LED headlights+winter=bad! any ideas? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-18-2014, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

LED headlights+winter=bad! any ideas?

So I'm running trucklite headlights and we had our first snow storm yesterday. I had these all last year but have finally decided to try and fix my problem now. I have a long drive to work and have to stop on average 3-5 times to clean off my lights to see because they don't heat up to clean off the lenses. I have done a search and came up with nothing on this topic so far.so does anyone have any ideas or anything they are already using to melt the snow?

My only idea is to try to run a hose from the heater somewhere up to the headlights and point it down so it blows the heat onto the light. Of course I haven't looked into this at all so I have no idea how hard it would be just an idea I had. As ridiculous as this seems, pulling over on a highway with semis doing 70mph next to you and a lot of bad drivers just isn't my idea of a good adrenaline rush.

So who has ideas or plans already working?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-18-2014, 07:48 AM
Granite Guru

Thst is a big issue with led lighting. You might be better off going back to a stock type for winter.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-18-2014, 08:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Truck-Lite just introduced heated LED headlights this year at SEMA. Look for those to come out soon, maybe you can get an exchange with the upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-18-2014, 08:13 AM
JKowners Vendor

Most of the light manufacturers claim that their headlights do not provide much heath, as it may cause melting in a warm weather. Light bulbs do heat up pretty well on the filament. But it may not be enough to melt the snow on the go.

I found an older thread for you, that may be helpful: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83292

Jeep Wrangler
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #5 of 18 Old 11-18-2014, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Good find on that article. Good info too and I like they de-icer spray idea. But as for the guy who said I'll run as many lights as needed or the response from truck lights saying they still performed well in winter...well all of my off road lights and fogs were completely covered by at least an inch of snow(except my rear lights which aren't much help driving). And I know for a fact other cars lights weren't covered and no light cut through the pile up on my lights because the snow was almost packed so it was level with the grill at one point.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Wheeler

Thats why I haven't went to led headlights. I want to bad since I have led all over the jeep. But I'm in Indiana and will have the same problem. I knew I didn't want them when all my leds snowed over 2 years ago. I got the rebel hid headlights and they heat just enough to melt but just enough lol. Ive thought about going to stock for winter but stock light sucks!
post #7 of 18 Old 11-18-2014, 06:40 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Truck Lite just announced that they have a heated version of their lights coming out.

Edit - didn't read all of the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-18-2014, 08:29 PM
Rock God

I got the jw speaker led head lights and I haven't had a issue with snow build up on them up here in Canada. Going on my 3rd year

VE7 ESH
post #9 of 18 Old 11-19-2014, 09:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Personally I think the concerns about snow/ice build up on the LED headlights is overblown. Yeah I've had some snow and ice build up on my Truck-Lites, but no worse than any other halogen headlight on any other vehicle I've ever owned or driven.

If the snow is coming down bad enough to cause build up, doesn't matter what light you're using on what vehicle, you're going to have a problem.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-20-2014, 12:50 AM
CalmerThanYouAre

I wonder if you could wax the lenses so the snow won't stick as easily?

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #11 of 18 Old 11-20-2014, 03:07 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin52 View Post
I wonder if you could wax the lenses so the snow won't stick as easily?
RainX maybe?
post #12 of 18 Old 11-20-2014, 08:12 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
RainX maybe?
i've coated my fourwheeler headlights in rainx, works well until mud eats it off

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #13 of 18 Old 11-22-2014, 01:28 AM
JTB
Wheeler

I recently did the JW's also. Didn't notice the build up until I flipped on the high beams and no difference. WHAT? Got out and sure enough about 1/2 inch packed snow. Really don't want to put the stockers back in but may. And they do have wax on them and that didn't prevent it.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-27-2014, 05:10 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdog View Post
I got the jw speaker led head lights and I haven't had a issue with snow build up on them up here in Canada. Going on my 3rd year
No offense, but I'm not sure British Columbia is indicative of a true northern winter. I would be very concerned about keeping the snow off at -40, driving home in a blizzard!
post #15 of 18 Old 11-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
RainX maybe?
Tried Rain X, but it didn't help. Glass Science glass rain clear gel would be more effective.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Granite Guru

I had Truck Lites, then I had the heated Truck Lites Offroad Elements was selling last year and now I've upgraded to the Morimoto Sealed7 HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source. To say they're leaps and bounds better than the Truck Lites would be an understatement. Also, The Retrofit Source has some really sweet black friday deals going on.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VHydrNLF9Og
post #17 of 18 Old 12-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Wheeler

I live in SC but I plan on going on some trips and I'd love to go LED but since this issue has been brought up. Ill probably wait now...

US NAVY Vet 2006-2011
2013 Jeep JK Unlimited Sahara Crush
1958 Jeep FC 150 Rust
post #18 of 18 Old 12-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Wheeler

honnestly, the only times I had issues in the past two years, is when it snows around 0. When its really cold, the lens stays cold, and so is the snow, so it just flow around without sticking.

2016 JKU
37" Nitto mud grapplers/ZX 5 wheels
Rubicon axles/4.88 gears/sleeves & gussets
Custom front bumper/XRC rear/Genright carrier
etc. etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode