Sirius Radio - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-18-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage
Sirius Radio

I have the RER satellite radio in my 08 Rubi. Every year the Sirius subscription cost goes up and I'm tired of that shit. Can I keep my RER and subscribe to another service? If so, which one (s) are available? Are they cheaper?

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-18-2014, 01:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

Nope, the only sat radio providers are Sirius and XM, and they merged a few years back. Also, the tuner hardware is specific to the service being used.

If you had good cell coverage and can spare the mobile data you can stream music that way using something like Pandora or Spotify on your phone, and feed it through the head unit.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #3 of 12 Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks so much for the reply. Sounds like a business opportunity to me, hmmmm.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Granite Guru

I just cancelled mine for the same reason. Almost $200 per year for music - that's insane. I have the MyGig in my 08 - so Ill be loading it full of songs
post #5 of 12 Old 11-19-2014, 10:53 AM
JKO Addict!

You can always do what I do and threaten to cancel. I don't get everything in the all access package, but I get enough and I think it only cost me around a $100 or so.

If you go that route, you can also inquire about the lifetime subscription (I think they might still be offering it). It's an off the menu option that at one time cost around $400ish I think, but you're locked into the service forever without paying more. The only time an additional fee/charge would apply is if you transfer the subscription to another receiver, then I think it's maybe a $75-$80 fee.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

Always fight with Sirius if you want to keep it. Their customer service is the worst, but you can normally get a "please come back/stay" style plan for $25 for 5 months, $30 for 6, etc, whatever they are offering at the time. Never trust them with your credit card info as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-19-2014, 11:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks so much for the reply. Sounds like a business opportunity to me, hmmmm.
Ehh not so much. The two companies merged because they weren't profitable individually and the Government kind of waved the monopoly laws because they probably would have gone under if the merger didn't happen. At least that's what I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink View Post
Always fight with Sirius if you want to keep it. Their customer service is the worst, but you can normally get a "please come back/stay" style plan for $25 for 5 months, $30 for 6, etc, whatever they are offering at the time. Never trust them with your credit card info as well.
I have had a good experience with customer service. It was actually comical. I could swear I was talking to a character from the movie/tv show Outsourced for anyone who has seen those. The guy kept trying to use American sayings like "No problem buddy" or "Your all set pal" and "anything else bro" all in an Indian accent with a fake American name. It was hilarious.

post #8 of 12 Old 11-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Wheeler

I threaten to cancel or say I can't afford their high price and they always drop the price down. I usually pay about $100 a year. I think the lowest I've ever got them to drop the price was like $80.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-20-2014, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
The guy kept trying to use American sayings like "No problem buddy" or "Your all set pal" and "anything else bro" all in an Indian accent with a fake American name. It was hilarious.
Had a similar situation with a Dell rep on the phone. He introduced himself as Bill Collins and I said hello Bill, my name is Ravi Shankar. He laughed and said "Touche Ravi".

Quote:
post #10 of 12 Old 11-20-2014, 12:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meep97 View Post
I threaten to cancel or say I can't afford their high price and they always drop the price down. I usually pay about $100 a year. I think the lowest I've ever got them to drop the price was like $80.
That's been my experience, too. There's no need to pay full price.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #11 of 12 Old 11-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Had a similar situation with a Dell rep on the phone. He introduced himself as Bill Collins and I said hello Bill, my name is Ravi Shankar. He laughed and said "Touche Ravi".
That's funny shit right there.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-20-2014, 11:26 PM
Wheeler

I phoned Sirius last year, wanting to cancel, they gave me another year at $77. The secret is not to care, and actually being committed to quitting, then it will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode