference than the soundbar. Are the fronts worth it without a seperate amp? If I replace them it will be with the polk db651s.
Interesting that this thread is going on the same time as mine. I'm thinking of replacing the fronts with the db651s and was also wondering about the separate front tweeters. Anyone know if you install these in the front, do you then disconnect the stock tweeters? I've got 2012 Rubi.
Or is it better to get separate woofer/tweeter/crossover combination and upgrade all?

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread.
Here's mine - https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...89#post3735689
which started out with this -
Suggestions for non-oem radio/nagivator/backup camera
and has morphed into speaker discussion.
post #16 of 23 Old 01-28-2016, 07:53 AM
LJR

i went with Memphis car audio speakers with built in tweeters, a kenwood 5 channel amp and kicker 10 inch sub in a super bass enclosure,
post #17 of 23 Old 01-28-2016, 11:37 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_jeep View Post
Interesting that this thread is going on the same time as mine. I'm thinking of replacing the fronts with the db651s and was also wondering about the separate front tweeters. Anyone know if you install these in the front, do you then disconnect the stock tweeters? I've got 2012 Rubi.
Or is it better to get separate woofer/tweeter/crossover combination and upgrade all?

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread.
Here's mine - https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...89#post3735689
which started out with this -
Suggestions for non-oem radio/nagivator/backup camera
and has morphed into speaker discussion.
Had a conversation with Crutchfield on this topic the other day and they said the huge majority of their JK installs are the Polk db series. One of the big selling points in a Jeep, of course, is the marine rating, so if they get rained on while the top's off, so what?

There's a thread on here somewhere, where a guy used the db6501 in the front and replaced the OEM tweeters with the db tweeters. They're a little larger, but can be made to work in the factory tweeter housings on the 2011-2013s. I'm not familiar with the tweeter setup on the 2014-up.

For the sound bar, I guess I'm on the right track, because I was going to also use the db6501 and mount the tweeters facing rear to get some highs in the back seat. It sounds like the factory has added tweeters there already, but IMO it's just more of the same to have them down-firing (for a 4 door). Unfortunately, they said the 6501 won't fit the sound bar and recommended the 651s (shallow). But a guy could always add the tweeters and crossovers to the db651s installation if the highs didn't improve enough with just the db651s.

I would agree that the dash/tweeter is the first place to work on, then the sound bar. The beauty of that is also that the sound bar is so much easier to access, so once the dash is done, it's easy to add on in steps.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #18 of 23 Old 01-29-2016, 05:27 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Had a conversation with Crutchfield on this topic the other day and they said the huge majority of their JK installs are the Polk db series. One of the big selling points in a Jeep, of course, is the marine rating, so if they get rained on while the top's off, so what?

There's a thread on here somewhere, where a guy used the db6501 in the front and replaced the OEM tweeters with the db tweeters. They're a little larger, but can be made to work in the factory tweeter housings on the 2011-2013s. I'm not familiar with the tweeter setup on the 2014-up.

For the sound bar, I guess I'm on the right track, because I was going to also use the db6501 and mount the tweeters facing rear to get some highs in the back seat. It sounds like the factory has added tweeters there already, but IMO it's just more of the same to have them down-firing (for a 4 door). Unfortunately, they said the 6501 won't fit the sound bar and recommended the 651s (shallow). But a guy could always add the tweeters and crossovers to the db651s installation if the highs didn't improve enough with just the db651s.

I would agree that the dash/tweeter is the first place to work on, then the sound bar. The beauty of that is also that the sound bar is so much easier to access, so once the dash is done, it's easy to add on in steps.
I think for the reason you just mentioned, I'm going to do the soundbar first (it's easy) and the maybe the pioneer subwoofer I saw mentioned in another post.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...art_bxgy_1_2_p
I'm trying to stay with the stock 2012 Infinity HU for now (going cheap). I'm interested to see how much difference the new soundbar speakers and sub make when stuffed with poly. Then I might try that 4.7uf capacitor tweeter mod on the stock front tweeters. Not sure if I'd replace the front speakers at that point or not. I also saw that post about cutting the 6501 tweeters into the existing tweeter housing. I probably would not want to get into that level of detail. That probably sounds counter-intuitive since I mentioned adding a new flux capacitor; and honestly I really don't want to do that mod either. There must be some better answer for the front speakers. I wondered if replacing the front speakers with 651's; does that automatically disconnect the front tweeters? In other words are they wired to the existing front woofers? Assuming that's true, if you take the front woofers out and you want the tweeters to be reconnected, you'd have to do some manual wiring I assume. I'm sure I'm showing my lack of audio knowledge here, which is a fact. I also have no idea whether having two tweeters running in tandem is a good thing or not.

Last edited by jeff_jeep; 01-29-2016 at 05:32 AM.
post #19 of 23 Old 01-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
I have a 2014 and installed a set of tweeters in the stock location.

I bought the polk db 6.5" component set. I installed the woofer in the stock location and the tweeter in the stock tweeter location. Placed the crossovers close by.

The tweeter fit, but I had to use an exacto knife and a little sand paper to enlarge the hole for the tweeter to fit. It sucked doing so, but IMHO, it was so worth it.

I did it in September, which is still warm out there (low 90s/high 80s). I don't know if I would do the front speakers much less the tweeters in the winter unless you have a warm garage and the jeep has sat in there to warm up before you start.

That's my $.02.

EDIT: I did my stereo in stages.

I first replaced the speakers and it sounded better but was still way under-powered (stock Sport am/fm/cd deck with no bt, u-connect, etc)

Then I added a the deck from my previous DD and it was worlds better.

Lastly, added an alpine 40x4rms amp for the front and sound bar speakers and added a 300x1rms amp for the JL sub.

Only gripe I have is the crappy antenna adapter for the radio. I triple checked I received the correct one but had to modify it to fit/work. Works well most of the time, but it causes just a bit of alternator whine. I play a CD or my iPod through the USB port and all is fine.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S

Last edited by ndtguy; 01-30-2016 at 04:56 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-30-2016, 05:17 PM
Granite Guru

Congrats on your project. I keep compiling information but
I think for now I'm going to back-burner this til I get my
garage built or at least ordered and paid for. Need large shed/garage
to get all my lawn and garden stuff out of the house garage.
Then I'll have a better idea what $ I have to work with.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-03-2016, 07:35 PM
Granite Guru

Stuff the soundbar tight with polyfill... big difference! The trick pack it tight and make a little pocket where the speaker mounts... I took my speaker boxes out of the dash too.. packed it tight with polyfill.
post #22 of 23 Old 02-04-2016, 05:43 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryn View Post
Stuff the soundbar tight with polyfill... big difference! The trick pack it tight and make a little pocket where the speaker mounts... I took my speaker boxes out of the dash too.. packed it tight with polyfill.
Now that I can afford for now.
Do you know of any youtube or other instructions for opening up the dash?

Thanks.
post #23 of 23 Old 02-18-2016, 05:54 PM
Granite Guru

Added ploy fill

I bought a couple of pillows at Lowes; ripped the guts out and stuffed the
sound bar and the subwoofer cavities with poly.
I didn't do the front as I don't yet know how to get to those speakers.
However, omg; what a huge difference !
It sounds so much tighter, cleaner, bass-ier (new word).
Funny that my first reaction was that the front sounded so much
better even though I hadn't touched the front speakers. Don't get me wrong; the whole experience sounded better from every direction but it
just seemed to be coming from the front.
I have no clue why it was that sensation. But I did move the fader
a little bit to the rear and it sounds fantastic !
With this much improvement, I hope to get some instruction
about how to do the front speakers.

Thanks everybody for this suggestion and I highly recommend
it to anyone else who has not done it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode