European Spec self-leveling headlights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-15-2014, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
European Spec self-leveling headlights

The European standard these days calls for self-adjusting/leveling headlamps. I'm assuming that the Euro JK has some self adjusting motorized levelers possibly with an inside manual control much like I've seen in European sportscars. I'd like to retro-fit my JK with the levelers

Anybody done this? Seen this? Have a source for the parts? My searches turned up a bunch of nothing.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-15-2014, 11:30 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

If you look at the radiator surround on the JK, there is already a provision for the adjuster linear motors, the harness replacement and electronics would the hard part. I imagine you'd have to replace a portion or all of that harness and get something flashed. The only thing i'm not certain of is whether the leveling is controlled locally inside each leveler or through a BCM function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

The kit you're looking for is also fitted to Aussie spec Jk's.
here's a pic of the motor and plug, 3 pin on my small finger.
The name on the unit is Valeo France.

Sorry about the huge pics.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-15-2014, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks, that's a start at least.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get the parts/harness and likely reflashing needed to make it all integrated like yours comes from the factory. But, I might be able to lay hands on the adjusting motors and run some manual switches to control them.

Now a part number for those motors would be nice, anybody?

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....

post #5 of 10 Old 11-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post

Now a part number for those motors would be nice, anybody?
55397478AA

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #6 of 10 Old 12-24-2017, 08:45 AM

that would be handy, and not too difficult if the wiring harness is the same. since it's a selectable position switch, don't see why it would require a flash, just needs power.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-24-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Yeah, but I suspect it's like everything else on the JK... that switch does not power the adjusters directly, but rather tells the CAN bus that you want the headlights adjusted, then the body control module or something does the actual work.... For that to happen with the factory switch, the Jeep would have to be flashed to know that it has the adjustable headlight option.

My original thought was to bypass the CAN bus and setup the adjusters to a manual switch... but it's easier to just turn the torx driver a little each time I switch between the hardtop and soft top.

I'd be cool though, and if someone else figured it out, I'd totally copy it.

_

post #8 of 10 Old 12-24-2017, 09:42 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Yeah, but I suspect it's like everything else on the JK... that switch does not power the adjusters directly, but rather tells the CAN bus that you want the headlights adjusted, then the body control module or something does the actual work.... For that to happen with the factory switch, the Jeep would have to be flashed to know that it has the adjustable headlight option.
Unlikely in this case. A CAN bus device would typically have a minimum of 4 wires. GND, +12V, CANH, and CANL. With only 3 pins, something else is going on. It could be some other digital protocol, but I would be tempted to say it's probably GND, Motor, and Sensor and could be manually wired up. Not sure, just a gut feel on this part.

A device of this simplicity is often not actually CAN (similar to how E-lockers, ABS sensors, etc. are not CAN). You never know though, because you'd think the E-swaybar would not be CAN and it is.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-24-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
Unlikely in this case. A CAN bus device would typically have a minimum of 4 wires. GND, +12V, CANH, and CANL. With only 3 pins, something else is going on. It could be some other digital protocol, but I would be tempted to say it's probably GND, Motor, and Sensor and could be manually wired up. Not sure, just a gut feel on this part.

A device of this simplicity is often not actually CAN (similar to how E-lockers, ABS sensors, etc. are not CAN). You never know though, because you'd think the E-swaybar would not be CAN and it is.
Drive too fast and the computer will disengage your lockers... definitely not a simple switch-controlled on-off circuit.

_

post #10 of 10 Old 12-24-2017, 11:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post

Drive too fast and the computer will disengage your lockers... definitely not a simple switch-controlled on-off circuit.
Yes the computer is controlling it, but there's no CAN or computers in the axles, just a 12v actuator and resistive plunger sensor. You can bypass and add your own locker switches easily easily because there's no CAN in the axle. Contrasted to the sway bar which requires some electrical knowledge and skills to figure out how to bypass through internal modifications because it takes CAN commands directly.

I'd guess this box is much more like the lockers than the sway bar. Both are computer controlled, but only one takes actual digital communication protocol inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode