Heater fan switch quit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Heater fan switch quit

Our heater fan switch quit working. No noise from the motor to indicate binding or overload, no fried motor smell. The compressor and recirculation functions are powered from the same fuse and they still work, so the fuse is still good. Anybody experience this yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Rock God

probably the blower motor resistor went bad... this was a normal problem with the TJs and had hoped they got it fixed for the JKs!

It is a square box with various sizes of coiled wire inside of it... usually in the same box as the blower motor, if it is like the TJs.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Great info. That's what the service guy at the dealership said. Is this a pain to get to? I have to weigh having them hold my wife's limo hostage for a full day versus me pulling the part and replacing it for a few bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Rock God

LOL.

It's wasn't too bad on the TJ, just tight. Like I said, not sure where it is on the JK yet.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the input. I found it's inside the cab, about 8" above the passenger's toes. Not bad at all to get to with a short screwdriver. Thanks again.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 03:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think it may just be the fan motor itself. I replaced mine after it quit working. Its about $38 on moparpartsmerica.com and 3 screws and unplug the wire connector it comes out. Its right under the glove box, took about 3 minutes to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #7 of 8 Old 02-10-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! It doesn't work for two days, Then we get in and the darn thing fires right up and works in all ranges. Thoughts?

I can't locate a schematic for the JK but I have a TJ schematic. It shows the resistor bank on the negative side of the motor. This would put a constant current load on the resistor bank whenever the fan is on. I know, it's there no matter where it's located in the circuit... But, the current has to go through the resistors before the motor can absorb any spikes or fluctuations. If it was on the voltage side, they could have put a filtering capacitor before the motor if they were concerned about noise. Other than engineering a money maker, why would they have done it this way?
post #8 of 8 Old 02-11-2010, 06:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Mine would work fine, then it would work like it was on low when I had it on high, then it would stop blowing all together. I could turn the switch off for a few minutes and turn it back on and it would work again, till one day it finally quit working all together. I replaced the blower motor and its been fine since.

$29+shipping
http://www.moparonlineparts.com/part...layCatalogid=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode