AUDIO EXPERTS! I NEED HELP! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
AUDIO EXPERTS! I NEED HELP!

Ok, here's the deal. I have a Infinity system and stock head unit (will be changed in the future) and want to replace my stock sub with a amp and sub. I have a 2 channel amp and a single voice coil sub. I know I can hook the wires going into the factory sub to my sub amp, but not sure how I should do it.
How do you suggest that I get my audio inputs to the amp? should I use a line level converter to the RCA inputs from the factory sub inputs or just use the high level inputs on the amp?
PLEASE HELP! I don't know alot about audio and don't want to screw anything up, so an most detailed help you can give would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 08:35 PM
JKO Addict!

I would get a cheap line converter and run factory to converter to RCA on amp.
I have no idea what the factory out watts are and you would only fry a $10 converter and not your amp.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm running the line level to the factory wires and havent had a problem yet.....

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

thanks! now, how do I hook it up to the fectory wires? Which ones go where?
post #5 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 08:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Your factory sub only has two wires coming into it.
Your line level will have a 4 wire input.
Two of those wires will have a stripe and two of them wont.

If i remember correctly hook the ones with the stripes to one factory wire, and the ones without stripes to the other wire. It doesnt matter which goes to where.
Go ahead and wire up your amp and get it running, and then just touch the wires together until your subs come on.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
post #6 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

sweet! thanks!
post #7 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Granite Guru

Your factory Infinity sub has 4 wires going into it as it is a dual-voice coil sub, 2-ohms per coil. I'm not sure if this is the actual output on the amp (two outputs at 2 ohms each), or if the speaker is run in series (4-ohms) or bridged (1-ohm, very unlikely). I haven't had the time to test at the amp.

As for amp input, just plug the line levels in if your amp has that capability. Don't convert to RCA, cause the amp just converts right back. One more thing to go bad, and to wire up in the first place. Plus many line level converters will introduce serious distortion in the sound.

For anything more detailed than that, post up some pics of what you have (amp, sub) and we can all take a peak.

I haven't dug very deep into the Infinity system in the JK, but historically Infinity systems either need expensive wiring harness conversions, or completely new wiring (my preference).

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
So I guess you're calling him a dick for pointing out something dangerous, which kinda makes you a dick for calling him out and well holy fuck, it makes me a dick for calling you a dick.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Rock God

Man... ... I told you, a case of beer, and we'll get it done by a pro.

You just supply the sh_t. Plus, Nick is a fun guy to hang out w'.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-08-2010, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I know! I just want ot make sure I have everything I need before I get there!
post #10 of 11 Old 02-09-2010, 05:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuckenmeyer View Post
Your factory Infinity sub has 4 wires going into it as it is a dual-voice coil sub, 2-ohms per coil. I'm not sure if this is the actual output on the amp (two outputs at 2 ohms each), or if the speaker is run in series (4-ohms) or bridged (1-ohm, very unlikely). I haven't had the time to test at the amp.

As for amp input, just plug the line levels in if your amp has that capability. Don't convert to RCA, cause the amp just converts right back. One more thing to go bad, and to wire up in the first place. Plus many line level converters will introduce serious distortion in the sound.

For anything more detailed than that, post up some pics of what you have (amp, sub) and we can all take a peak.

I haven't dug very deep into the Infinity system in the JK, but historically Infinity systems either need expensive wiring harness conversions, or completely new wiring (my preference).

Good luck.
Hmmm, i dont remember it having 4 wires. I guess it does though. Haven't looked in a while, and have installed about 8 systems since in other cars lol.

-Doc Holiday
post #11 of 11 Old 02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
The infinity amp has 2 output channels for the sub. Each channel is a "Balanced" audio output. The Infinity sub is a dual voice coil sub. 1 channel per voice coil=4 wires.

Just an FYI...good advice!

The amp you should get should have a "speaker level" input and should only need 2 of the 4 wires from the original sub and feeding one of the inputs of the new amp. You could probably use the "Line Level" inputs, but my guess is that you would have to turn the input gain of the new amp way down. Line level inputs are made to handle 1-2 Vrms. The Infinity amp can put out 24 Vp-p on each of it's output channels....which equates to 8.5 Vrms. I'm not sure if that's what it does put out, but I'm pretty sure that's what it can put out.

The best solution would be to buy an amplifier which has "Speaker Level" inputs.
Yes to above.

Use the speaker level inputs, NOT line level. Using the line levels inputs from speaker outputs is a bad idea. That being said, anytime you splice speaker wire into RCA inputs (normal line level input), it's probably not going to work.

Most amps should handle up to 6v in line level inputs. Most mid-high quality head units will have at least 4v outputs... again line level.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
So I guess you're calling him a dick for pointing out something dangerous, which kinda makes you a dick for calling him out and well holy fuck, it makes me a dick for calling you a dick.

Last edited by rbuckenmeyer; 02-09-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode