6" Eagle Eye HID - Review - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-03-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

6" Eagle Eye HID - Review (pics added)

First of all. A bit of how I will use these (or plan on using these). I live in Northern Canada. Its dark all winter long, and animals are plentiful (a moose (or buffalo) will total the jeep - and there's lots of them). I do enough night driving locally that I want to be able to see what's in front of me. When driving south (1500 miles), I try to do as much night driving as possible. The roads are all single lane unlight highways. Traffic consists of lots of motorhomes (or other RVs) and semi's (everything is trucked up here). I've now tried two different brands of lights. Some Rugged Ridge HIDs (both 4" and 7") and some Lightforce 170 Strikers.

The 7" RRs (in a euro/driving beam pattern) were decent, but big (the 7" seems to be a lot bigger than the 6" EE). The Lightforce lights were good and adjustable. If it wasn't for the $300 per light price tag (for HIDs) I'd happily get those (and still might down the road for the roof rack). The EE's kicked the snot out of the halogen 170's for distance though.

Testing was done in total darkness, while snowing (). I hooked the light directly to the battery, and held it at hood level.

The lights have an internal ballast, and from what I can tell, a very simple easy to use mounting/aiming bracket (I haven't mounted these yet, nor have I played with the bracket at all). However from what I can see, it will be very easy to direct these lights exactly where I want them. The lights come with a nice blackout cover, which will likely be needed (at least up here) due to the rocks on the road. The lens's are glass.

I picked up three of these lights in a spot beam pattern for the front of my jeep. Tonight I had the chance to take them out to the local gun range to see what sort of distance they would get.

I figured for the price (RDM = $139 each) 300-400 yards of useable light would be acceptable. The single light hit 400 yrds like it was nothing. Had it not been snowing I believe I would have light up 500 yrds without any issues. As it was, I could barely make out the tree's at 500 yrds. If the gun range was longer (and it wasn't snowing), I firmly believe it would have gone well past 500 yrds. The light keeps a nice tight spot beam the whole way out.

The only thing I didn't quite expect was how tight the beam pattern held. There's very little residual light escaping. This means that I believe someone would have to use the spot beam light with some driving or flood beam lights to truly cover the road & ditches. Fortunately for me, I had planned on using four 4" RR lights to cover this (I like LOTS of light).

Pros:
-Well priced at $139 each
-Looks good
-Internal Ballast
-500yard range
-At 6" its still fairly compact
-Nice tight spot beam
-Decent aiming bracket

Cons:
-No residual light escaping the beam pattern (would have to work this with some other lights (driving/flood) to cover the ditches, etc
-Glass lens - I'll be keeping the nice blackout cover on until its time to use these
-No after market tinted lens (am thinking amber)

All in all a great light for the price. I plan on using at least 3 of these (have been thinking of getting a 4th lately) on the front of my jeep. fortunately for me, I plan on using some (four) 4" HID driving lights (driving/euro beam pattern) to get the corners and ditches (two on the bumper, two on the window frame). These spots are only to reach way out there... which they appear to do very well. I'll attempt to take some pictures one night when it's not snowing. However in the past I've had horrible luck taking a picture of lights and their output.

All in all, great light. Would recommend to anyone looking for HID lighting that won't break the bank. When I looked around (RDM had the best pricing).

Eagle Eye - 6" HID Internal Ballast Off Road Light - FREE SHIPPING!

Quick update: I took the lights out to the lake last night, and the single light was hitting the far shore - just over 550 yards away! The light quality was not the best at that distance... (maybe 3.5/10).

Last edited by Riptide; 03-09-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Granite Guru

I agree with these statements. I have the same lights and I am planning to mount them at the bottom corners of the windshield on this light bar. I did similar "hand held" tests as mentioned above and I liked the results. I am also using an 18" LED bar in the hoop of the front bumper and a 50" LED bar over the windshield to fill in any lighting gaps left by the Eagle Eyes. My light bar was just completed at KMA fabrication and should be here any day!! When it arrives we'll get everything mounted and I'll post some more results.

Last edited by Hot Duck; 02-09-2010 at 10:20 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I've looked at LED light bars (okay oggled is a better term), but I just can't justify the price. At some ploint I might finally seriously consider it (when LED lights are more common, and the price comes down - a lot). But until then, I think with a decent combo of lights; some spots for distance, and driving/flood for the ditches and corners, you can get a better bang for buck value with HIDs.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-04-2010, 01:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That LED/KMA set up is exactly what I've been contemplating, but again the $$$ for the 52" LED is steep to say the least. However it should look pretty damn cool when its done Duck, be sure to post up some finished pics.

I'd like to see what you guys come up with on the tests....though my experience is PIAA is still the leader in most things when it comes to bulb based lighting.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-04-2010, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
I'd like to see what you guys come up with on the tests....though my experience is PIAA is still the leader in most things when it comes to bulb based lighting.
Now I'll admit I didn't look too hard, but first search result I pulled up gave me a price of $920 for two HIDs. So $460 per lamp. That's the cost of three of these 6" EE lights. Is PIAA three times as good? I somehow doubt a the PIAA 2100 HID is going to get 1 mile in useable light. While not having tested the driving light beam pattern I don't think that this PIAA light would be able to match 3 of these lights configured like that.

I'm not saying that this EE light is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm just telling you what the light did in an attempt to give other buyers an idea of this lights capabilities. Low price (in HID light terms) doesn't always mean cheap results.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #6 of 16 Old 02-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Rock God

Did you get a chance to mount these yet?

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #7 of 16 Old 02-08-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Nope not yet. I got the steel cut for the mount, but I still need to pick up some wiring, and am waiting for the switches and boxes I ordered to arrive. Am going to work on a custom nockoff of SPOD and/or 12volt guys boxes.

It will probably be another few weeks to a month at least. I've done my main road trip south for the winter, and around town is less of a concern.

But I did take them out to the lake last night... distance to the far shore... 550 yards... which was just about the limit of the light (useable light was around 3.5/10)... Still, much better than I expected. If I can't find my 4" RRs, I'll be ordering 2 more of these in a driving beam pattern, and possibably another spot. Will look at 4 on the bumper, and 2 on the window frame.

I still can't believe how far these reach out. The only two knocks on them is it's a glass lense (larger potential to break/crack from rocks), and there's no amber plastic lense cover. Otherwise these are great for the money.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #8 of 16 Old 02-09-2010, 08:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Awesome review!! I will be taking a serious look at these lights in the near future.

Looking forward to the installed pics!
post #9 of 16 Old 02-27-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well I finally got around to making my light bar (or rather my buddy who welds did... but I helped ). The fact that I have 12 hrs of driving to do next week for work really motivated me to get this done...

Anyway here's some pics...

And finally... we all know that not only does a snazy light bar add at least 5HP per light, but that it'll also compensate for the crappy tires I have...
Now if only the tires had arrived on time like they were suppose to... sigh... Thankfully I always have my SOS Shovel with me to bail me out...

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Last edited by Riptide; 02-28-2010 at 12:34 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-09-2010, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Some pics of the lights & output. Go figure... now that I figured out how to take some pics... it starts snowing... Anyway here's some pics... I'll try to grab some more tomorrow night if its nice out. Keeping in mind that these don't even come close to doing it justice... Well the last two are fairly accurate...

Oh and keep in mind that these lights are still not aimed correctly... they're all aimed to the left too much...

Pic 1: Low Beams + Fogs

Pic 2: Highs

Pic 3: HIDs - the trees in at the fringe are 350+ yrds away. In reality I could easily make out the trees...

Pic 4: HIDs - it's hard to tell in this picture (I shrunk it) but there's 4 telephone poles there.

Pic 5: 1 EE + 2 4" HIDs (I didn't have anything to cover the RRs with, or I would have covered those as well.

Pic 6: Front Driver Side from 50 yrds

Pic 7: Front Passenger Side from 50 yrds

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #11 of 16 Old 03-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Rock God

Not bad for only 175W of lighting!

With some minor adjustments you will be able to see pretty much anything in your path.

Follow us on:

post #12 of 16 Old 04-03-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Initial thoughts... not too impressed with the new driving lights that arrived the other day. I'll take them out again tonight and see... maybe it was just me (surprisingly this has happened). I took some pics, but am too lazy to post them, so they'll have to wait.

EDIT:
Well I hooked up the EE 6" HID driving lights that arrived last week. Gotta say, I'm not to impressed with them. The driving beam pattern was pretty poor. The Rugged Ridge HIDs I have toss out a wider beam pattern.The light went out maybe 300-350 yrds and wasn't what I was hoping for at all.

After the spot beams above surprised the hell out of me, these simply performed in an average manor. I'd almost be tempted to see about returning them and getting some 7" HIDx HIDs for the WS (although the 7" lights are pretty damn big). Except I'm too cheap to pay the shipping back to RDM.

I don't think I'd recommend the EE driving beams to anyone. For this beam pattern take a look at HIDx. They come with a rock cover, so you don't always have to keep them covered, and the 4" lights performed almost as well as the 6" EEs.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Last edited by Riptide; 04-04-2010 at 02:18 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-25-2010, 04:36 PM

Hello

If you are looking for a wider pattern, you may want to consider the flood pattern. It floods out pretty nice and it is just a matter of changing out your lens and reflectors. You can also go with Spot, if you were happier with those. The lens and reflectors retail for about $13.00 per piece.

The driving pattern has a crisp sharp cutoff. The flood beam will give you a wider coverage. It is a cross between a driving and a Spot, and is made to flood out more. The flood is our best selling beam pattern for a wider coverage.

If you like you can e-mail me at [email protected] and I can help you with part numbers.

The best light we offer is our HID906 (9" round Internal Ballast) and it has a wide driving beam and shoots over 2000 feet.

You can also feel free to call me at (909) 392-0822 if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Jessica
Eagle Eye Lights
J F MFG CORP
post #14 of 16 Old 08-30-2010, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks Jessica for the reply, and welcome to the forum.

While I couldn't get these lights (the driving beam) to do what I had intended/wanted/hoped them to do, I have found that they work great on the trail (mind you a flood would probably work in this same instance). As they're mounted on the WS they usually stay pretty clean (compared to the ones on my bumper), and do wonders lighting up the sides.

But for my highway driving I had something specific in mind that I was looking for these lights to fullfill - and while they work, and are very affordable, they didn't do what I was looking for.

No offense, but I was actually hoping for a wider pattern that projected like the spots (because those are freaking amazing). Other lights I've used have done it, and was hoping for the same. I doubt I would get the range I want with floods, and for this reason have stayed away from floods.

I've sold these ones to a friend who loves them. Had I known I could change out the len's for $13 I would have done so instead of selling them, or before buying other EE spots (currently have four 6" EE HID spots, w/ 3 mounted).

As for the 9" ones, I've been seriously considering getting a pair (with the 70w ballasts) for my next jeep, or when I need to replace some of my existing lights. However the price is somewhat prohibitive until it's needed (I'm also undecided between spots or the driving beam pattern).

I have a few Qs about those, but will shoot you guys an email.

However may I make a suggestion? For your product description (on your site or others), no where do you describe what the lens is made out of. Some people don't like the idea of a glass lens (as it means the light would/might have to be covered to ensure it doesn't get damaged while not in use). Where as if the lens was made from a plastic, then this wouldn't be an issue. This isn't an issue for me, as I have other lights that I keep uncovered and only use the EEs when I want longer range lights (usually for the highways). But it might be something people would like to know prior to spending their money. Just a thought.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Last edited by Riptide; 09-01-2010 at 01:56 AM.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Rock God

An update on this review.

As Riptide stated in the review, the Eagle Eyes only came with a black abs cover.

We now carry a clear polycarbonate snap-on shield for those of you looking to protect the glass lens while in use.

The clear shields can be found here: http://www.rdmoffroad.com/clear-poly...es-lights.aspx

Follow us on:

post #16 of 16 Old 05-12-2011, 01:53 AM
Rock God

I think they should come with these or some type of guard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode